$300K to spend: Scuderia or CS + '08 GT3? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$300K to spend: Scuderia or CS + '08 GT3?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bobbyd, Feb 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peloton

peloton Karting

Jul 6, 2005
    Ashland, OR
    I liked my CS but then moved on to a current 430. Plus I picked up a GT3 and a GT3RS last year. I enjoy the "feet in both camps" stuff - the 3 is a fine daily driver, the RS is great at the track and set up for that. And the 430 is a special experience on both road and track.

So, my opinion would be CS + GT3.

2. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    i've lived w/ a 997 GT3 and a strad for a year, and will be doing so again until the gt3 sells. you dont need both, they overlap in target usage too nearly.

the scud is a nifty road car tricked light, but can you use the incremental gains it offers over a strad anywhere? and i find the strad better looking, and more unified as a package.

but if you were correct that i could get a scud for 300, which is way too low, i would keep the strad and a driver.

GT3's are great if you can use a stick which i cant anymore, or dont find them antiquated in traffic. they are great handling cars and look decent, they're cheap and disposable. they have a low profile advantage over a strad -- you can e.g., drive them to clients whereas a strad is too showy in most cases.

3. JGTCNSX

JGTCNSX Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Although I agree that performance is a key factor in one car choice over another the CS takes the Scuderia in every other department. I have had faster cars than my CS and faster than the Scuderia. Hell a new GTR beats the Scuderia in performance. So performance is not the only factor when making a car choice or we would all sell our Ferrari's and go buy LFA's or GTR's.
    I still can't see paying an extra $150K for a Scuderia over a Stradale for the small performance gains. I just don't think the Scuderia is worth $350K. Would I buy one for $265K (MSRP), sure I would. I have a new M6 and it is my daily driver and one hell of a car. So ask your self does CS+BMW M6+$50K=Sucderia NO WAY!! Sorry never had a P car so cant make educated remark as to CS and P car over Scuderia but I think the M6 is a good sub.

4. Gonzalo92

Gonzalo92 Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    Houston
    definently the Scuderia, such an awesome car

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Add another $50 - 100K to the 430S side of the equation.

6. ChompsIL

ChompsIL Karting

Apr 30, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey Tarek....I see a common link between our Avatar's :)

7. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    +1

8. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There are 5 phases every Ferraristi goes through on every new model. Only the time between each phase varies -- for some it's a few minutes, for others it's several years:

1. OMG. The new model is so UGLY. What were Ferrari thinking ? They've ruined EVERYTHING!!! The old model was SO much better looking!!
    2. The new model doesn't look too bad I suppose, still prefer the old model's lines though. I must admit I do like the new technology/performance of the new model.
    3. The old model's starting to show it's age, and I admit it, that new model is starting to grow on me!
    4. I can't believe anyone likes the old model -- the new model looks so svelte, sexy and appealing; it's a modern classic destined to be the prettiest Ferrari ever made and will only appreciate in value from here on out...
    5. What's this ? Ferrari are releasing photos of a new model ? Arrrggghhhhh It's HIDEOUS!!!!!!! <goto 1>

Never was this more clearly demonstrated with the 599. Remember the threads -- looks like Toyota, looks like Frogs, etc - the haters were voluminous as they were vociferous. And then they went through the metamorphosis described above, and then the gushing started and the converted heaped on the praise. I L-L-L-L-LOVED it right from the start -- from phase 1 thru 4 (and holding) in 0.3s flat.

Anyway, I predict that the 430S will steal the hearts of Ferraristi over the coming 12-18 months. I also predict that CS values will suffer a sharp down-turn in 12-18months time if 430S availability begins to loosen-up. So, if you really like the CS my advice would be to wait a year or so....

9. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Performance, to me at least, derives from driving a car and taking in its overall feel. It's not simply the objective criteria. Any second rate magazine car give you numbers. There is a subjective component to performance which only comes from driving the car.

For example, I've driven a CS and I've driven a Z06; and while the Z06 was faster, it just didn't "do it" for me like the C.S did.

You're lucky to have a C.S. What a car! IMHO the C.S. is better looking car than the Scuderia, although I am looking forward to seeing, touching, sitting in, and driving mine! :)

10. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would go with a 911 Turbo coupe and '08 GT3 for $300k. Forget one car :p Have two different ones!

