ID? My very old Ferrari.. | Page 9 | FerrariChat

ID? My very old Ferrari..

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 1oldf, Dec 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #201 kare, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To illustrate this nose badge thing I compiled this picture. Having gone through about all my Touring pics 0124A is the only car I could find with identical nose badge set up as seen on George's car (the nose badge is about 2 thirds of its lenght away from the front edge, on all others less than half). I included 0144A as we don't seem to have pre-restoration photos and the car could have lived its life anywhere on this planet. Best wishes, Kare
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    I have just reread the entire thread trying to make some sense of it. The items that stand out are: 0118A The ws. mount is not raised. Even today, so the XK120 ws. could fit. The front small turn lights are there now and seem to have been there all the time. The front Ferrari badge seems to be in the right spot. The dash was reworked by Kellogg in 1971 so it doesn't relate to my photos. The snaps around the cockpit have always been there. I can't stake my life on the fact the car was not repainted. The ad by Universal Mtrs. Feb. 1956 if #0118 shows that they could have sent the car to the factory then Vernola then to me in 1957. This really is still speculation on my part but based on the content of the thread, it's my best guess???? The question remains..................George

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Am I the only one who doesn't see any difference between the 4 pictures? The nose badge looks identically placed to me with the exception of possible blurriness from camera angles and the grainy look of the enlarged old photos. Certainly the Ferrari factory had a 5 cent dime store ruler to measure exact placement of its name badge on one of the most expensive cars in the world at the time.

4. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The badge is clearly closer to the edge on both 0118A and 0144A - but the 10 point question is if it was always like that or if it was modified. None of the period photos I've seen are clear enough.

5. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    Ron Kellogg and Sonya his wife came to visit today. He had more information with reference to this puzzle. A friend of his who is a long time Ferrari historian seems to think 0120A is our car. In our thread the only negative I can find relates to some louvers on the hood. He claims the car was here in the states during our time frame. Anyone have any input to justify this supposition????? George

6. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Great thread! It must have been fun back in those days living in LA in college and flipping ferraris! What would 7k back in 56 equate to today and what would this car be worth today? After the mystery of this one is solved, I can't wait to read your next one. Some of you guys have unbelievable knowledge of the history of these cars and to still have the slides from those days is priceless.

7. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    $7K in 1956 = $53K in 2007
    http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/

8. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Interesting. In UK inflation has been much greater.
    I got these:

Current data is only available till 2006. In 2006, £1 0s 0d from 1957 was worth:

£16.64 using the retail price index
    £17.42 using the GDP deflator
    £42.51 using average earnings
    £49.94 using per capita GDP
    £58.78 using the GDP

If the car had been bought by a UK enthusiast his $7k's worth would have cost the 2006 equivalent of $116k to $411k depending on which basis you use.

9. till.a.fischer

till.a.fischer Karting

Oct 18, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Till Fischer
    Thrilling THread, thanks for all contributers!

Nice story concerning the nose bagde setup:
    In magazine "Ferrari world No 67" there's a story of an 250 GT TdF (ex Olbrist?) taking part in Tour Auto 2007. After the first kilometers a strange rattling from the front bonnet made the driver stop. It was the nose badge that had come off the hood.

I think the nose badge arrangement is a "soft" clue....

regards, Till

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I bet whoever installed the badge, did not stuff it with wax. If you don't stuff it with wax and tighten it up, it will very likely damage the paintwork; if you don't tighten it up properly it will shake loose sooner or later.
    I do agree; especially with 0118A, as it has been modified over the years and it is possible that the location of nose badge got changed too. Now if somebody replaced the nose badge with one where the two screws are further apart, then it would be likely that the former hole was moved forward and the badge location would change.

It is a little different if we have period and modern day pictures showing the nose badge in same position, which is different from George's photos (this is the case with most, if not all 212 Exports). I think it is much unlikelier that a nose badge would get moved back and forth.

So let's hope somebody finds Le Mans/51 or other period photos of 0118A showing the dashboard and/or the nose badge location.

11. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    Does anyone have any real proof that 0120A is not the car in question? The only information in the thread that I could find relates to some louvers on the body?

12. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Here is a photo of it in Le Mans 1951:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13313

It was then crashed in Dundrod late in 1951 and seems to have been extensively repaired or rebodied by Touring as 2nd body number tracing back to that time was issued. As photos from Le Mans 1951, with Rutherford in 1954 and as a project car today all show unique long bonnet configuration (with hinges in rear like Berlinettas 0122A and 0126A), it can't be your car.

13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Back in 1956 you could buy a house with 7K, the only type of house you can buy for 56K in California now is an outhouse. IMO 7K was worth a lot more back in those days.

14. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    QUICK response. Good work,

15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    If we assume that investing in stocks would annually generate 12% on capital, the dollar of 1957 would have grown into 362,50 in 52 years and 7000 USD would be 2.5M today. With certainly one can say that 7000 USD of 1957 would be something between 56k and 2.5M (equivalents of interest rates between 4..12%). Be careful when trying to narrow it down! Best wishes, Kare

16. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #216 Boudewijn, Jan 31, 2008
  17. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    Thanks for the photo. Notice the tonneau cover snaps and the location of the front Ferrari emblem on the hood. The evidence continues to point to 0118A???

18. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #218 Boudewijn, Jan 31, 2008
  19. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I have a hard time thinking this is the same car, look at the front corners of the hood (ok for you on the wrong side of the pond "bonnet"). They are much more square that George's car, which has rounded corners. All these cars were obviously a bit different, being hand made, but you would have had to rework the entire front end to refit the hood to/from either car....

This is kinda like playing the cartoon "jumble" where you have to find five things different or the same in two pictures.....

20. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I think the angle of that photo is playing a trick on you. If you look at posts #130 and #153 you will see what looks like one sharp corner and one round...

21. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    #221 1oldf, Jan 31, 2008
  22. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    If indeed the R&T ad was dated June 1953 and not later, I find some interesting facts to relate. The first three cars Vernola sent me were the 4.1 Ferrari then the Touring bodied Alfa and then the 2500 Farina bodied Conv. I would be more able to believe a date of 1955 or 1956. Please double check the 1953 date. I really believe these three cars came from Vernola but 4 years is a long time to hold cars for sale. With only 5 Ferraris to consider I have reason to discount all of them. My son enlarged both engine photos and came to the conclusion that the louvers on the left side of the engine against the left front fender are not the same on 0118 and my car. The louvers on my car extend higher to the top of the fender as you go forward also the wires and bonnet support on the left are different. If you look at all the time frames for the subject cars they all seem to be located in 1952 and 1953. The question is: What is the S/N of the car in the Vernola ad? I do believe that is "My very old Ferrari". George

23. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #223 Miltonian, Jan 31, 2008
    George, I just rechecked on the ad from Mike Vernola, listing the 4.1 Ferrari for $7375, and it does indeed appear in Road & Track, June 1953, page 46. It does seem unlikely that he held the car for four years before you purchased it. Sorry there is not more information in the ad. They almost never mentioned serial numbers back then.

I remembered seeing another ad from Vernola, and it took me a while to find it, but here it is. This is from R&T, March 1952. I know it doesn't have anything to do with your old Ferrari, but I thought some people might find it interesting.

24. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #224 Miltonian, Jan 31, 2008
  25. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    #225 solofast, Jan 31, 2008
    Sorry guys, but I don't think there is much of a case for this car being 118A. Here is annother shot of 0118A and George's car from as close to the same angle as possible. These aren't the same cars unless somebody worked one of them over with a big hammer... Look at the hood lines. 0118A's hood is obviously more "square" towards the front. The radius on the corner of the hood is obviously smaller, and it extend further forward on the bodywork. Not sure, but George's car seems to have more 'roundness" (height) to the cowl area, and that is somewhat apparent in the lower grouping, but harder to see because the Bridgehampton shot is with the entire cowl in white, but look at how high and round George's cowl is, it gets the height without the "square windshield mount edges. It also appears that the length of the front fender ahead of the front wheel is longer on George's car, almost as if the nose of the car was longer overall and more "drooped" coming from the fender line down to the headlights. It also appears (see the second group of photos) that 0118 always had that longer, more square hood line, going back all the way to the 1952 Bridgehampton races.