$300K to spend: Scuderia or CS + '08 GT3? | FerrariChat

$300K to spend: Scuderia or CS + '08 GT3?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bobbyd, Feb 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Just curious. If given the choice (and only that choice, not all of the above), which would you prefer, the combo of a 4 year old CS plus a new '08 Porsche GT3, or a single new 430 Scuderia?

2. onefastx

onefastx Rookie

Feb 13, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Timohty Handelong
    I would buy the 430 Scuderia, or Go find a mint 360 Challenge Stradale and supercharge it. This is coming from a non Ferrari owner, just a dreamer for now.

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I would choose the best of the best and would not settle for the second best ,even if could have two of them.
    A Scud all the way....

4. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No contest! Scuderia all the way!

Note that buying a 430S for $300k means that you're getting MSRP pricing (or very close to it) which is a very difficult proposition if you're in the US -- Market pricing will likely be MSRP +75 to 100k.

5. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
  6. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Good luck with buying a New Scuderia for $300K. Try $350K-$400K. Base will be $265K plus dealer mark up plus options! I have a CS and after seeing, touching, sitting in the Scuderia it is not worth the extra 100-200 grand! You can always take a CS and spend a little $$$ to get a bit more performance.

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Flamesuit on, not to mention the CS is one of the most beautiful F cars of all time.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Daytona coupe. ;)

You'll stand a very good chance of seeing your money again -- or you'll still have a very cool car in 10 years when the others are old news.

If you like modern, the CS has probably done most of its depreciating.

9. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would take the CS & GT3 combo. Then you have one for fun and the other for everyday use

10. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I can't believe you didn't say 6 328s ;)

11. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    +1

12. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    I agree..........+1

13. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    WTF? You make the "4 year old CS" sound like it's a bad thing.

14. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Tarek, i was expecting your answer coming soon :) I was curious what is your opinion, but did not expect such answer.... Just kidding :)

15. raw tubor

raw tubor Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm grappling with this exact question myself -- FOR REAL -- so interesting you should ask! I'm leaning to the CS + 08 GT3 and here's why;

If I trade in my CS + poney up $150K to buy a 430S, I get more of the same ferrari platform which is ending its production run to make way for the new model -- which will likely be lighter. And as great as the performance of the 430S might be, I've already experienced the visceral rawness of the CS, enjoyed 1000 admirers, have a car that's viewed by many as more attractive than the 430S, that's holding its value, and remains highly desirable. Going for the 430S will give me much of the same experience, ESPECIALLY, as the capacities of the CS already exceed my driving skills, there's almost nowhere to open up the CS let alone the 430S w/o being thrown in jail, neither are a daily driver and thus they tend to accumulate pathetically low miles, and, finally, time on the track tends to be pithy.

If I keep my CS + get an 08 GT3, I get cutting edge variation, the opportunity to own two fantastic performers. And yes, the Porsche will work better as a daily driver and so, between the two of them, I will be inclined to put far more miles on the cars = far more driving pleasure. I also will enjoy the opportunity of participating in two "worlds" and sharing experiences, the Ferrari guys and the Porsche guys. Sorry to say it F wannabees, but owning an F car can be a tad lonely at the margins as there tend to be few events where you can really meet up, enjoy others. Having both an F and P car doubles the fun, and that's an experienced-based claim by the way. Finally, if you really do regard yourself as a "driver" and not just a "poser", then I see it as wise getting one's butt into two different cars, learning to master both, rather than just buzzing along in the paddle shifter, drugged out on the intoxcating sound.

Just my 2 cents, IMHO, on bended knees brothers.

16. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    IMHO, 2 great is better than 1 slightly greater... cars of course.

17. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    360CS + GT3.

Honestly, IMO, the Scuderia is ugly. Yes, there, I said it. UGLY. The 360CS, on the other hand, is one of the most beautiful cars on the planet, and the GT3 is the most fun and confidence-inspiring cars I've ever driven. Not beautiful, but a track machine.

18. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Scuderia won't be $300k unless you are getting it at MSRP. If you happen to be one of the lucky ones then take it at $300k and sell it for $400k! Buy the CS and GT3 and put the extra $100k into an investment! :)

Personally - the CS and GT3 would be the better choice. Two special cars instead of one! :)

19. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Really appreciate all the replies so far, guys. One thing to consider here in the U.S. market is: when your dealer makes the call to allow you to spec your car for delivery at MSRP, if you don't go thru with it you likely fall out of "the club" - if you know what I mean. Right now I'm in that club, but @ the current rate of inflation for new Ferrari's, I'm not sure how long I'll stay in. As far as turning a car for $100K profit goes, I for one do not play that game. I buy a car to have and drive. With upcoming required buying arrangements thru FNA and limitations on how early and to whom one can sell a car, the days of driving new Ferrari's for free are likely to end soon.

20. sting168

sting168 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    Scuderia all the way!

21. Kurt RSF

Kurt RSF Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    There's such a thing as having more cars than you can really drive and enjoy. At least that was the case for me. I had a CS and a new GT3RS at the same time. Between the two, I preferred driving the CS. They were cars of a similar purpose. I ended up selling the RS, and then later also the CS. I was ready for something different. I now have a new 430 spider. Not as raw and edgy as the CS, but there are more occasions to drive it.

22. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    How can you measure one performance car vs. another performance car you simply saw, touched and sat in?

23. euro_exoticar

euro_exoticar Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Gainesville GA
    Full Name:
    Justin Edward Jones
    What about a 360CS and a GT3RS... I think the RS looks better than the standard GT3... IMHO

24. blk360m

blk360m Karting

Apr 23, 2005
    i say go with the scuderia.

25. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    CS and GT3 all the way. For me the Scuderia is too expensive even at msrp.