Porsche 997 : Check Engine light ... | FerrariChat

Porsche 997 : Check Engine light ...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by amenasce, Jan 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #1 amenasce, Jan 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Got this tonight . Weird thing is that the water temp went to 175 in 3 minutes and stayed there . Its very cold in Chicago ( 15 degres ) .

At first i thought i was out of coolant so i filled it up but even after 2 hours parked outside , i restarted it and again the water temp just went to 175 in less than 3 minutes .

Any idea ?

( posted on 6speed too..)

THe engine is not making any weird noises , the power is there ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It does sound weird...thermostat sounds suspect. Any coolant leaks??

Yet another reason why I drive air-cooled 911s.

Warranty will address the issues...please let us know what it is...

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Yeah, sounds like thermostat. My car did that last year - it was running fine but would *think* it was overheating. Good news is that thermostat parts are not terribly expensive (Porsche one might be $50), but the labor might be a bit if they have to dig into the engine (some idiot at Audi put it behind the belts, making it a "5hr job" for the mech). Hopefully warranty covers it.

4. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Well it was nothing , they checked it and didnt find anything wrong . All levels are fine . Car is fine . I guess it was an electronic glitch ?

5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    See Andy?! Still another reason to buy an early air-cooled 911! No fancy electronic bs...;)

Good news, but it's still irksome and hopefully is not a harbinger of things to come......

Although I prefer the air-cooled cars I like the low prices on the 996s I'm starting to see; I must be getting old as I am getting more sensitive to heat and cold and effective a/c and heated seats are spoiling me.....

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes ! But i fear a 965 Turbo would have killed me by now with the chicago weather :) ..

7. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    965? that has power steering!!! You are too soft!!!;)

My SC is occasionally pressed into service as a daily driver for a week at a time and although I love it, the rough ride (NYC Metro area potholes), lack of effective heat and AC, and the fact that every ricer wants to race me (I ignore them) grates on me after a while...