Driveways and Scraping | FerrariChat

Driveways and Scraping

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 360spider, Jan 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360spider

360spider Karting

Nov 1, 2007
    Hi

My driveway is steep.

I do not know the angle of the driveway, not too steep.

Anyway, The driveway is barely "wide" enough to 45 degree angle it.

The car comes very close to the curb when i do the 45 degree turn.

I dont have a lift kit on my car, its a gallardo, and sure ferrari owners have the same problem.

In conclusion to solve the problem,

I was thinking wood boards.

Any idea what size? How long they will last? How strong?

thank you!

PS. The garage is located behind the houses , beach house, in the ally, we all have 1 driveway on each side.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you can afford a Gallardo and beachfront property, have the problem pavement removed and get it re-poured with a lesser slope (if this is possible).

I'm trying to imagine a Lamborghini owner having to leave wood boards at the base of his driveway. :rolleyes: It's a couple of notches above sticking a rag in your gas filler when you lose the cap, but still sounds a bit low rent. (Or at least I'd feel awkward about it...)

Also, you might post in the Lambo section here, but doesn't the Gallardo come from the factory with a front suspension that raises/lowers with a switch? Or maybe that's the Murcielago?

3. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell

I believe the lift system started the second or third year.

Small sliders can also be installed. Ive got them on the 355. Symbolic installed them for quite cheap.

Darrell.

4. 360spider

360spider Karting

Nov 1, 2007
    the driveway is for all the houses that make up that alley way, which is about 20 houses , so i cant do anything.

Home depot , wood boards?

5. 360spider

360spider Karting

Nov 1, 2007

sliders?

6. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    They are small aluminum plates, the either thin wood or teflon plates attach to. They are located under the fronf air damn and simply let the front end glide slowly over a steep driveway. I've had mine on the 355 for 8 years and it works great. Simply keeps the car from being damaged. You can't really see them standing in front of the car either.

Darrell.

7. 360spider

360spider Karting

Nov 1, 2007
    thanks!

Can you provide the source's website?

Also have you guys seen the top gear episode with the pagani zonda , ford gt , and ferrari 430 getting out of the parking garage in france?

thats where i got the wooden boards idea!

:D

8. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    I'm not sure of the brand name. But if you call Symbolic's service dept( they are also a Lambo dealer) I'm sure they can hook you right up.
    BTW the show you are talking about was a riot.

Darrell.

9. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Tell the development to fix the driveway to Federal standards. The car was built to meet US Federal standards, the driveway should be able to accomodate vehicles that meet Federal standards. No?

10. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    to follow up on the above post, there's some chance the steepness angle may not be up to city code.
    Gives you leverage with the mgmt to get it fixed. They could either repour and fix, or perhaps install some
    1/4-1/2 inch steel plates attached to both sides of the gutter to anchor. This would allow for water flow underneath.

I have a driveway that's out of spec, and the previous owner of my place had to get an exception waiver from the city to pour this driveway. So I know there's specs for you to investigate.

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Man....I love your posts!

Your mix of automotive knowledge, comon sense make for a nononsense/BS responses that are very refreshing

Thatnks for being a car guy and all around no BS kind of person.

SA

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    On a more pratmatic level, my father tried the board approach to deal with an alley access on a beach house we rented one year.

The problem is that you're putting the board in the low spot of the road ...

... which is where the water goes when it rains.

Boards float.

Do the math.

13. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    #13 vm3, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you have a two car driveway, get parallel to the edge of the driveway, turn the wheel all the way towards the driveway and go up. This works for my 360. There is no need for planks, lifts, or any cement construction.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Waiting for someone to point that out good job.

15. 360spider

360spider Karting

Nov 1, 2007
    thanks for the pic :):)

thats a great idea for going up the driveway, because the street has unlimited width, but how about going down? lol

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Totally agree--it's what I do. Also, don't ever back out without achieving the same angle of approach. I always make sure I'm pulling out of my driveway at a sharp angle regardless if I'm head or tail first.

17. Janzen

Janzen Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Oklahoma/Texas
    Full Name:
    Janzen
    I had the same problem in my old house. In my case ,the boards worked, and they also "cushioned" the bottom of the car from any scrapes that would occur if I still got the angle wrong on approach. I went to Home Depot and bought two pressure treated 2X12's that were each 10' long. I used masonry screws to secure them to my driveway. A played around with different angles, but found that sideways straight across the slope worked okay. The key is to get your tire to hit the board before your spoiler does. Yes the obvious solution is to repour the driveway, but if you want to park the car right away without tearing it up I found the boards to be a good solution. They weathered to a light grey color. I unscrewed them and threw them away when I moved.

18. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    My friend had a Pantera with an aftermarket electric nose-lift kit installed...check in the Pantera sites. I'd ask him myself but he died...good luck..Jacques

19. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Same way you got in.

20. mgtr1990

mgtr1990 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Naples Florida
    Full Name:
    Martin Graham
    They are also sold at Ricambi a sponsor on here and made by Hill Engineering however remember they stop the damage true I have had them on all my cars but every time you do that there is stress on the front end supports as the nose is pushed up and the wheels and suspension are grounded.

21. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    #21 wetpet, Jan 12, 2008
  22. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    #22 vm3, Jan 12, 2008
    When going down, before the rear end reaches the edge of the driveway, turn the wheel all the way so when the front end leaves the driveway, the car is parallel to the edge of the driveway as shown.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I'm having this same problem in my driveway. The problem for me is the driveway is owned by the HOA. Therefore I can't just rip it out and pour a new one. Does anyone have any experience dealing with HOA's along these lines. About half of the driveways in my neighborhood have the same problem so if I was able to get the HOA to remove and re-pour a lower driveway many other neighbors would request this too making it financially impossible to pay for all of us to get new driveways.

In discussing this subject at the board meeting they were claiming the city of Newport Beach mandated the steep curbs to control water run-off so it doesn't flow to the ocean (which is over 3 miles away from me. Sounds like BS to me.

24. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

This does work but you really have to time things right especially going down.

25. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #25 VTChris, Jan 13, 2008