F-40: Cambelts | FerrariChat

F-40: Cambelts

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by 512Tea Are, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrades,

In England there is a requirement for F-40 cam belts to be changed every two years. Does the same apply in The United States of America? I ask this question because in England the 512TR cam belts are required to be changed every three years, whereas in The United States of America the cam belts on a 512 TR require changing every five years - this is my understaning.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

2. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    I believe every 3 yrs for the F40 and yes, when I had my 512TR it was 5. Prestige has its price...

3. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade carsinsx,

Yes, but in England the cam belts on a TR are set at THREE YEARLY intervals.

In England the cambelts on an F-40 are set at TWO YEARLY intervals.

Why is there this huge disaprity - does anyone know, please?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Really? That seems odd. Why the one year difference?

5. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade SSNISTR<

Yes, why? And this is what I am endeavouring to establish. So is there anyone who can provide unequivocal evidence of why, we in England, are instructed (upon the pain of death) to change our cam belts at more frequent intervals than our illustrious comrades within The United States of America?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Graham,

I think it clearly has to do with Ferrari North America taking into consideration the fact that USA-based cars generally cover very
    few miles.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

7. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Joe Sackey,

Thank you. But, I really cannot understand how low mileage can be an issue. Indeed, lack of use can create its own problems. For example, should an engine remain static for extended intervals a 'set' can be created in the the cam belt where the tensioner has continuously pressed against it for an inordinate length of time. Furthermore, if it is lack of usage that enables the US Ferrari cam belts to have an extended service interval, then how can Ferrari possibly be assurred of the likely mileage to be undertaken? No, I cannot believe that mileage is the reason for the disaparity.

Joe, how frequently do you have the cam shaft belts changed on both of your F-40's?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    One is in storage. The other has just had its cam belts done a few weeks ago in December 2007/January 2008. It was previously done in late 2004. In the just-completed service, cam-timing was reset during the major 30k service, bell-housing was re-lined, clutch was replaced and wastegate was re-set to accomodate the new inconel exhaust (Yahoo!)

Current mileage: 2,393 as of today.

Go on, break open that wallet and service your F40 properly in the manner in which it deserves to be maintained. It will reward you...

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

9. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Joe Sackey,

Yes, it will be going in for a service in the springtime. However, just to set your mind at rest, the expenditure on servicing last year was something in excess of £16,000 ($34,000) this included a full service, cam belt change, new cam shaft oil seals, new brake discs, new universal joint in the steering column, new fuel cells and one or two items that I cannot recall just at the moment.

However, I never fear spending wisely but I baulk at unnecessary expenditure. And still no one has yet come up with a reason why the English 512TR must have its cam belts changed every three years regardless of smileage. And yet, The United States of America 512 TR is required to have the cam belts changed every five years. Further, the English F-40 must have its cam belts changed at two yearly intervals regardless of smileage, and yet The United States of America F-40 can run its cam belts for three years - regardless of smileage. Surely someone amongst the frightfully erudite membership of this Forum can explain why this should be so?

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The rarer USA F40s are better and their belts last longer? :)

I really dont know why the difference. Glad to see you are taking care of that car as Enzo would have wanted. The Classiche department will also be glad of your meticulous maintenance program.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

11. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Joe,

The 512TR is lined up to have its cam belts changed this springtime. And do you know, I have never been able to establish the reason why the cam belt interval on that are a mere three years and yet in The United States of America it is five years. No one yet, and over many years long standing has been able to provide a satisfactory answer to this enigma, wrapped within a puzzle and shrouded in the utmost mystery.

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Ok if it makes you feel better, by checking my records it appears Ive been doing them every 3 years... I had vaguely heard of the 5 year reccomendation, but Ive always felt ready at 3.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

13. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Quite simple, my dear Sir:
    You see it has to do with the English weather - it rots the belts more quickly,
    the tensioner pullies are more prone to seeze up with rust,
    and moreover, the British Ferrari mechanics do not want to go out in that weather and need to be kept busy.

14. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    The UK lightweight revs more freely than the US heavyweight and puts more strain on the belts...

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Comrade Cracker,

UK has, on average, .002 m/Pax more salt in the air than even the Eastern seaboard in the US. Time, coupled with high engine bay temperature from being both twin turbo-charged and mid-engined along with the .002 m/Pax number I mentioned leads to slightly faster de-vulcanization of the rubber binding in the belts; further, the higher salt content in the air imparts a slightly greater resonant load on the kevlar material that comprises most of the strength of the belts...this resonant load is transferred to the belts from the crankshaft up through the engine block to the cams and directly into the belt. To draw a picture, air with a low m/Pax salt content is similar to rubber bushings in suspension mounts. Soft, compliant, et cetera. A higher salt content in the air is akin to poly bushes, more of the load is transferred instead of dissipated.

Taken apart from each other, these factors can be considered to be factors without meaning. In concert, however, the factors multiply by roughly .5% to 25% depending upon use...thus the reduced service intervals for this component in the UK versus in the US of A.

16. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Posting of personal information is a TOU violation, we've talked about it before, as are personal attacks (flaming.) READ THE RULES PLEASE, they apply to all, including sponsors and moderators.

As to the content of this thread. It devolved pretty quickly from fact to attack. You all need to cease fire, NOW.

Good grief. C'mon, taking a cam belt thread and turning it into a pissing contest takes some skill, but it's also a colossal waste of everyone's time.

So, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm closing this thread. RIGHT NOW. I'm also TELLING YOU GUYS to knock it off.

Next person who posts information about another member in here gets a few days off to think about it. The next guy who posts a flame, or personal attack, gets a time out. No KIDDING, this is enough.

I'm asking all of you to behave. I'm also asking all of you to rat out the first guy who doesn't. Hit the "!" on any posts that include personal information, or any sort of character attack. PERIOD.

If I get a "!", and interpret it as a TOU violation, then someone is getting tossed out of the sandbox. END OF STORY.

I have also deleted the offensive posts.

Dave