Fabspeed headers and other items-photos | FerrariChat

Fabspeed headers and other items-photos

Discussion in '348/355' started by jetfixr, Jan 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #1 jetfixr, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, after overhauling my engine and going for a spin in my 355 a very savvy aviation customer requested that the same overhaul be accomplished with his. I do not do this for a living but rather take my time and add a few touches that may be a little over the top.

Point is, In the last few months we 355 guys have been discussing aftermarket engine components in detail (see replacement 355 pistons thread), the release of Fabspeed headers for the 2.7 and so on. Well to summarize, I have compiled all that is available into my 355 as well as this gentlemans ride...

Aftermarket pistons (Ricambi had a thread on this a while back), aftermarket valves, upgraded guides, tons of port work (raised 26 cfm per port on flow bench) Teflon and ceramic coatings everywhere. And of course the fabspeed headers.

Now to summarize what this means, this accounts for almost every item discussed for the last few "hot topics".......These items were purchased from Fabspeed, Ricambi, and the wonderful "trick" machining and engine build fully documented and accomplished by Gary Sharpe of Sharpe performance engines.

Now for the shots, keep in mind I simply set the covers and headers in place, it looked so good I just couldn't help but take a few shots....Besides, you guys have been asking.....

And yes, we are fabricating a heatshield for the alternator using a turbine engine exhaust heat shield, I think it will work :)

I WILL post dyno results, it will PERFORM I assure all.

It's too lengthy to go into details on mods and MAJOR $$$$$$ was spent so we'll just leave it at that.....

Here you go,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Looks great

3. enginefxr

enginefxr Formula 3

Aug 20, 2007
    S&R Exotics
    Full Name:
    Gary Sharpe
  4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
  5. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    ok, you made me trust in you now. :p

Question, what is protecting the alternator?

6. xavior

xavior Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Sorry, just read the heat shield part. lol

7. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    :) :)

I try to not be a doorknob.........

8. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Holy ****, impressive looking work there! If I may ask how did you polish those valve covers and clutch housing?

9. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    Lots O cleaning and CHROME :)

Actually, I felt that too much chrome can give a ghetto look. So we had the outer part of the valve cover chromed only. We painted the plug cover plate then polished off the high spots to put the *red* back into the appearance and make the letters *stand out*

Thanks for the compliment Uconn....

10. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    ah ok, I was thinking that was just polished Al. I think it's a perfect balance of red and chrome on those valve covers, especially when looking down from outside the car.

11. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    Looks very very good, but the headers were not sold as"The best looking headers ever", they were sold as
    "Performance" headers without a proof.
    Let's wait for the dyno runs...................

Heat shield above the alternator will protect of alternator failures.
    But that's not enough.
    Take care of all the cables and rubber bearings around, especially the engine bearings.

Regards
    Andi

12. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    As much as you bash every other header brand on the market--Got me thinking --Is your last name Capristo?

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Gotta agree here. Andi355 we all know that almost everything on the 355 (like most high performance cars) ends up being a compromise between performance, longevity, and asthetics. Everyone here has a different perspective of the importance of each of those attributes. I think we should all try to be more helpful and less negative when looking at these issues with a critical eye.

14. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    Dyno won't lie in the end....

I was just trying to illustrate that alot of talking occurs but there is no follow up on Capristo, Xost, etc. This is project number 2 for us. I'll post dyno runs of mine and my customer.
    We will find out if these things work, we are not tripping over quarters we kick them out of the way :)

The computer will tell the truth.

Look on the bright side, this will tell all of you folks what this stuff can do, I assumed you'd like to know BEFORE you buy them....

We love the 355's and we enjoy putting money in them......

15. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I would think ANY set of headers that perform at least equal to the stock ones AND don't burn thru or break like the stock piece is a great item!!! I personally could care less if the aftermarket headers have 21 or 6 more HP..I want reliabilty and ease of installation---If I want more HP--I'll build a big block Vega and go racing!!! :D

16. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    Right on 285!!!!!! We think alike!

