F50 or zonda Roadster S? | FerrariChat

F50 or zonda Roadster S?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by stradman, Jan 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Here we have a low production volume(f50-349 cars) and an ultra low production volume(zonda roadster- about 12 cars) for about the same price. which would you go and which would you predict for the long term in terms of holding value best? I have not driven either and I dont know if anyone has driven a pagani here, but I would be interested to hear from anyone with some personal experience. Both have a similar concept in terms of V12engine / racing tub and outrageous!

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    F50 no doubt.

I dont care for the Zonda and the Benz engine nor for it alien dashboard.

3. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    Well, I assume your comparing the Zonda F Roadster & the F50. If you actually did mean the Zonda ('S') Roadster, the F50 is the clear winner.

Furthermore, the Pagani Zonda F Roadster Clubsport with the bare carbon fiber body and other bells & whistles will be north of $1.1MM. The F50, a US spec model, in pristine condition with relatively 'low' miles (sub 5k) is around $700k-800k (+/-50k?).

This is a really good comparison and would be a tough decision IMO. Personally, I'd take the F50 as long as it has straight pipes and sounds like the one in the 'Reims' video. The Zonda F Roadster Clubsport is a damn good car in terms of looks, performance, and even exclusivity as is the F50.

IMO, the F50 is one of the, if not THE, best looking cars (from the factory) in the world!

I think someone like RTB might have driven the Zonda F Roadster (Clubsport) and most probably an F50 as well so let's see if he chimes in.

May be Jim (Napolis) has had first hand experience with both cars?

4. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Stradman,

I feel that the Pagani Zonda is a bit of kit car - much like the Maclaren. They both have Merkaydeez engines shoehorned into them.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

5. Baasha

Baasha Formula 3

Jun 20, 2004
    NorCal
    LMAO! Andrew, a bit harsh on the Zonda eh? You have to appreciate the craftsmanship of Pagani and the attention to detail Horacio Pagani himself requires of his company for the cars they make. Albeit it has a Benz engine, it's specifically made for the Zonda and on the bright side, it would be easily modifiable; such as adding a couple of turbos (?). LOL

Selecting either the F50 from the Reims video or a Pagani Zonda F Roadster Clubsport with black rims and straight pipes would be a damn hard decision to make! :D

6. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I think to call either of them kit car is somewhat blasphemous!(and unfair)

7. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman

No I do mean the S as the F is much more expensive as you point out. I think the 'F' would surely be the clear winner there. Why do you say the F50 is the clear winner between that and the 'S' however. On paper they appear similar although as I have pointed out I do not have any experience with either. Do you have any personal experience?

8. NHeerDesign

NHeerDesign Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Nick
    The McLaren F1 had a BMW engine in it, not a Merc engine ;)
    Unless you're referring to the McLaren Mercedes SLR, in which case, it had a Merc engine.

-N

9. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Stradman,

Yes, you're right. I apologise. However, with the shut-lines on an F-40, well, um, well they um, well, some have said that, um, well, thay have said . . . . they have said that an F-40 is a bit like, um, a bit lke a - like a um . . . . . I shall never sleep tonight; damn it; but the shut lines on an F-40, well they could be a little better. And no it is not at all like a kit car - worse probably:) :)

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

10. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I understand and sympathise, but we won't mention shut-lines anymore will we?

11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I thought the new Zonda's had their own motors--no more MB...

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They are really quite different. Totally personally I'm not a fan of things MB. That said the Zonda is very well executed and as they've shown on the Ring VERY quick. The design of the Zonda isn't my taste it's a bit Spyker like to me which also isn't my taste (Completely Personal). I drove one several years ago in Monaco and was impressed with how it drove. I like the F 50 but as a driver it wouldn't be my first choice for a long trip. Before you buy either I'd definitely have a test drive.

The McLaren F1 is in a league of it's own.

13. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    F50, simply because I've wanted one since I was 12. That's a tough call, though, becuse a Clubsport F Roadster with a carbon body is quite simply one of the most incredible supercars to ever be created. Salivating. Hats off to Mr. Pagani, indeed.

Mr. G., what experience do you have with the Macca? I'm curious as I've never spoken to anyone that has driven one. It has certainly earned it's repuation over the years, but what, according to you (if you'v driven one) sets its driving experience apart? Just wondering why its celebrated apart from the obvious reasons.

14. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    F50. Easy.

15. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
  16. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    luckily and unluckily i dont have the cash to buy either, but this is a decision that i have contemplated for the last few years... for the last 12 years, the F50 has been my favourite car of all time, and i dont think it will cease to be. but the zonda came along, and its like trying to pick between your kids. when i eventually have the funds to purchase either, its gonna cause some sleepless nights...
    having sat in both, and been though the pagani factory, its hard to look past the zonda, i havnt driven either, but one thing that helps me is.... the zonda comes in RHD... the f50, well theres a few RHD cars.. but id say they wouldnt be sold too often

17. Lexdiamonnyc

Lexdiamonnyc Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2004
    North NJ
    Full Name:
    Lex
  18. dkabab

dkabab Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    David
    if it ever came down to it, i would get a RHD f50 before a zonda... but tough choice

19. rifter

rifter Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2003
    zonda by a long shot.

easily THE best modern interior of any car. the craftsmanship is astounding. too alien? IT'S A SUPERCAR!!

more rare.

higher top speed.

and best of all, it's not the ugliest car ferrari has made since the 400gt...

20. XJR-15 RACER

XJR-15 RACER Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mike K
    F50, the Zonda is better off as a hardtop. I'd take an F50 over a Zonda F even

21. Clubsport78

Clubsport78 Formula 3

Sep 7, 2005
    D-Nbg
    Full Name:
    Marco A.
    Aside from Jim, I am sure someone else did.:)

About me... Zonda Roadster S.
    Like someone else said, comparing the F50 to the Roadster F would be a bit unfair.
    So the Roadster S is the right choice. And yes, 12 is the right number: initially those had to be 40, but then the F version came along...
    The last one ever made has chassis #76052.
    And it is RHD.

22. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    F50 by default

the problem I have with the zonda is the engine who makes it.:D.

23. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    I thought F50s were produced from 95 to 97?

24. kaybellum

kaybellum Rookie

Dec 9, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Karan
    you are correct, sir.

I think i would take the F50, partly because of the heritage and partly because of its superior looks. this is a ferrari forum, so I think many more will side maranello.

25. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Well I think they are both a bit "miami vice" looks- although granted the pagani might be slightly more over the top. But nobody yet who has driven both! I suppose it might be asking a bit too much even for this forum as they are both quite rare!