Early photos of 0834? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Early photos of 0834?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by EnzoNZ, Dec 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    I don't know if it's done in this place to offer a hint of perspective about what Ferrari cars have really been like, but here goes on the Dino 206S series - as distinct from the unique 166.

Gordon Murray - erstwhile McLaren designer - has adored the 206S for decades (just like me). He was invited to judge one of the major European Concours - I believe at Bagatelle in France - where one of his fellow judges was Mauro Forghieri. Gordon was thrilled to bits to see a Dino 206S in the entry.

He walked up to it with Mauro and said "You know, you did a fabulous piece of work on these Dinos, so neat, so compact, such a sexy shape. It's got everything...".

And Ing. Forghieri spread his hands, shrugged his shoulders, and replied: "Aaah, Gor-DON, woss beeg trouble, woss never enough time, looka da sospensione, looka da chassis, looka da steering.

"No Gor-DON. Dino woss sheet!".

DCN

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :) Thanks for the story.

3. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    x1

4. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    So much for us wanting believe that everything that they did in those days was perfect...

I guess it's all a matter of perspective....

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Nice to have you here Doug!

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I had the privilege to interview Mauro Forghieri in September: a very interesting hour and 20 minuntes, a very special occasion.
    I am so snowed under with work for the books that I have not transcribed it yet but I do believe it will be a good read:)

He is not your typical engineer: I first met him in January 2006 at a dinner of the circolo delle Bielle thanks to Adolfo Orsi and during that dinner In. Forghieri at one point looked at little me and said: "One more glass of Lambrusco and you will speak perfect Italian:)!"

Best regards,

Marc

7. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Maybe the Lambrusco will help me understand Eng. Forghieri's English commentary in the Piola F1 Technical Guides!

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Italians have their faults (Prodi just quit as prime minister AGAIN so that's god knows how many dozen governments since WW@...) but they are very welcoming and positive when you try to speak their language, not like some other countries in Europe where they curcify you if you get one wovel wrrong: sacrebleu yu hare rapeeeng ze French languaghe!
    Ach donnerweteer ve veel have yu turned into vienerschnitzel vor dizrespekting ze Ghermann languagh ja!

9. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Oh dear - what have I started?

DCN

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    :)

Just got back from cavallino, two days at Moroso, am going to the concours tomorrow, spoke to a million friends, enthusiasts and other nice people, got sunburned of course so am even more brain dead than usual and thus won't even try to squeeze a witty answer out of my skull, other than to say that you should all come at least once: it really is a special event.

Best regards,

Marc

11. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #111 P4Replica, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In an effort to keep all this good stuff in one place (and to get this thread back on topic :rolleyes:) and with Doug Nye's blessing ....

.... I am cross-posting the two photos of Dino 166P #0834 which Doug included in his posts on page 173 of the 'More Old Photos' thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89883&page=173

.... along with a partial copy of Tom Tanner's relevent response from the following page:
    Both images courtesey of, and strictly copyright Doug Nye / Grand Prix Library ©.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Mauro FORGHIERI talking to Lorenzo BANDINI in the first photo, and Ingeniere Giancarlo BUSSI looking on the V6 in the second photo.

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Probably doeesn't need repeating but Mr. Nye's book on the Dino (still in print?) is excellent.

14. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    Ginacarlo Bussi, enlevé par la mafia en octobre 1978. toujours sans nouvelles!!!!

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In an effort to keep all this good stuff in one place (and to get this thread back on topic )"

Hum so, Paul, I gather you accuse me of high treason of thread highjacking:) welll...let me give you an example of how much this Cavallino Classic, this weekend, the best vintage Ferrari event on earth with people who are friendly and willing to talk not uptight and snobbish, overloads your senses with fabulous important Ferraris and hundreds of wonderful connoisseurs you only meet once or twice a year: I was going hoarse at 11am yesterday...today after doing the photoshoot of a a very imprtant car early on I needed to get away from cars and went to an outdorr...shopping mall in wst palm Beach city place with a friend of mine who runs one of the clubs, equally worn out.

as we walked around we saw another just like us, worn out, unable to start another conversation, in need of a quiet stroll with his lady, we just waved at each other from 60 feet away, exchanging a knowing smile: his name is Marcel.

Now I will revenge for this evil accusation ad really make you work hard to get that Tom Meade photo we talked about:)

Marc

16. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    A mere light-hearted jest, Marc. :)
    The subject of this topic is, after all 'Early photos of 0834?' - Not Cavallino Classic or whatever. :rolleyes:

Your 'payment' is already in the post, Marc - if it isn't waiting on your 'seuil' already.
    I'd appreciate if 'we' can get it posted into the Thomassima II thread, A.S.A.P, too, please, Marc ....
    .... because another 'very interesting development' is coming to that thread, in the not to distant future. ;)

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Just kidding too Paul!:)

The bad news is I have decided I am staying in Florida another month: (Geneva in january no thank you and I have all my work with me) so it won't be until early March that I will access my boxes in France: am busy going through my archives here in Fort Lauderdale now and will let you know what Meade'ish content I find here.

Marc

18. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yes it is just brought it on Amazon

19. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #120 F1tommy, Nov 22, 2008
    Another photo of #0834 I found on that public German photography website. This is at Nurburgring for the ADAC 1000KM. It looks like Bandini and a mechanic in the cockpit.
    This has to be the most important 1960's Ferrari sportscar body style that does not exist in its original form today. Does anyone have a picture of the chassis number stamp on #0834 as it is today?

Thank goodness for Kodachrome!!!

Now I will have to reissue my 1/24th Scale Designs Dino 166P resin kit.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2009 model/photography contest-Chicago

P.S. Makes you want to waste even more time hunting for old photos on the internet!!

21. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #121 GIOTTO, Nov 22, 2008
  22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #122 F1tommy, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks, nice collection. I think I have been on that site before when I was researching the Greenwood Corvette model(not a big Corvette fan, but that car is special).
    I can read a little French(enough to get by).
    These pictures make me want to get back into racecar model manufacturing again. Hopefully Model Factory Hiro wont copy eveything I do.

TT/Ferrari Expo 2009 model/photography contest-Chicago

P.S. This German photo website was found by the racecar modeling community.They are always on the hunt for more information!!

23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #123 Marcel Massini, Nov 22, 2008
    The first photo here shows 0834 in its last race with the original Berlinetta body, on the 11th July 1965 at the Trento-Bondone hillclimb with Lodovico Scarfiotti on race #26, he placed 1st OA.
    The second photo shows the same car, 0834, but now with the new Spider body and cut-down windscreen, two weeks later, on the 25th July 1965 at the Cesana-Sestrière hillclimb, again with Lodovico Scarfiotti, race #482, where he won again.
    COPYRIGHT MARCEL MASSINI

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Nice photos. So they must have done a complete new body for #0834
    between the 1967 Targa Florio and your July 1967 photo.

TT

25. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #125 Marcel Massini, Nov 22, 2008