Scammed for a lot of money. | FerrariChat

Scammed for a lot of money.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Fan512bbi, Feb 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I dont know really where to begin this story, but ill start from the day i met Maureen, i was contacted in November 2007 by a lady to give a quote for modifications to her house, the quote was accepted so work began, this job is a long project and work is still ongoing.

During the course of the work i got talking to Maureen and we became very friendly, Maureen was a nurse all her life untill she retired at age 60 eight years ago, her husband died three years ago so she is living on her own, during a conversation in November she told me about a gentleman she was in daily contact with through the internet (msn), she has been in daily contact with this gentleman since February 2007, this man claimed to be a U.S army officer currently serving in Iraq, i did not think much about it really but she admitted that she had fallen in love with him and that he had proposed to her.

Fast forward to Saturday 9th February 2008, i was busy when Maureen asked if i would do her a favour and run her into the local town so that she could go to the bank, at this point in time me and Maureen had become quite good friends, she told me thst this man wanted to fly from Iraq to the U.K to visit her but had problems with his bank in the USA, he asked Maureen if she would lend him 10.000 British pounds?, i begged Maureen to reconsider this because i believed he was a conman, after some persuasion she decided to reconsider, now at this point i contacted a friend who is in the U.S army and is in Iraq, this friend being fellow F-Chatter Drstrangelove, after exchanging a few PMs i was back at Maureens yesterday morning and armed with some info that Drstrangelove had provided me with i presented it to her, she then showed me another message from this man in which he asked for a further 50.000 british pounds, he claimed that the U.S Military had forwarded his belongings to a safe vault in a bank at Ghana and that he would need her to send the money there so that his possesions would be forwarded to her, now she believed what i was saying and agrreed that he was a conman i persuaded her to contact the police, Maureen was so upset that i contacted the police on her behalf, i was told that because no money was sent a crime had not been committed but they would send an officer to speak to her, when hearing this Maureen became very upset and cried terribly, she went upstairs and returned with an envelope that she handed to me, i opened it and inside were four money transfers to a bank in Ghana totalling 20.500 british pounds, i couldnt believe what i was seeing and contacted the police with this new information, they are currently investigating this case.

Maureen is a lovely old lady who has worked hard all her life, it makes me mad, sad and feeling totally useless that this person could do this to her, anyway i will keep you updated on any future developments.

Steve.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I take it the transfers mean the money has already been sent? How tragic.

Really, we play with scammers around here but it is heartbreaking to think they fool poor trusting souls like your friend.

3. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Yes mate Maureen lost 20.500 pounds to this scum, he groomed her all this time with promises of a better life in Miami and dream weddings, it is really sad how these people can do this :(

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Sad.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    For some strange reason international fraud is rarely pursued by any agency. I had a smaller scam loss of about $5k that I managed to reduce to $2k by challenging some charges etc... The FBI has a department just for this sort of thing, but my scammer was in Canada and they did nothing. I found out later that the scammer managed to steal another US citizen's $20k. That could have been stopped, but nobody in gov't really cares.
    BT

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    It makes me so angry to read about this kind of stuff :mad:. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Kudos to you and DrS for getting involved before it got worse.

7. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    This crime should be taken more seriously, DrS pointed out to me that most of this money could be used to profit terrorist orginisations.

8. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    You are right mate Maureen could have lost a lot more money to this scum.

9. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Another dirt bag scam artist, Florida is full of them.

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It really was good of you to pursue this for her given the emotional shock and embarrassment she must be feeling. Hearing this story gets me physically worked up but also glad that people here help look out for those who might not be aware of these types of scams.

Please post if there is any way to help.

11. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    He told her that he had a beach front property in Miami, of course this was a deam come true for a 68 year old lady.

Mate you are right, she now feels so foolish and keeps insisting how stupid she is, and i can confirm that Maureen is far from stupid, anyway i just came off the phone to a friend of Maureens and she will be staying the night with here, i cant think of a way you can help her, but out of temper this afternoon i did go on Maureens PC and obtained three e-mail addys that he as been using to contact her, also a mobile phone number that he uses to talk to her.

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

So did she send this person money after you warned her of a scam? If so, it is really hard to feel sorry for someone who chose not to heed a blatant warning. It's really unfortunate she didn't use better judgment and was taken advantage of.

13. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    No mate she did not send money after i got involved, all money that was sent was sent before i had any knowledge of what was happening, you must understand that this lady is 68 years of age and very lonely, and was groomed over a period of 11 to 12 months.

14. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Strangely enough, the bigger the lie, the more likely some people will believe it, and, the harder it is for them to see it is a lie.

Many years ago I met an older conman that was passing himself off as a brain surgeon. He claimed to be in town on a temporary basis to do a special surgery and several local people fell prey to his story and assisted him in getting a hotel room, meals paid for, etc. Later it was discovered he was a complete fake, but by that time, he was long gone. Fortunately no one in my family lost any money to this guy, but what a shock to find out we had all been duped. It seemed so silly afterward that any of us would believe any part of such a wild lie, but we did. We all did.

So, let Maureen know that she is not alone. Conmen exist because good people are trusting in nature.

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

OK, then this is a classic seniors type scam. The guy was able to capitalize on here loneliness. Unfortunately the money is most likely gone and hopefully it won't cramp her savings too much.

16. gblogger

gblogger Formula 3

May 2, 2004
    N.E. Florida
    Full Name:
    Gee Blogger

It's the Secret Service, and they do what they can. If I were the OP, that is who I would contact, and ASAP.

EDIT::::http://www.secretservice.gov/criminal.shtml

17. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Can these services be of help as Maureen is a UK citizen?

18. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That's some plane ticket, a younger person would have alarm bells ringing at full tilt.

19. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    What he told Maureen was, he could not get a direct flight but that the flight would have to go via Ghana and that he would also need the money for accomodation, but as DrS pointed out to me the US military would have provided the flight free of charge via rented 747s.

20. gblogger

gblogger Formula 3

May 2, 2004
    N.E. Florida
    Full Name:
    Gee Blogger
    Sorry, I didn't see you were there. I'm sure your government has some type of program similar to this. I did a quick search and found this http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/419.htm . If you'd like, I can see if the SS has contact info for the UK/ Wales tomorrow (they are closed now).

21. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    man, i'm sorry to hear about this. what are you going to do with the email addy's and phone number? are you turning them over to the police?

22. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Thank you mate much appreciated :)
    Yes the police are going to recieve this information, but i do feel like giving them out so that this man? can have a taste of his own medicine.

23. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    just make sure you hear this. I knew someone who sent it, and got nothing. Then she was contacted again, by someone claiming to be the FBI who told her they were monitering her account and going to catch the criminal if she sent a payment again. She did. She was old. She lost a ton of money, in the 6 figures i think. Make sure she doesnt send any more no matter who says she should.

24. ErikV10

ErikV10 Formula 3

Oct 30, 2006
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened to Maureen.

I was thought never to trust anybody no matter how long have you known them or who they are in your life.

25. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Good advice, i will make sure Maureen gets it, thanks mate.
    Its a sad world when we cant trust anybody, but safer i bet.