Best place to retire to? | FerrariChat

Best place to retire to?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TDI-PLC, Jan 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TDI-PLC

TDI-PLC Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2007
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Catchpole
    The Sunday Times has an article today that listed it's top 5 recommended retirement destinations, after taking most of the important issues into concentration they came up with these:

1. Southern Cyprus
    2. Panama
    3. France
    4. Belize
    5. Spain

It seems to me that as 300,000 citizens per year (the sensible and wealth creators) are leaving the UK, and that the vacuum is being over filled with bottom feeders, that ones mind should be turning to pastures greener.

What are your thoughts on this, and if you were to leave the UK where would you go?

2. mnk303

mnk303 Rookie

Jan 20, 2008
    Was
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Just spent last few days in Switzerland to move too, loved it, peaceful and very safe, also near to otehr countries, anyone have any recomendations, especially for good schools

3. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    New Zealand. has its issues like anywhere but having lived in 14 countries in my life...this is it! Most speak English too which is more than I can say for UK!!!

4. jarthur05

jarthur05 Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    Wiltshire, England
    Full Name:
    John A
    I have recently been thinking about the US - I have applied to a few law firms who have offices over there and who will offer me a 6 month seat should I do a training contract with them. It seems to me that if you have skills and work hard you are more appreciated over there, whereas here you are taxed to the eyeballs and the hard working, successful people pay for the laziness of others. The town I grew up in has exploded in size over the past few years, and not with the sort of people you want living in your neighbourhood. I will definitely be considering emmigrating in the future. I love this country, but I don't like the way society here seems to be degenerating.

5. DavidDeCiantis

DavidDeCiantis Karting

Jan 13, 2008
  6. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  7. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    A nice coffin

8. 599

599 Karting

Mar 2, 2007
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Aiglon college is a great school...an hour and a half from Geneva...UK System and ski every day in the ski season

9. Stevie G

Stevie G Karting

Jun 16, 2005
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That's exactly where I will be going, just 4 years left in the RAF and I'm there.

10. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    I moved to the US (Atlanta) a few years ago and enjoy it. Its not perfect (no where is) but for someone with a good job I think the quality of life for a family is much higher than the UK. Life in the UK was wearing me out and where we lived was going downhill fast. We were looking at crazy private school fees etc and working forever just to own a tiny house.

Good thing about the US is its a great place to semi retire, still earn well and travel a lot. A good base in other words. The trick is to live within your means and not go crazy on finance like a lot of Americans. Once I fully retire though I am thinking Switzerland or France would be great although the tax issues in France are worrying.

11. ferrari-nut

ferrari-nut Formula Junior

May 24, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    ANTHONY
    My plans for retirement are to spand three months in Spain, three months in South Africa and six months in the UK

12. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Southern Cyprus - going to be full of brits investing in property
    Panama - lovely, but its America's retirement home
    France - full of Frenchies and unless your going down south where everything is expensive, the weather is just as ****e as England (with the exception of La Rochelle so i hear. Apparenty its in some weather pocket)
    Belize - can't help
    Spain - good if you like burnt brits, Eng breakfasts and Carling

If i was to reitre somewhere i think Argetina, Canada, possibly select parts of Australia, maybe New Zealand woud be the places

13. AntM

AntM Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Antonia
    Keep a house in England - south west is best
    & France as long as you speak French

Full stop :D

14. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007