gaddafi 430 seized in germany | FerrariChat

gaddafi 430 seized in germany

Discussion in '360/430' started by tonyh, Jan 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BradM360

BradM360 Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Quite scary... I think this could happen to all of us driving 430... the stock exhaust is so loud.....

Anybody knows how many dB's with full rev's??

2. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
  3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    i think you're reading too much into it personally - this could be anyone's car stopped for the same reason

4. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    No doubt it's just because Porsche keep complaining in German press about how Ferrari and Lamborghini ignore all the noise rules

Isn't the noise curve on the 430 designed specifically to get round one of the German/EU sound tests where is measures the maximum level after xx m?

5. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I believe your preaching to the wrong choir.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Well, i dont know which of his sons , but one of them ( or maybe all of them ? ) always make the headlines in the europress for behaving like rock stars on coke in public and ignoring the laws. Last year one of them was running away from the paris police in a Lambo or Ferrari...

If the exhaust is stock in the F430 , he shouldnt have any problem though.

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

He must have modified the exhaust in some way. The stock exhaust is fine when the valves are closed and it's easy to close them when you choose to do it by taking it easy. Either he had the valves permanently open, modified exhaust or he's just an idiot and deserves what the got.

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    It does happen, one of the guys inthe office in Zürich has an EVO 8, the police seized it at the traffic lights one morning on his way to work and told him to get the bus

9. 993 911

993 911 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Jack D
    He would have gotten a thumbs-up had he been in a CGT!

10. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Did you read the article? The third sentence says

"Officers claimed that they recorded 110.5 decibels from the sports car's exhaust system instead of the permitted 98 decibels. "

11. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    he didnt ask where his was recorded at, he asked what 430 is a full rev....

12. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I don't believe that answered his question.

13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Well basically all F430s are technically illegal noise wise and why do you think the Challenge Stradale is banned from virtually every public track day on any circuit around Europe, please read "the last of the truly great ferraris post"

14. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    He must have really got some sorta crazy exhaust.

I replaced my 355 exhaust with a TUV approved sport auspuff. It is loud and its approved.

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Different country, different car, different exhaust, different circumstances. Exactly how is this relevant?

In all fairness, it seems he was warned before, and he can get the car back if he pays the nominal fine and takes the corrective actions. What is the big deal?

16. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron

Same country, same city, same laws, and same manufacturer.

My 355 is in Munich and I bet your prematurely jumping to the conclusion I'm talking about a car in Arizona.

I thought by writing "TUV approved sport auspuff" would be the dead giveaway.

17. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Yes, I saw AZ listed in your profile. I still don't see how a different exhaust system, on a completely different model, is even remotely relevant, even if you are running the car in the same country? Or are you saying that their exhaust system for the 355 is identical in design and performance to the one on the 430 and therefore should be within the allowable noise levels, since yours is??

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron

I dont understand your comments.....

There are alot of laws in Germany about noise. It doesnt take much to see that a stock Ferrari is too quiet for most. (stock being either F355 or 430....take your pick). It also then means alot of Ferrari owners in Germany..or Munich ...replace their exhausts on their Ferraris. Well there are 2 types. the "TUV approved" kind and then all the others. My "TUV approved sportauspuff"..which is loud and sounds great ..hence thats why I wrote that.

soooo...my short post was just saying "He must have really got some sorta crazy exhaust."

If that guys wants to tool around Munich with Straight pipes or whatever he has..great...now we see what happens. Maybe next time he should try a "TUV approved sportauspuff" next time...whew...any more questions?

19. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Ive never heard a 355 with suped up exhaust that is even near as loud as a stock 430...HUGE DIFFERENCE. buddy has a tubi on his 355 and it is like a toyota next to the stock 430 no matter how hard he revs it.

20. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Somebody had their 430 confiscated because the exhaust was too loud.

You posted that you have a different car, with some aftermarket exhaust, and you have not had any problems. I took that to mean that you thought your experience implied that the other owner's experience should have been the same.

Clearly, what your car (a different model, known to be much quieter) does with a TUV-certified exhaust is hardly going to be representative of the noise made by the other car with the unknown exhaust. Regardless of what stamp it did or did not have, it was too loud, according to the authorities.

After reading other people's comments on how loud these cars are even when stock and German attitudes towards Italian cars and Ferrari's noise certification techniques, I am not sure I agree with you that it must be "some sorta crazy" exhaust. Could be a bunch of things.

21. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Never heard a 355 w/ suped up exhaust next to a 430. Could be louder..dont know. Point is if you want to make alot of noise cruising around Germany with an aftermarket exhaust...make sure to get a exhaust allowed by TUV. Then you wont get it towed/seized..ect.

22. BradM360

BradM360 Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Totally agreed! I had a 360 Spider with Tubi, and it is so much quieter than my stock 430 Spider.

And my point asking the dB's in full revs was that usually manufactures knows their ways around these noise qualification processes, so getting the car approved is one thing but with all opening valves etc. the noice must be much more!!

I know guy who has had 7 tickets already in Helsinki for being too loud with his 430!

I don't know if this is true, but a salesperson in Gohm Ferrari in Singen told the -05 is louder than newer models, they had to tone it down because of this...

So anyone knows the answer, how loud is our 430's???