Better Palm Beach Pictures | FerrariChat

Better Palm Beach Pictures

Discussion in 'Florida' started by John Corbani, Jan 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just read JD121's thread and most of the others covering the past weekend. Seems that the photography is as great as the subject matter but most shots are ruined when shrinking to 800 x 600 for posting. I have been bugging folks on the Dino Forum for a couple of years and the quality of posted pics has improved a lot. Hope that a little bugging will help here for the next Cavallino.
    Pictures are taken with cameras saving greater than 2000 x 1500 pixels. If you just reduce them, all sharp edges become a grey band 2-3 pixels wide. Picture looks out of focus. You need to "Sharpen" pictures before posting. If you do not have a Sharpen function, get an editor that does. Absolutely necessary. Has to be used as the final editing step before posting. Take a look at what I did by copying some pictures from Jason's thread, sharpening them and re-posting.
    John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nice! Some of the pics look super-saturated, but you can definitely see the sharpening bringing out more detail. Thanks for the tip!
    :)
    BT

3. opticalveracity

opticalveracity Karting

Jun 13, 2006
    Jupiter Island, Fl
    Full Name:
    Steven Di Leonardo
    i agree with BT x100! they even come off grainy due to the high saturation! go to photography school!lol jk

4. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Which one is the sharpened one?
    I like the first batch better than the second. The second looks wrong.

5. Blue4reF1

Blue4reF1 Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Plantation, FL
    Full Name:
    Blake Simon
    I still prefer my two original shots... but they are unique...

6. jd121

jd121 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jasen
    Ok, I am not a big fan over over sharpening. What you did is take normal pictures mostly unsharpened and over sharpened them, meaning you opened your editor and put 250% in the sharpen tool, I only put about 40% or so, and you would not tell unless enlarged to really big sizes. What you want to do is avoid to have white jagged lines all over the edges. I would think most people would prefer a nice clean image, over a grainy,white jagged edged one. But then again I would want to hear what other photographers have to say. I spend more time on color,color and more color, over sharpen, sharpen and more sharpen. Martin your right 1st set of photos are the ones he pulled of the other thread and the second is the sharpened one. But maybe he was doing it to much to make it obvious?

7. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    just thinking out loud here since I have absolutely no clue about those things in the first place:

maybe the settings on your computer screen may be off and you need to do things to make them look on your screen nice when others see them as distorted?

8. Dr Lex

Dr Lex Karting

Aug 21, 2006
    I have to say you really ruined most of those photos. The Miura was perfectly sharp

9. jd121

jd121 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jasen
    Dont worry a photography dictionary will help!;) Possible, LCD are really accurate compared to big fat monitors, I once compared one and the big old monitors are tuned so photos look almost black, not the case with LCD's these days. If you see a smooth image before and then a signifigantly harder edges in the second screen you should be fine as far as sceens are concered. :D

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Jasen, I have a little prehistoric experience in photography, and I must say, I like your photos just the way you presented them. After one color image on a black & white background, it gets a bit annoying. There is NO skill involved. Anyone can Photoshop, not everyone can take a well composed photo that needs no computer aids. As you do. And I absolutely do not like the over sharpened images in this thread.

Your photos are of the real image, they look great, that's enough for me.

11. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #11 John Corbani, Jan 29, 2008
    Figured most of the response. Lets take a few points to start. I am 72, ex engineer designing semiconductor processing gear. Long time semi-pro photographer. Put in years in the darkroom, BW shooting and printing. I know what can and should be done. Lots of time involved with product photography destined for full page magazine adds. Designed video microscopes with computer interfaces. Know that edge sharpness is critical in both adverising products and in scientific visualization. Was playing with digital processing 30 years ago.

I never met an art director who would put up with fuzzy product pictures headed for publication. Now mood shots and glamour shots are another ball game. I treat car shots as product shots. So do most pros. Digital photography changed all the rules. Rules have been re-written for display of digital photography in print. That was easy! Digital photography displayed on low resolution digital displays still has a way to go. That is where we are today.

Rob jacked posting size up to 800 x 800, 293 Kb max. Can look real good with lots of TLC. Makes sense with average screen size of roughly 13" x 10" and most shots in a 4 x 3 ratio. There are roughly 100 pixels per inch when displaying internet pictures. You have no choice what the end viewer will see. Doesn,t matter how big your monitor is, the end viewer is going to see 100 pixels per inch. The trick is to create impact. Not to create mood. Folks are going to scan your beautiful picture and move on. Catch their attention!

