My $300,000.00 GTBi | FerrariChat

My $300,000.00 GTBi

Discussion in '308/328' started by PittsS2APilot, Jan 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've heard of this happening to others but this one was my first. While sitting in a local cafe yesterday evening a couple of guys came in and sat at the table next to me. They were discussing the Ferrari parked near the window. Im sure they were not aware that I was the owner and could hear their conversation. Judging from their converstation, one of the guys seemed to be an authority on high performance sports cars. In fact..he informed his friend that the Ferrari in the parking lot was a $300,000.00 car and the V-12 in it could do well over 200mph! I almost spit my coffee across the table! I guess you can find Ferrari experts even in a Waffle House! (grin)

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    He must have been thinking or my 308.... ;)

3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I was waiting on the valet once at Lenox Mall in Atlanta. The valet drives up in my 355 and a kid beside me asks his dad "What kind of car is that, daddy?" His father answers, "that is one of those fancy Corvettes. That car will do a hundred and twenty miles an hour." I just smiled and hopped in the car.

I also parked my F-50 outside a restaurant in Munich. When I got out, a teenager came up to me and asked me where he could buy a Batmobile like mine. I told him it was a Ferrari and he said, "What's a Ferrari?" I just pointed at my car. The guy with me gave me a better answer, but I was not quick enough to use it at the time. He told me that I should have answered, "Ferrari is the company that makes Batmobiles."

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've heard a lot of comments like that about 308's and 328's I've owned. The usual value estimate is 150K. But when I respond by saying "nah, it's only 50K" you can see the disappointment on their faces.

Dave

5. velocedog

velocedog Karting

Jun 6, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jack
    You should have told them you would be willing to sell it for only $200,000, but only if that act fast.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    sounds alot like Fchat...what are there names on here ?

7. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    308Xprtz and noitall308! :D

8. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm trying to get my mind around the idea of a Ferrari parked outside a WAFFLE HOUSE ... Four Seasons, maybe, Ritz Carlton maybe .. but WAFFLE HOUSE? :)

ps We have no WH's in CA.

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Great story. I love to hear stuff like that . It seems usually every time a group of guys get together for Breakfast or something, the conversation leads into cars. So if i ever park my car outside. I try listening in. And sure enough...

10. carb308gtb

carb308gtb Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    I don’t get it why some feels that an old 3x8 is big money, on the other hand the looks is worth one million dollar, that’s why :)

11. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, After 28 years as a cop you get into routines and coffee at the Waffle House is one of mine. It "was" unique to see my spotless white Ferrari parked between a muddy red Ford 4X4 and a 280zx that had two different colored front fenders. You meet an interesting group of people at WH especailly at 2am on Saturday nights! (lol) Joe

12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave

Think I'll skip the Ritz and waste my money on cars instead. BTW, I have driven my 430 through McDonald's drive through on my way to early morning track events. No one seemed to care.

Dave

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

triple, smothered and covered. Yummmm

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yeah, but at Deny's they won't make you choose between sausage and bacon like other places, they believe you deserve both.

I had a guy at a Burger King just about fall out the drive-thru window when I pulled up in the 308. He couldn't believe somebody with a ferrari would be there.

15. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I get asked all the time the value or " what did it cost you?" question. Usually a very ackward moment ... followed by disappointment when I tell them the true value.

Now when I get asked the question, I reply to the question of cost (175,000) and value (200,000) Nickles.

I let them do the math.......

16. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just tell people that it costs about the same as a new SUV, I leave it to them to figure it out.
    But it's true , most people asume ALL Ferraris are $100k cars. (personally I think they should be)

17. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    You should try owning a Mondial!!!!! Faces fall down the drain when they learn what they are worth!

18. losang

losang Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    I know that very few of you remember the days when you could buy a Dino for $20K. Who knows...

19. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    You should have told them ... "You guys seem to be enthusiasts ... how about I sell it to you for a discounted price of $280,000".

20. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    +1...I took my Ferrari to a Waffle House once or twice....I had GREAT service. I miss their inexpensive, unpretentious, tasty food....

21. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Is it better to answer honestly and disappoint, or give a polite answer that dodges the question?

22. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    He thought is was a GTO ;)

23. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

No but you have plenty of dell tacos, and In and Out burgers those with work as eaquals as the waffle house.

mmm I could go for a double double burger animal style!

24. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Hey I park mine outside Taco Bell! You should see the looks that gets!

I feel cheated, the most I've heard my car go for is $125K. I guess silver cars just aren't worth as much as white ones?! I thought it was resale red that sold best!

25. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I Tell people what it cost new in 1992. Then I tell them they can pick up an 08 Ferrari for $200 grand. They always smile. Hey man, it's a FERRARI!!!

If they ask me directly what I paid, I tell them and the gas goes right out of the balloon.

Dave