I guess if looks aren't important some of the folks will love our cast iron headers we will soon be releasing. They come complete with the high temp black Rust oleum finish and an asbestos heat shield!!!!! Indeed, they are a little heavy but you should see the dyno results :) They aren't prone to crack either.

17. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    Sorry, there was a mis-understanding.
    In my opinion it would be also a great job if the Fab headers would perform as the stock ones !
    If there is a gain all over the rpm range it would be a superb job.

Looking forward to the dyno runs............

Andi

18. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    I miss those cast iron headers <tear drop> my 1977 Camaro had them... until I replaced them with high performance exposed tube headers, LOL :) Keep up the informative posts on our alternative Headers, it is very much appreciated.

19. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    Did you make a dyno run before changing the headers ?
    A dyno run with the Fab headers on your car alone will not really help finding out
    the performance.

20. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    Andi,

Do not take this as this may sound.....I don't care if they gain or lose, makes no difference to me......

The whole package is where the gains will be. As far is internal combustion engines go alot depends on the amount of internal things that were changed before you can see any advantage over a merge collector, tri-Y and etc. Different configuration depend on different scavenging.

I believe too many people are focused on power gains, if 2500.00 isn't worth it for plain looks and not cracking well then I'm not sure how to respond.

I know this, Joe Fabiani, Dave Helms, Eugenio, NJB, and all of the other folks that have shops that "charge too much according to the group" know from "experience" that these factory headers are junk. Period....

That is really all I need to know.....I put my faith in the folks that do this for a living and I listen and pay for their advice and services....Its a great idea.....

Again the dyno will show the results......

I know it would have been nice to do it prior to see a difference....I agree it would be cool....

I am a little shocked to say the least that many folks don't buy these themselves...It's ONLY 2500.00 to fix a known problem. Where is the dillemma??????????? I say jump in with 285 and pull the trigger....(Group buy)

21. GQ IMAGE

GQ IMAGE Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    GQ IMAGE
    One sick man. AWESOME!!!

22. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone
    #22 jetfixr, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here she is going in.......

FYI-There has been alot of focus here with regard to the Fabspeed products....Lets not forget that this has the aftermarket valves and guides now available. It also has the aftermarket Nikasil sleeves. The aftermarket pistons (forged), pins, and rings. The pistons have been lightened, ceramic and teflon coated. Coated engine bearings with added oil groove. Absolutely tons of port work.
    If you haven't gone through a rebuild yet you will some day, aftermarket parts are of great importance!!!! I had trouble even getting "green dot liners" from Ferrari...Dan/David found them though :)

As you all know-She'll exhale through the fabspeed headers and primary/secondary cat bypass into Tubis.

We will video the dyno.....The power gains will come from the internals mainly we expect. We plan to run my car on the same dyno, same day, with Fabspeed headers as well. My engine was rebuilt to a stock level. That is going to be a "control" subject. (Both cars are 1995)

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Dude... can you post a pic of how far the fabspeed headers are away from the alternator?? :)

24. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005

Looks awesome !!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the dyno curves. If the headers show a gain in power and torque also, I will order them also.

Are you installing Fab-headers in both cars (2.7 and 5.2) ?
    It would be nice to see the differences on the dyno.

Can't wait to see the results...................

Regards,

Andi

25. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Gothspeed
    "Dude... can you post a pic of how far the fabspeed headers are away from the alternator?? ",

......if you check out the first motor photos posted you will see that the fabspeed header is indeed very close to the alternater (like stock headers)....it would appear a serious heat shield will be required.
    I know people seem to be using alloy heat shields but I wonder how effective they are.
    What about using a alloy heat shield with motorcyle muffler packing on the alternater side (if it will fit)? I know my carbon fiber sport bike muffler with a fiber packing is lukewarm to the touch after a run.