I slightly overheated most of the last posts to get attention. Be interesting if the original Muira hood shot, at full resolution, showed the "tooth" pattern in the top grill. Bet it does. And that is one of the crazy but wonderful design details of the Muira. Show it!

Attached are three shots to show what can be done. Two of my Dino, without and with sharpening, and a shot by one of our Southern California photographers who is doing great stuff daily. Comments?
    John

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I have years of graphic design experience. You need to use the sharpen tool very carefully. It sometimes tends to distort, and oversharpen the image. Which in many cases makes it worse. As is the case in some of these.

13. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Absolutely right! But use it if it fits!
    John

14. jd121

jd121 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jasen
    I agree with the 2 post above mine. Everyone should use the sharpen tool very carefully. I addmit sometimes I need to add sharpness because it wasent as sharp as i would like, but I dont like what you did with the earlier shots, but I like what you did with the Dino shots since you added the right amount of sharpness and made a great improvement. What editing system are you useing? Am using Photoshop CS3.

15. JV_

JV_ Karting

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    All that sharpening did was overexpose the pixels and ruin the natural colors and reflections. *thumbs down*

Sharpening is a function that SIMPLY SHOULD NOT BE USED. Every now and then when applied in moderation it's ok in a low-lit macro setting to bring out definition but otherwise it's far too abused. Any decent photo critic will scoff at a picture that has been sharpened. People seem to think it makes up for their lack of skill and/or unsteady hand; fact remains is you need to learn to program the settings on your camera properly and capture the detail with the right lens before you edit them...

PS: Resizing is a good trick when shooting with a lesser powered camera; shrinking the photo actually condenses the pixels to bring out more detail in the photo and compensates for a smaller lens, such as on point&shoot cameras.

16. 360RossoFiorano

360RossoFiorano Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2006
    Palmetto Bay, FL
    #16 360RossoFiorano, Jan 30, 2008
  17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    In all due respect, the original is the original. If the original is good, enhancing digitally is unnecessary. Its like taking a Rembrandt and changing it using modern equipment. I appreciate your work, but I like the originals, not the sharpened photos, in your initial post much better.

18. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Im confused.... which is supposed to be the better? The first of each pic is WAy better than the second. I hope these are the sharpened ones.

??? yes. the first of each couple right?

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    No, the second picture is sharpened. The OP is not talking about changing the originals for use in printing or something, but rather to bring out more detail when the photos are resized. In the racing pic and the one of the SLR you can see more detial in the second pic, and I like that (although it might be sharpened too much as Jasen says). I do like the first set on most of the still shots since I don't really see any blended bands from resizing. The pictures look pretty crisp and well done. I always like the photos Jasen posts, he has a great eye for composition and cropping (I assume you can't get those driving shots centered so well by chance). Cheers!
    :)
    BT

20. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #20 05F430F1, Jan 30, 2008
    oh wow. Yikes, yes I like the first ones better. the second ones are all squiggly lines and jagged edges.

By the way, my gf took this shot on our drive up of Gino in his 430......and its pretty damn centered. :D

21. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    +1000

22. jd121

jd121 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jasen
    #22 jd121, Jan 30, 2008

Here I color edited the photo since it looked a bit dull and, the sun glare was there. Your GF got lucky that the camera focused on the car and not the sun. What I mean is the car becomes all dark because the camera focused on the lighter parts of the picture which was the sun going right into the lens, which I hate. I attached a photo of mine that messed when when it focused on the sun not the car. Also you can see how the sun made the small dust particles bigger and blurred because i was using my filter, but if I didn't have it mounted then that would not have shown.

23. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    maybe it's time you got your eyes checked. your oversharpened pics look horrible. this is the consensus. when everyone agrees, they are probably right. I generally don't criticize peoples photagraphy skills, or lack there of. But when you criticize someone else, then prove you don't know what you're doing, you're asking for it. Please have you're prescription adjusted and get back to us.

24. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Ouch! Easy there.. Everyone makes their points, and people still post whatever pics they like.
    Did Martin Hijack your account or something. The only thing missing is "Don't let the door hit you on the ass...."
    This is like the game my kids play at dinner. I call it "The last word".
    :D
    BT

25. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    i don't know. i think if a guy comes into a regional forum criticizing someones work and then goes on to prove they don't know what they are talking about, it's time for a ***** slap. Maybe i'm just a little sensitive to the subject. I'm just a kid at heart anyway.