Please "show me the money" | FerrariChat

Please "show me the money"

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by thoang, Feb 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
  2. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
  3. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    It's called libel Tuan. I suggest if you got personal beef against me that you take it to PM and not spread your BS on a public forum. BTW, if you knew anything at all, you would know that you need to continue to be sponsored by a financial institution to keep your CFA designation not to mention that you need to keep paying your dues just like the 7 and 63 your claim you have.

4. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    how about:

"Damn, that's better than the Secret Deposit I had on a VIP GT3RS. Time to call my Credit Card Company and cancel my order"

5. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk

6. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Josh, based on your statement, you're implying and I'm inferring that you once held the CFA designation. That would mean you passed each of the Level I, II, and III exams, met the work experience requirements, and was a member of the CFA Institute. You are also implying that as a condition of your CFA designation, you were once sponsored by a financial institution and had paid membership dues to maintain your CFA designation. As I stated before, if you prove it, I will be the first person to publicly admit I am wrong.

That is your prerogative to bring a libel suit. I called you out when you said and wrote to us you had put a $10K deposit on your credit card for the Lambo Superleggera, and that you put a similar deposit on the Porsche GT3RS. You also said and wrote to us that when you canceled the orders, your credit card was refunded. If you couldn't prove it then, how do you expect to prove it in court? I, on the other hand, have a letter from the NASD stating that I passed the exams.

Next time you want to pick on someone half your age, you should think twice. Goes around, comes around.

7. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang

8. formulagt

formulagt Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    SoCal
    What's with all the hostility against thoang? Seems like he's just quoting from a previous thread. If you've got your CFA SanGuru, just post it up and call it a day...most CFA's I know have em' hanging in their office. Snap a pic with yours and your middle finger and you're set!

9. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Update: To those people who have PM’d and emailed me asking if Josh has offered proof that he was or currently is a CFA, after 5 days he has not. However, he has offered a response to my request.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185264

Josh (SANguru) would like us to believe that he was once a CFA but is no longer because he is either not currently sponsored by a financial institution or has not paid his CFA dues. His response is illogical. How do you account for CFA’s who are independently working for themselves? Would you let a CFA designation lapse because you did not pay the $225 annual dues? His response makes a threat of a libel suit. I challenge him to prove to me or in court that he was a CFA. I will publicly apologize to him if he can prove to me that he was once a CFA.

10. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    When this exchange first erupted, I received a PM request from Josh to delete it. At that time I asked both Josh and Tuan to tone it down, but I also wrote both that since the credentials under dispute had been used as part of an argument on Fchat that I felt it was fair for a request for proof to be made. I then advised them each that if proof was or was not provided, then the relevant party should publicly apologize to the other depending on the outcome. That is where it has sat for the last 3-4 days.

11. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

Maybe he was a CFA and maybe he wasn't. Maybe he "misrepresented" himself a bit by adorning himself with credentials that he never really had. If he was using these to get money from people, that's one thing. But to simply throw them out there in a casual post is another. And not a HUGE deal to me or probably many of the posters here as he wasn't using them for any real benefit. Heck, at first I thought it stood for Certified Financial Advisor.....

The internet police are always watching though on FChat. Sometimes it's for the good. Other times it kind of looks like people have nothing better to do than disect other's posts. Oh well. Whatever....

Here's what I know...

1. Josh is a good guy.

Here is what I would guess (based on the banter).....
    1. Josh was involved in doing CFA-type stuff.
    2. Probably never was "truly" certified.
    3. Got called out on it and is embarrassed by it.
    4. No one cares.
    5. Tuan is probably a good guy too but is getting a little carried away in getting Josh to "admit" to something that not many people care about

Here's what I think.....
    1. Josh should just come on here and tell everyone that he was never a CFA and let it go (regardless of if he was or wasn't)
    2. I, and many others, could give a crap if he was or wasn't and could care less about the outcome of this "argument"
    3. Josh should post a mea culpa stating that
    a. He was never a CFA
    b. He completely lied
    c. Tuan is 100% right and caught him
    d. He is embarrassed and deeply saddened by his actions
    e. He wants everyone to respect his privacy in this trying time
    f. He is going to go to rehab for it
    g. He found God

If, and only if, he says all of these things, can we forgive him..... ;-)

12. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I just want to clarify this point. Whether something is or isn't a huge deal isn't really why these posts were extracted (that just had to do with unmixing two unrelated threads) or not deleted. I generally try not to judge whether something is "worthwhile or not"; frankly there's a lot of stuff I don't think is worthwhile. In this particular case, I suspect it isn't relevant to many people, but I can see that it might be relevant to some people, particularly those in the finance industry, since the CFA credential is hard to get and somewhat prestigious. (Sort of like hearing someone else claim they're an Oxford grad with 3 Ph'D's when you're an Oxford alum ;)).

However, excepting spam-like postings, XXX- or obscenity-laden postings, or postings that reveal private info that the person did not reveal themselves; the general rule on Fchat is to leave postings alone. The postings may be moved or the thread locked, but it remains accessible and pretty much as the original poster wrote it or last edited it. What you see is what there is, warts (or patina) and all.

In this particular case, two long-time local forum users seem to have a disagreement. I saw nothing which fell into the usual categories for post deletion or other censorship; though one party was arguing it was libelous, it seemed to be a fair request for proof, not libel. So I told the two users not to litter the forum with their disagreement, and advised that they should just put it to the test, the appropriate party apologize, then move on and forget it. If they both just forgot it then that would be fine too.

13. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill

I'm not blaming you for leaving it up. Just saying that most people don't care one way or another. All good...

14. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    I hadn't really noticed it until Yin pointed this out, but I've been an Fchat member since April 2004, but you would never know looking at my post count. I've lurked on Fchat for many years b/c I didn't own a Ferrari. In that time, I enjoyed reading and learning about F cars. After many years of saving and making responsible financial decisions, I was finally able to afford my first Ferrari.

I normally don't get involved in threads because I find it is better to read and learn, unless there is something of value I can add. But when I came upon Josh's reply, I felt I needed to speak up. To me, Josh is not a faceless anonomous person on the internet because I know him personally. When Josh responded to someone who had called him out in a thread, he used the CFA designation to add credibility and legitimacy to the context of his post. Bill, you're correct in saying it's not a big deal to many people whether you're a CFA or CPA. But I've worked with many CFA's and CFA candidates. For those who passed, they worked extremely hard to earn their CFA designation. Back in the day, level I, II and III exams were only given once per year. If you failed that year, you would have to wait another year to retake it. Now, I think they offer the exam more than once a year. I watched my colleagues study in the evenings and on weekends for months on end while balancing a full time job, family and relationships. I know, because while they were studying for their exam, I was attending school at night to earn my MBA. But I digress. I don't feel I am getting a little carried away because a CFA designation is not an insignificant achievement. Some people feel passionate about different things, otherwise we would not be a member of Fchat. Is it ok to use a professional designation falsely in a casual post? Some people don't care, but I feel that the truth is important. Without truth, we would be on a slippery slope. We may be tempted to use any professional designation we felt that would further our cause. I would not have responded in this thread if I had not received PM's and emails from other Fchat members curious if Josh had proved it or not.

15. SANguru

SANguru Formula 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I haven't had a chance to respond since I am traveling. I registered as a candidate in 98 with AIMR. Took Level 1 that year and studied my ass off from December til June and had absolutely no life. Accounting was the biggest ***** and all the ratios etc were such a chore to memorize. Quants, ethics, econ etc weren't bad. Took level 2 in 99 and failed. That was the year where apparently 64% of the people failed that took it apparently. The essays were brutal and since I didn't do as well relatively speaking on the accouting piece in level, level 2 was really really hard and was very dejecting. Nothing like sitting on Van Ness and wondering why the hell I am doing this to myself. Passed level 2 in 2000 after really concentrating on accounting and running through a lot of study groups and level 3 was a relative breeze. I barely had enough experience and started applying for the designation. The process was stopped as the company I was working for got bought out, fixed income department was all let go. I was lucky enough to have a CS background so I went over under the new company as a DBA but yes it's true, it never followed through w/ the designation. Take it for what's it's worth...

Tuan I really don't give a **** what you think and a lot all your stuff doesn't check out either including why you didn't do the strawberry field metric century ride because you were going to LA, you looking to buy a continental GT for betty, among others. Nevetheless, I don't give a crap what you claim since in the grand scheme of things what your claim doesn't affect me or vice versa. You still got beef with me... call me on the cell.

16. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    So Josh, you are now saying you passed all three exam levels but were never given the CFA designation because your company was bought out, the fixed income department was let go as you just started applying for the CFA designation? That is preposterous. I recall, you implied and I inferred that you already had the CFA designation but lost it when you lost your sponsorship with a financial institution and thus did not pay your dues.

But I recall you said you already had a CFA designation.

So which is it? Did you already have it? Did you have it and lost it? Or were you about to get it but things happened beyond your control that prevented you from achieving it? I don't know which version to believe. Could it be possbile you never passed any of the exams? I don't know. But I do know that I will apologize to you publicly if you prove that you passed all three exams as you now claim. As one person who PM'd me, he said that if he had a CFA, he would make T-shirts with "I'm a CFA" on it and wear it every where. BTW, what does going for a bike ride have anything to do with a CFA? Is it possible I didn't do the Century Ride because I didn't want to do anything with you? Now take that for what it's worth.

17. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
  18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Just get it over with and make out already

Yin; thanks for extracting these from an otherwise quite fun and enjoyable post!

19. Charduck

Charduck Rookie

Aug 15, 2007
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Charles
    + 1
    Josh is a good guy.

20. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Admittedly, I know next to nothing (and maybe less than that!) about CFA credentials and what it takes to get them. Sounds like quite an accomplishment and I can see where one would want to protect their credentials. Looks like this one isn't going to end gracefully.... All good....

Sincerely,
    Bill Moomey M.D. PhD SOB MT CDE RD CPA RN

**To set the record straight, I only have one of the above-listed designations. And I have put in a lot of time and effort getting it. ;-)

21. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Hey I have an SOB designation, and I did NOTHING! ;)

22. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    After hearing a bunch of stories from you over the years, I had a friend run your name through the State of California directory and the National directory. It showed that, indeed, you were a member in good standing on BOTH!!

;-)

23. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    uuuhhhh, what is a CFA and why should anyone but the two involved in this pissing match care?

I assume ya'll have each others phones #'s or know how to meet with each other. Man up and discuss it in private.

posting this kind of carp on an internet forum is poor form for both of you.

24. damage

damage Formula Junior

May 20, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jarod
    I don't know what CFA is either, but sounds interesting. A quick googling of it says it's "a self-study, graduate-level program for investment professionals." 3 exams to pass. You can take as long as you need to complete the program and take the exams as many times as you want. Innnnteresting...

25. blu328gts

blu328gts Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    //Rick
    CFA = Certified Ferrari Aficionado
    Or at least in the context of this forum, right?