London - car spotter's heaven | FerrariChat

London - car spotter's heaven

Discussion in 'Australia' started by pacoll, Feb 6, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pacoll

pacoll Karting

Oct 4, 2007
    Gold Coast, Qld
    Full Name:
    Perry Collier
    Spent two weeks in London and over two weekends saw three cars I'd never seen before:

1. Black F599 (but saw one on the Gold Coast last weekend)
    2. Black/grey Porsche Carrera GT (now that's a mean looking piece of gear)
    3. White Ford GT (amazing looking car)

+ several Lamborghinis, F430s, 355 GTB etc

Sorry, no pics!

Cheers
    Pez

2. laminator

laminator Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    How do we know you're not bluffing? :D

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    lol...yeah!!!

4. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Pics ???

5. pacoll

pacoll Karting

Oct 4, 2007
    Gold Coast, Qld
    Full Name:
    Perry Collier
    You are quite right, I could be making it all up, but then why would I bother? Yes, I should have pulled out the mobile phone and taken a snap, but they were cruising along (except for the Ford GT) and gone before I thought of it. Moretti might be a referee for my integrity (he kindly dropped by one day to show me his 308 QV)...

Cheers
    Pez

6. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://www.uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Geologist

How to spot a Geologist

To spot a geologist in the wild, look for:

-Hand-lens, compass, pen-knife, handcuffs etc. tied round neck with string.
    -Someone with a beard and Sandals... Jesus was a Geologist (actually, carpenters back then were also stonemasons, so there is some truth to that statement)
    -Someone who owns a pet rock and is not eight (in the case of paleontologists, this will be their closest friend), with said 'pet' often found hanging from keys.
    -Someone with not much enthusiasm on the subject of dinosaurs. Geologists consider an event a 'mass' extinction only if 80% of the living organisms die and get buried in sediment for conservation.
    -Someone explaining to airport security that a sidewall core covered in gunpowder residue isn't really a weapon.
    -Someone who only includes people in photos for scale, and has more pictures of his/her rock hammer and lens caps than of family and friends.
    -Some who, if they could travel to Jupiter's moon, IO, would think the coolest part about it was the volcanoes and not the space travel.
    -Someone with a collection of beer cans/bottles that rivals the size of his rock collection.
    -Someone lighting a cigarette with a handlens focussing the sunlight, or a coat hanger stretched between the battery terminals of a University van.
    -Someone who brings beer instead of water when hiking.
    -Someone whose lunch consists of rocks, instead of ordinary bread.
    -Someone who consumes tonsil-killing chili for dinner every night of the week, and warms it up in a can on the drill rig engine block.
    -Someone whose child is trained to know the geologic timescale before being able to walk.
    -Someone with hair in a pony-tail (this applies to male or female geologists).
    -Someone who considers a "recent event" to be anything that has happened in the last hundred million years.
    -Someone who licks and/or scratches & sniffs rocks or in case of china clay will eat it to prove its perfectly safe.
    -Someone who eats dirt and claims to be "getting an estimate of grain size"
    -Someone who will willingly cross an eight-lane interstate on foot to determine if the outcrops are the same on both sides.
    -Someone who can pronounce the word molybdenite correctly on the first try.
    -Someone who has hiked 6 miles to look at a broken fence that was "offset by a recent earthquake".
    -Someone who says "this will make a nice Christmas gift" while out rock collecting.
    -Someone who thinks a "sexual exploit" is lying naked on an outcrop so the satellite will photograph them on the next pass.
    -Someone who hires student assistants with an eye to whether they can run slower so the bears get them first.
    -Someone who can jump start a campfire in wet weather with the judicious application of a beer fart.
    -Someone who from personal experience knows the difference between Arctic grade and summer grade diesel fuel.
    -Someone who even on an average day in the field can make Indiana Jones look like a bit of a klutzy wuss
    -Someone who looks at scenery and tells you how it formed.
    -Someone whose pockets tend to be filled with bits of rock.
    -Someone whose rockery moved into their spare room.
    -Someone who has more pairs of hiking boots than shoes.
    -Someone who wears hiking boots constantly, even for formal functions, and occasionally sandals with (obligatory) socks
    -Someone who thinks of woodlice as trilobites but would tell anyone off who said so.
    -Someone who, when on a beach, will collect shells and try to explain their muscle scars to you.
    -Someone who prefers to explain the sequence of events shown in a cliff face to sunbathing.
    -Someone whose collection of petrified wood samples is stacked like cord wood.
    -Someone who plans extra time on trips to investigate road cuts along the way.
    -Someone who almost crashes his/her car looking at road cuts while driving.
    -Someone who often explains how their boozy coffee with whipped cream resembles a layered igneous complex.
    -Someone who knows the phylum, kingdom, and genus of every ancient creature lodged in stone, some of which look nothing like an animal, but can't remember his/her mother's, or spouse's, birthday.
    -Someone who uses a geologic hammer to halve a boiled egg.
    -Someone who modifies his/her one yard pace to one meter in order to simplify pace-and-compass mapping.
    -Someone whose radioactive ore specimen collection glows in the dark. It is so bright you can:
    use it to read by.
    illuminate your front yard.
    use it as a landing beacon.
    see it from Mars.
    -Someone who can identify the chemical formula for Cummingtonite...and chuckles like a junior-high kid every time.
    -Someone stuck on the side of the road without a spare tire because it was removed to make more room for samples or alcohol (or the spare is already being used on the other side of the van).
    -Someone who, when asked what this rock is says, "Leverite, so leave her right there."
    -Someone who walks out of a bathroom and asks if you noticed the fossils in the stall dividers.
    -Someone prone to Linnean mnemonic devices such as Keep Privates Clean Or Forget Getting Screwed.
    -Someone who can only relate to one "Rock Band" (besides BIF): Are We Not Men, We Are Devonian!
    -Someone who enjoys their topography: Subduction leads to orogeny, and orogeny leads to relief.
    -Someone who walks into an art museum and looks at the floors and columns commenting on the stylolites and fossils, rather than looking at the paintings.
    -Someone whose shorts expose way more leg than you ever wanted to see.
    -Someone who rocks the party and is the schist everywhere they go.
    -Someone who can say, "Gneiss Cleavage" or talks about slaty cleavage and means it in a non-derogatory sense.
    -Someone who takes special interest in your granite countertops in the kitchen and after a few minutes will even produce handlenses before giving other guests an igneous petrology lesson.
    -Someone who gets really upset when the countertop, which is obviously mafic/aphanitic/metamorphic, is called granite and takes 20 minutes to tell you why you're wrong.
    -Someone with whom you cannot hold a lunch time conversation with in a food court, because they are too busy analysing the tabletop for rare minerals.
    -Someone who can’t use a street map because it doesn’t have contour lines.
    -When helping someone move and you ask "is this box full of rocks?" They answer "yes, be careful."

