Solution to car wash/water ban | FerrariChat

Solution to car wash/water ban

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by achilles99, Feb 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    I actually enjoy washing my car, so when the water ban hit last year I was not pleased. I came across some stuff called Optimum No-Rinse, which essentially let's you wash your car with 2-3 gallons of a water in a bucket (and while your garage doors are closed). I was skeptical, but this stuff is amazing. Turns out that a lot of car detailers use it for mobile washes. I was able to wash my car in 20 minutes, and virtually no water was on my garage floor.

I'm not affiliated with the product at all, just thought I'd share with others who are probably in the same boat...

2. atlSPOTTER

atlSPOTTER Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    VC
    Thank you. While my dads been out of town, he asked me to wash his Maserati and it took about 40 minutes...just to do the rims. I didn't have any good washing stuff so nothing came off easy. Using just water in a bucket to wash his car is virtually impossible without leaving streaks. Thanks for putting that stuff out there. Now how much does it cost?

3. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom
  4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    either that or just wash your car at night when no one will see you do it

5. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom

No dice, here. My County water people drive around at all hours looking for evidence of outside watering -- wet driveways, healthy plants etc.

6. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    I read about Quick & Easy wash, the Optimum No-Rinse stuff is supposedly the next generation of it. You use a lot less, so even though the ONR costs more (about $40 shipped for a gallon (128oz)... you only need about 1 oz. per wash) the experts think it works better.

If you want to read more, go to:

autopia.org

Those guys are insanely anal when it comes to detailing. I ordered my ONR from obsessivedetail.com, he's one of their forum sponsors and was currently running a special for $32/gallon. I'm going to order the Poli-Seal from him, too. He ships fast, and I've read that the Poli-Seal is amazing.

7. VPC

VPC Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2002
    MI
    Full Name:
    Victor
  8. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Get friendly with your neighbors and do it on your grass...I have a muddy Jeep now and need to find somewhere to get it all off.

9. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    My neighbors are fine, I'm just worried about the county driving around. Don't want to pay a $1000 fine!

10. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow that is big money to have a clean car.

11. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    What if you were to buy bottled water & wash the car with that? It's not from the city... would they care?

12. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    Good question, not sure. Don't want to find out, though! The ONR stuff is great, because I can wash my car with my garage door shut.

You can use used bath water, though (yuck).

13. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Actually, that works quite well... I've used it myself...

Trick is to take the bucket of water from the tub BEFORE you take the bath.

JD

14. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    Then that defeats the purpose of the bathwater rule :) I actually read the city code on it. Clearly says used bathwater. Then again, the ONR allows me to use anything I want in the privacy of my home, since I'm not breaking the "outdoor water use" ban.

15. gmblack3

gmblack3 Karting

May 16, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Bryan Burnworth
    I have been using QEW for 2 yrs. I have gone 8 months between polishings on the wifes 740il in calypso red. Under halogens, I could only detect a slight trace of marring in 8 months. Approx 60% QEW washes and 40% conventional 2 bucket washes.

I highly recommend using the 2 bucket method with either QEW or ONR. One bucket with your QEW/ONR solution and the other with water.

QEW: I use 1oz per gallon of water and a few sprays from a bottle of (QD) Quick Detailer. From what I understand ONR already has something that does not require a QD.

Its nice in the cooler months as I use warm water in both buckets.

Washing media: I prefer a plush MF towel. Some use a wash mitt.

Place your wash mitt/MF in the solution bucket and wring some of the water out.

Makes passes front to rear and not in circular motions. I make one pass on the hood and flip my MF to a fresh side. After each pass I turn the MF to a fresh side. So you should be able to make 4 passes before going back to the buckets with the MF folded in half.

Place the MF in the water bucket and adgitate it around. Wring it out the best you can and then go back into the solution bucket. Repeat the process till you are done.

Dry the car with a quality MF WW drying towel. If the QEW solution dries on the surface or glass, go over that area again with the QEW/ONR solution.

I then use an older MF to QEW the wheels and dry them after.

16. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    That's almost exactly how I do it. I end up adding about 1/4 oz. in the rinse bucket too to help release the dirt.

I switched from using microfiber to the Lowe's grout sponge by Proline (found in the cleaning section, NOT the tile section... there's a different one there). The sponge is soft with big holes to catch the dirt.

17. mvarga

mvarga Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    Atlanta Georgia
    I actually did that for a week or 2 . Luckily i found a local car wash in which you can wash your car by hand.

18. cglass17

cglass17 Rookie

Sep 12, 2004
    So where is this local car wash that you can wash by hand? And what is the name?

Thanks

19. pressuretested

pressuretested Karting

Sep 29, 2004
    peachtree city, ga
    Full Name:
    bryson richards
    You guys are always more then welcome to use the shop. It's been awhile since I've posted and seems some new people are on here but I've done several car wash GTG's for watercooled VW crew. They've been very thankful and we all had a good time talking cars and washing!

20. cglass17

cglass17 Rookie

Sep 12, 2004
    That is mighty nice of you! I wished I lived closer to you. I live in Alpharetta. I doubt I will get down there but I appreciate your offer.