Explosion near my home Thursday. | FerrariChat

Explosion near my home Thursday.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by thecarreaper, Feb 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/national/2008/02/08/Refinery.Blast/

i was on the phone with a friend, sitting across one corner of my bed with my back against the wall. The shock wave from the explosion hit my house so hard that it knocked me off the bed and square on my tail bone, right on the hard wood floor. The orange fireball and glow from the fires back lit the homes and trees. There was burning debris falling from the sky, and then several waves of people came running up the side streets, at full speed. i offered to help, but no one wanted to stop! one key thing i have not seen in the news is that several people that were fleeing for their lives said there was a fire at the Refinery, and that people were going to the rally points to escape the fire in the building. The sugar silo just went up like a Roman Candle with a devastating explosion, and it destroyed the 4 story building, and set everything on fire.

The Triage area was set up at the large Church near my home. the helicopters above waiting to land were a sure sign that there were many in need of immediate attention.

i would like to take a moment to thank all of those who dropped what they were doing and came to help. the Emergency response from the Ambulance, Police, Fire and related volunteers was inspiring. i lost count of how many Georgia and South Carolina vehicles there were. i have owned my home in Port Wentworth for 8 years, and although i have the income to move somewhere else, i have stayed this long because of the community here. special thanks to the Port Wentworth Police for their hard work in keeping everyone out with the exception of Residents and Emergency personnel. i had no problem with being asked for ID in order to travel in and out of the area (for work). as a home owner, i really appreciate all of their hard work.

i cannot describe how violent that explosion was. my thought and prayers are with those those involved and their families.

Michael M.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Wow, my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone.

This reminds me of the natural gas pipeline explosion in Brenham,TX around 1991. I was eating breakfast getting ready for elementary school, when there was a loud boom. It sounded like a fighter jet flying by creating a sonic boom. We were over 50 miles away from the blast and it sounded like it happened around the corner. It's very scary stuff. I know what you were thinking.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    this was like 20x what a power line transformer sounds like when it overloads and blows up. 17 people are in induced comas in the burn unit in Augusta. :(

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wow!! Glad you are OK! Thoughts and Prayers To ALL Down There!!!

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Back in 1980 in my home town, a drive in restaurant with a gas leak (deliberate insurance scam), blew up late one night. Sounded like an A-bomb going off. Blew out a zillion windows in the surrounding area. Fortunately nobody was hurt. I was about a mile away, and it sounded like a dozen sonic booms all at once. BLAMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (and yes, I know what a sonic boom sounds like, even though the air force has disallowed supersonic travel over populated areas for years. I heard them many times when I was a kid back in the day when jet jockeys were flogging their afterburners any time they wanted.)

6. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    There are two transformers on my street right next to my house and when they blow up its crazy!! I can't Imagine what that was like. My thoughts are with the families.