308 QV: best replacement belts? | FerrariChat

308 QV: best replacement belts?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JazzyJay, Feb 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    what is the best choice for replacing waterpump belt on '84 308 QV?

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jay, your tool kit should have spare belt unless you use them already.

3. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Yes, I have the belts, but they look very "original" (probably came with the car when new). I have heard others talk about better, newer, longer lasting brands and was hoping to get a model number/contact info.

Thanks.

4. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Be careful.....water pump/alternator belts vary in QV territory - not sure what the cut-offs are between belt setups....the 84-85 belts are different than the 83 belts, some cars run dual-belt systems (which run the alternator and the water pump pullys seperately). I have bought 308 QV Water Pump belts and gotten the wrong one several times, even from Ferrari Parts sellers who should know better like T.Rutlands.......its best to take some measurements before making phone calls so you don't waste your time/money.

5. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    I think mine is a 2 belt setup, since the lower drive pulley only has 2 grooves. The belt is about 16" long inside-inside when pulled a little tight. There are no numbers on my belt in the tool pouch.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jay, the best thing you should do is to take your spare belts to a local Auto parts store and they can help you measure and match it for a new one.

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    On a 'two-belt' setup, your Water Pump and your Alternator are each driven on a seperate belt entirely. A third belt would drive your A/C compressor seperately. On earlier versions, the water pump and the alternator are on the same, single belt - if it breaks, you lose both your alternator AND your water pump - park the car. The two-belt setup allows you to lose one belt, and limp home on just the water pump or until you get the spare belt on.....the dimensions of the two-belt setup and the one-belt setup are different.

8. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Once again this is a ferrari unique belt and you cannot get it at your regular auto parts store. The later 2 belt system for the QV's are different then the earlier versions. I would suggest you call anyone of the sponsers or T. Rutlands and they should have the right belts. I think they are special gates belts.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    ditto (your typical autoparts store isn't going to have them) -- do a search on "gates polyflex" for more threads.

10. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    #10 JazzyJay, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the hints on the belt model numbers. It led me to find out the correct info. The links below are the manufacturer's (Gates Polyflex) product information pages:

7m975: http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catSearchFrame&returnURL=http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates&returnTarget=_top&gotoAdvSearch=false&domProductQueryName=7m975*&CFID=12257712&CFTOKEN=47133447

7m1000: http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd=catSearchFrame&returnURL=http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates&returnTarget=_top&gotoAdvSearch=false&domProductQueryName=7m975*&CFID=12257712&CFTOKEN=47133447

Click on the product link and you'll see part numbers, model numbers, SKU, and a nice picture/description. I need to go back to my car to make sure of the 2/3 belt setup, but I'll update this thread with the exact part number (and then it should be added to the parts cross-reference thread???).

Also, it is not a Ferrari specific belt, since it is available at a number of automotive or industrial distributors (either in stock or at their master warehouses). This is great if you bust a belt and need one locally in a hurry. Use the Gates dealer locator link on their website (although ACME auto is no longer a distributor).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
  12. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I just pulled the belt off of my 77 GTB and it is the gates 7M975

13. Ananda

Ananda Rookie

Mar 19, 2011
    Hi! I agree, there seem to be endless variations concerning the length of the belt. I just measured the one on my 308QV 1984 for the water pump and alternator and found: minimum 89cm (alternator up to the max) and maximum 92 cm (alternator down to the max), measured at the inner diameter. No guarantee this would work for your car!

miketuason likes this.
  14. Ananda

Ananda Rookie

Mar 19, 2011
    You mean, one belt for the A/C and one for the water pump + alternator? For the water pump + alternator, the 16" you mention cannot be right. I measured 35"! Could be for the A/C?

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Easiest solution: Just order the belt from ricambiamerica.com.

(FWIW, I have literally no idea what lengths all the belts are. Have changed them all, never needed to know actual lengths, nor cared.)

16. Ananda

Ananda Rookie

Mar 19, 2011
    Precisely, it is a single belt, as....the A/C belt does not count!!!

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#17 dwhite, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    I would go with the gates belt. I have single belt setup on my 83qv. Never had an issue with the belt (its been changed) in 19 years of owning/driving it. I did just upgraded my WP to the Nick Forza pump and he was speaking about a 26.3ish inch belt, but I had no problem using the factory correct belt for my car.

My belief is all belts just get better and better and gates has been making belts for years.

Cripes this is 12 years old.