If you remain unsure, ask the subject to draw an annotated diagram of a trilobite. A true geologist will immediately reach for their waterproof notebook - this is your opportunity for escape.

signed the Mining Engineer :)

7. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    You lost me at "How"

8. laminator

laminator Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    Was it that necessary to quote the WHOLE bleeding thing?

9. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    The Papster is a geologist!!!!!!!!!!!

10. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    TLDR

11. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    i spent a month in london one day (boomtish) and didn't see anything worthy of mention.

12. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    thanx for the update.

13. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    What sorta tourist are you that doesn't have a camera handy :p

14. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    you're welcome

15. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Next time, just go to New Bond St on a Saturday afternoon, you can't cross the road without being run down by an exotic car.

Sadly, they're almost always driven by a "footballer's wife" kind of person, if you know the stereotype (think blonde, thin, not too smart)

16. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    And then he can start a thread about how common Ferraris are in London... :p

17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    thanks for the idea!

18. pacoll

pacoll Karting

Oct 4, 2007
    Gold Coast, Qld
    Full Name:
    Perry Collier

Yes, a bit slack, I've been there a few times and a bit over lugging a camera around, but given the GRIEF AND ANGUISH I've caused you all, I'll make sure I have one ready for the next exotic rumbling by. The Ford GT and the Cararra GT were amazing, are there any in Oz? The 599 was good to see, but doesn't do it for me like a 3*8...

Cheers
    Pez

19. Necx0

Necx0 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There are 2 Ford GT's in Oz as far as I know. One sitting in Ford's headquarters, still LHD I believe. The other is sitting in the P1 showroom and has been converted to RHD.

Carrera GT's I have no idea. I think a couple of Aussies bought one but don't think they live here. No doubt others will be able to answer far better than I.

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    318?? :)

21. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    is that anything to do with S&M ?

22. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Perry's a lying bastard, I don't own a QV, it's a Fiesta with Cardboard cutouts stuck on like Giovanni's 355CH ... I thought why should he be the only one to look like a goose :D

23. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Was the Gold Coast 599 black?? Did it have ENZOGT plates on it? :):)

24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #24 PAP 348, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. laminator

laminator Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007