Even if the single car is a Ferrari :D

11. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    Agreed! Also- and Ill be brave here since everyone seems to love the 360- I never thought it was a beautiful car- too round and soft for my tastes- though I have been warming up to the look over time- I still prefer the 430. I do think the CS will be more collectable because they will have made less of them I believe by the time the 430 Scuderia run is over. Anyway, If you want 2 cars, I think you should get something that gives a little more variety rather than the wild children from 2 highly respected manufacturers. Maybe do your CS and a Porsche Turbo Cab in stick shift or even (gasp- automatic if you have to deal with a lot of traffic), or maybe a CS and then get the upcoming F149 (folding hard top front v8 engined Ferrari) in stick shift. Mix it up a little bit. JMHO.

12. al70

al70 Karting

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    You may aswell say........"Would you rather have 348tb, 996 Mk2 Gt3 and Jag XJ6, instead of a 360CS?"

Pay your money and make your choice, the rest is hot air.

13. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I keep seeing 08 GT3s being mentioned. I was under the impression that Porsche wasn't producing anymore GT3s. I realize some are available on the secondary market....are these what you're referring to?

Regards,
    Chris

14. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Porsche built around 103 08 GT3s. Porsche stopped building GT3s and RSs in December of 2007. You can't order a new 08 anymore but it's possible to buy an 08 that's coming in and someone has canceled their order.

15. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
    I Don't mean to get off topic, but is this supposition or based in fact by direct comparison? I know the ugly GT-R was fast around the Nurburgring. However, I do not necessarily believe the above statement is true.

- Joe

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Same thought here,where the hell did he get THAT information from, I have no idea.
    None of these two cars were directly compared and tested by anybody as far as I know and I doubt the GTR would be able to be even close to Scuderia.
    Nissan is compared to 997TT ,while the Ferrari's competitor is 997 GT2.
    Some here say that CS (a great car in it's time) is only slightly "less" car then the Scud and thats silly,It would be like saying that CS is only "slightly" less car then Enzo (since Scuderia matches the latter performance,according to Ferrari).
    And,as some here said already,opinions based on "look,touch or even sit in it" don't mean jack****,the only true opinion will be made valid only by guys voting with their wallets.

17. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004

Maybe. CS has a cult following because it is a Challenge Stradale, not a 360 CS. It's Ferrari's first Challenge car for the street. People always remember the first guy that broke the 4-minute mile, not the second or third guy.

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Thats not entirely true. Ferrari made 355 Challenge cars that were road legal in Europe .

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Some people here are US "oriented" only,anything available in the rest of the World does not count....

20. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    Did they say "Challenge Stradale" on the back?

21. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    The Scud (from what I read about it) seems to be doing more of the work for you. There seems to be less driver skills involved here. The CS is more of a driver's car. To me, having a GT3 set up for the track and the CS for the road/occasional track use would be perfect.

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Weren't there also 348 Challenge cars?

23. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes. And there was also the "Challenge Stradale" version of them too -- called the "Serie Speciale"

348 Serie Speciale begat 355 Fiorano begat Challenge Stradale begat F430 Scuderia ... see a pattern here ?

Challenge Stradale was just the 360 version of the latest incarnation of a "special" version of Ferrari's V8 product line.

24. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Yes its really just Ferrari's version of a run-out special, a bit like the "Ford Fiesta Bonus" where you got a side stripe and an am/fm radio to go with the steel wheels FREE just before the new model was announced :)

Seriously if you get rational about these decisions, you would always rationalize something else, like a 997Turbo at 120K since its faster than all 3 of the CS, GT3 and 430S in a straight line, + 180K's worth of other stuff like a boat or swimming pool.

However, its a case of what you want versus what you can affort. I spend endless evenings trying to decide what cars to keep because there are others I want. But right now I'm in a rut of buying more and keeping the old ones.

I have a CS and an '07 GT3 (was well as a 997TT as my daily). Both are similar but different, I'd sell the GT3 to buy something else (probably a GT2 - my allocation is not quite clear on that), I'm keeping the CS.

I also have an April build 430S coming, CS is Red/Sripe, the S will be black w/ gold stripes. I'm thinking they'll look rather nice next to each other in the garage.

25. michaeldorian

michaeldorian Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael Dorian Bach
    Wow is all I can say. Wow....