Miles Davis & 10669 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Miles Davis & 10669

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Doody, Dec 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It appears that quite a few of us have an appreciation for jazz. Some of us are even musicians. If there is not already one should we create a jazz thread on F-chat? Would anyone use this?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Strange - I have a very, very vivid memory of Napolis's post on the old FChat about Miles Davis and his wrecked Miura, but I can't find it at all using any of the expected keywords.

3. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005

lvferraripilot, brother I envy you. I started listening to jazz long after Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Bill Evans and John Coltrane had passed away. I never heard them live.

I agree that "Art Pepper meets the rhythm section" is his best work but Art Pepper + Eleven is a pretty close second. Pepper's version of 'Round Midnight is my favourite.

Cheers

4. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005
    Sounds great. Ferraris and jazz are a great pairing like Cabernet Sauvignon and filet mignon. A single malt scotch thread would also be a good idea.

5. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Jazz & F-cars go together very well. My sax actually fits in the 308 booth, and 'Live around the world' is often in the CD player, the car being 2 years old when the album was recorded.

Anyone has a pic of Miles with his 308?

And so I find out why my personality is somewhat strange to many, right here on F-chat...

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Art's rendition of 'Round midnight was great indeed. I can't stand speaking with other professional musicians about Art Pepper because so many state Art Pepper was not as technically procifient on the horn as he should have been, but his music was great. Miles Davis was not technically proficient on his horn at any time in his career; matter of fact, a recording Miles did with Charlie Parker was recorded by two seperate trumpet players because Miles could not play the head of the tune.

Miles only solo'd on the tune (very poorly at that). The tune in question was 'Be-bop' and Dizzy had to play the head with Parker, and then let Miles solo. On some records it says the trumpet player was DIz, the others say Miles. They are both right lol. Why Parker did not want Dizzy to do the whole tune is as mysterious as Parker himself.

My point is, technical proficiency has nothing to do with Miles' music, and I think that is why Miles was so great. He saw obsessed, unbalanced jazz musicians in a constrant struggle with themselves to reach a level of mastery over their instrument which is not required. Miles wrote a tune which amplified his opinion called, "So WHat" which was practically my school's theme song (Berklee, Boston) while I was there. The only difference was, most Berklee students (myself included) were entirely too technically obsessed with their instruments to play the very sparse tune in question correctly. I unfortunately am still technically obsessed and most likely practice much more then I am sure is necessary, but that's ok. The Ferrari and my wife balance it all out.

7. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    now ya talking a malt thread

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Two actually.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In the dictionary under the word "Cool" this very image with Miles sitting nonchalantly on the hood of his Miura should be posted.

He has a particularly mischevious look in his eye, and for those who have researched the trumpeting genius' life story, this meant he was up to no good :)

One of my absolute favorite automotive images of all time...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not particularly rare or interesting - like many music maestros of the period, he had been partying hard at night and driving in the wee hours of the morning he fell asleep at the wheel and stuffed the Miura. Broke both his ankles too according to the local press report.

The interesting part is upon recovery he went right out and bought another...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Awesome story Joe. Thanks!

12. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Was the first one totalled or was it rebuilt later on?

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I beleive it was rebuilt.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #39 Miltonian, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I borrowed a copy of "Miles: The Autobiography" for the afternoon so that I could run a copy of this picture, in answer to the request in an earlier post.

Photo credit: Teppei Inokuchi
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There was a bit more to it than that. He didn't fall asleep at the wheel. He tried to make a right angle turn at 60 mph from the left lane of the West side Highway to the 125 ST exit across three lanes of traffic. He didn't make it. He hit the WPA Stone exit ramp and the Lime Green Miura came apart like Brazilian plywood in the rain. I pulled over and ran back to his car. He was wearing leather pants and the bones of both of his legs were sticking through the pants. He was bleeding badly.

He looked at me and said: " Is my car ****ed up?" I told him the car was gone. He said: " I got to take a look." I told him both legs were broken and he wasn't going anywhere. I ripped up a shirt I found on the floor and told him to hold the cloth over the bleeding with pressure as it was getting bad but not arterial. There were two large plastic bags filled with white powder on the floor and one had broken open. The interior was dusted. I grabbed the bags and ran to the sewer and chucked them. He screamed: "What the **** you doing????" I used rain water to wipe down the car as best as I could.

The cops arrived. One of them asked me who I was. I told them just one of the guys he cut off. He looked at Miles and at me and told me to split.

Years later I was directing "Shakedown" with Peter Weller. Weller liked Miles's music and I told him that story. One night he went to hear Miles. He went back stage where Miles recognized him. "Hey Robo" Peter told him the story and asked if it was true. Miles got real quiet and said: " I always wondered who that White Mother ****er was. You thank him for me and tell him to come by anytime."

Miles was in the hospital for a long time and didn't play for almost a year. He did make hours of basement tapes which he gave to Sal. One day maybe we'll release them but they're pretty raw...

16. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
  17. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    What a great piece of story Jim !!! Thanks !

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The rest of us got the media version...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Jeff,

Many thanks for locating and posting that pic! Now I need to blow it up BIG and put it up.

Looks like I better find me a copy of the book too, should be interesting reading:)

Happy motoring,

Jack.

20. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Jack: The book was in a stall next to my wife's space at an antique store in town here. It was originally priced at $22.95, they have it marked at $8.00, appears to be unread. I'm afraid I don't know anything about Miles, so I can't say if it's a "good read". It's copyright 1989. If you want it, I'll buy it and send it to you at my cost. I suppose you might be able to find it at your local library?

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

Hmm.

I did a little checking on this one because I tend to remember details clearly from when I originally researched them and here is what comes up:

Literature by Mike Zwerin, Jack Chambers ("The Music & Times of Miles Davis") and Paul Tingren ("Miles Beyond") all concurr on one thing - the ace trumpeter "broke both ankles", not his legs, as the hospital reports at the time apparently showed.

In Jack Chambers' publication, Miles Davis himself recounts: "I was still up all night from that gig in Denver (October 20th 1972).... I ran up on an island. I was just tired..."

Paul Tingren's publication also based on recounts by Miles himself is more detailed and it states: "...driving after taking a sleeping pill, Miles fell asleep behind the wheel of his Lamborghini..."

I say the aforementioned "right angle turn... across three lanes of traffic" occured because the maestro fell asleep at the wheel.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Unlike those guys I was there. He was wide awake when he crossed my bow and his eyes were as big as saucers. The bones sticking through his leather pants were leg bones. The white power wasn't sleeping pills. The "Island" was the left side of the 125 ST exit ramp.

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    OK Jim, lets agree to differ.

I will say this: losing control of your Miura after youve fallen asleep has a way of getting you wide awake real fast :)

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

24. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005

Who was he playing with at the time?

25. mrfissa

mrfissa Karting

May 27, 2005
    #50 mrfissa, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017