Singapore GP tobacco rules | FerrariChat

Singapore GP tobacco rules

Discussion in 'F1' started by rex, Dec 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rex

rex Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2006
    Will it be ///// or Marlboro?

Somehow, the ferrari livery just doesn't look right without Marlboro.

I personally hope it's Marlboro. Counting in China, Bahrain, and Monaco, there will be 4 (hopefully) chances to see the SF with the M added on

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think /////

they raced in Malaysia this year with the /// decals.

3. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Personally I don't like the new script they are using for the Marlboro liveries, I much prefer the old style that made it look more than the cigarette box. Then again it shouldn't really bother me that much considering I don't smoke.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    +1

There are more Asian GPs in the near future with India and Korea potentially coming on.

Just today I received Marlboro decals to make my 2007 F1 models more authentic! Yipiee!

5. rex

rex Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2006
    yeah, i am not a smoker either, but i do think the Marlboro Decal is the best.

As far as Korea, I think there will be a big chance it's gonna be Marlboro. India. hmmm fair chance!
    You have to know, in Korea, tobacco is a huge governmental business. They give away cigerattes to military soilders for free during their service. Go figure...

I think we can count in Abu Dhabi next year to be Marlboro as well!

By the way tifosi12, did you get your model from Amalgam? That's the only place I know will put the decals on for you.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #6 tifosi12, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, Abu Dhabi, you're right.

I bought the car off ebay. Came from Hong Kong without any stickers (not even a box). Found the decals on ebay from a guy in England. Applied them myself. The car is now basically in Bahrain livery, colors and shape (no candy apple red, no front canards).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. rex

rex Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2006
    my, that is beautiful! I am looking for decals for my Schumacher 248F1 as well. Can you give me so info of where you get it?

thanks

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks.

Here you go:
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZ125chump

9. rex

rex Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2006
    thanks. i will give it a try.

10. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think this year, the Marlboro livery looks really good. hated that //// thing...

11. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    It's funny that I have been in a heated debate with a friend who is a McLaren lover and think's Ferrari is breaking the rule's with their /// insignia ? He say's "oh it's the barcode for the Marlboro brand and they are should be fined"! What say you?

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very difficult to answer. Strictly speaking tobacco is banned from F1 at most races yet the piano keys are on the car and we all know they stand for Marlboro. So yes, they are breaking the rule. However it seems that the FIA doesn't care about that as long as it is not the real logo.

In the past when there were (Euro) races where tobacco was already banned other teams (e.g. McLaren with West) used similar tactics by applying fake logos that hinted at the brand without naming it (remember the East stickers on the McLarens, or "Buzzin Hornets"?). That was tolerated as well.

In essence the FIA seems to be happy as long as the teams don't use the real logos. That in return has driven all but Marlboro out of F1 (and opened the doors for new sponsors, who didn't want to be seen alongside tobacco). So either Marlboro is naive and superloyal to Ferrari or it is still working for them.

On a sidenote: The 2007 Ferrari used Marlboro logos at Bahrain, Monaco and China that were a departure from their usual font. The text was kinda like italic. Sounds to me that this was Marlboro's concession to the harsher times. So even where tobacco isn't really banned, they don't use the original font.

13. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    I think it'll be tough luck on this. The govt here discourages smoking by imposing heavy taxes on cigarettes. A pack of 12 costs about US$8? Lots of people try to smuggle them in & those get caught are heavily fined+jailed. Other than this you got to deal with the rights groups etc etc.

14. rex

rex Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2006
    i am not a smoker myself. but i still love the old days where michael's red/white ferrari has the huge marlboro sign on it's tail. 2007's livery looked strange at first, but i think i have grown to like it. who knows what 2008's livery will be. we can find out as early as bahrain test this year.

Sucks though, last year, 2007, 3 more countries banned the tobacco campaigns - australia, malaysia, and japan. But I guess that's why there's more middle east and asian races coming up.

15. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i wonder how they allowed to run alcohol brands, and banning smoking ads and sponsors.