Canadian Grand Prix 2008 | FerrariChat

Canadian Grand Prix 2008

Discussion in 'F1' started by italiafan, Dec 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Tickets went on sale today.
    I've got mine, get busy!
    Unfortunately the conversion rate sux......approx. $800 USD for 2 tix!
    Yikes.

call 1-514-350-0000
    or
    www.grandprix.ca

2. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    bought mine. can't wait, will drive up from NYC

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    F1 = greed. Those better be good seats for that price. This is one of many reasons we find sports cars more appealing. We get to see real racing with Ferraris, full track access, covered grandstand across from the pits, paddock acccess, driver autograph sessions, fantastic support races (European Ferrari Challenge - both divisions) and 24 hours of racing at Spa for 60€ per person for the weekend. LMS (four classes running at same time - LMP1, LMP2, GT1 & GT2) race at Monza is similar in all ways to FIA-GT at Spa but we get the "Discovery Package" for $150€ per person for the weekend and get VIP parking, gourmet lunch both days, Classic endurance races, Formula Renault, and others. Perhaps it's time to consider the other side of racing???

Carol

4. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A season pass to Mid-Ohio is $235. Includes pit access and infield parking.

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    F1 is not the only greedy group, my season tickets to the losing Miami Dolphins is $5000/seat for seven games ($700+/game). Thankfully I sell them to a diehard fan every year.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    OT but there will never be a Dolphin team as great as the Grease, Csonka, Warfield day's.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You get what you pay for.

The top of motorsports costs top dollars. As simple as that.

If I want to save $$$ I can watch go kart races at our local track for free.

8. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow Andreas look at your post count just in time for xmas..20k...;)

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Congrats Andreas !!!!!

Damn, I was late in contacting them and now section 7 and 6 (singles only) in Stand 12 are gone as are 1,2,3 in 11. Senna is the best imho ...25 seconds of viewing time plus the start/finish ...

10. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Got mine Friday afternoon at 4:35 level 1 section 1 Row H Not bad who else will be there!

11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looking at Stands 33 and 34,,how are they? Also does anyone know what hotel the Ferrari team stays at? What are some of the hotels the F-chatters stay at?

First time Canadian GP attendee so please forgive my numerous ????. Thanks!

12. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    Ferrari stays at the St. james.

13. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    I have ordered tickets. Myself and at least one other F-chattter will be driving our Ferrari up from Detroit.
    Have not mede room rservations yet. Where is everyone else staying?

The Canadian brothers had made some recomendations:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175182

14. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    A giant bunch of us from New England are heading up together. Sitting in Grandstand 34, in the hairpin, staying at a hotel together too. May have a couple of ticket/hotel packages left, PM me if interested...

vty,

--Dennis

15. Theo

Theo Formula Junior

May 6, 2002
    Westford, MA
    Full Name:
    Theo Pappas
    our gang is back in Grandstand 12, section 6 again this year. Will be drving up with the 355 from MA. Staying at the Hilton again for the same price as last year.

Theo

16. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    I stay at the Hotel Place dArmes, same as Redbull (they have the prettest girls!).

17. JStone414

JStone414 Formula 3

Sep 23, 2004
    Gotham
    Full Name:
    Roman Sionis
    how much per night?

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Intercontinental is next door. Small gym, nice bar. Nice spot located close to Metro in Old Montreal.

19. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    next training period F1 in Valencia Spain circuit, around 10/15€...

not the same value, not the same spectacle, but it s for all day.

20. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    We don't have Bernie to blame for that - I think the current administration should take a little blame. Six years ago you got $1.32 Canadian for one US dollar.

21. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    didn't call the hotels, but online there seems to be no rooms for the st james or intercontinental.

22. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I would agree with you except it's not a particularly level playing field. I bought tickets for Monza. I was going to go to the start/finish line but it was 850 euro PER ticket - almost $1,000. Now, Bernie keeps raising his prices to the track. As long as he can get that money from someone else (like a country who will subsidize it - i.e. Turkey, China, Bahrain, India and many others) then he will keep taking more and more - as much as he can. The problem however is that many of the "traditional" races like Monza, Spa, Germany and others must come up with somewhat equal funds and since the governments aren't subsidizing the races, they need to find that money somewhere else. That means obscene ticket prices. And that means many of the "real" fans who support F1 year after year can't afford to go because people in China and Bahrain, for whom F1 is a curiosity, will go instead.

From a completely capitalist standpoint there's nothing wrong with this. From the standpoint of a real fan who wants to see the race, it really sucks.

23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hecklestone has repeatedly warned that the historic venue Silverstone is in danger of losing the British Grand Prix.

Like you say Mike as long as there are other country's prepared to pay for F1, he will use it to bargin with, Historic value means nothing to him Cash/Dollars is the only speak Bernie know's and he is a master at that ,for good or bad debateable it's us that pay through the bloody nose though.

24. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    As with the US GP.

25. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Spot on.

But tuttebenne is right too:
    Without starting a political debate it was/is Bush's official plan to lower the value of the dollar so the country can export more. He managed and it helps the economy, downside is, that travel abroad for us has become insanely expensive.

True, but that's not so much because of economics, but because he deals with a stubborn BRDC which is very reluctant to bring the track up to modern specs. Instead of building bigger and better grandstands for the true fans, they built themselves a pompous club house. Only recently - thanks to Bernie's pressure - have they started to improve the infrastructure of the track as well.

Not quite true: Ecclestone has said it and it probably is written down somewhere in one of his FOM contracts, that the nucleus of the classic GPs can not be touched: The numbers fluctuate slightly but around 5 historic GPs is what is defined as a permanent cornerstone of F1 so the series does not loose its roots. Just as F1 couldn't exist without Ferrari, the race calendar must have Monaco, Monza, a British, a French and a German GP. Bernie is in it for the money, but he is smart enough to realize that e.g. a solely Asia based F1 series wouldn't attract European fans and companies anymore.

PS: I'm not sure the US fans fully understand what they lost when the GP went away: Those USGP prices were absolute bargains compared to what fans have to pay elsewhere. I kept one of those "Admit one" ticket stubs for a practice day. It was something like ten bucks. You pay more at Monza just to park your car. If the GP ever returns I'd be willing to pay Euro prices for my seats. It would still be lots cheaper as I can travel by car instead of plane and pay for everything in my own currency.