Was my F430 Spider damaged at the factory??? | FerrariChat

Was my F430 Spider damaged at the factory???

Discussion in '360/430' started by Way2fast, Feb 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I am starting to wonder if my car was damaged and repaired at the factory before shipping to me. After I brought it home I noticed the area where the passanger windshield wiper attaches a 2 inch piece of black paint had peeled off. I just figured there was a possible bubble in the flat black paint that covers the red paint in the area below the windshield. I have it at the dealer for a defective battery and I asked them to fix the paint defect and the area behind my seat where the hook on the back of the head rest (for hanging clothes) had scratched the paint. I also asked them to touch up the clear bra ( dealer installed) that had a couple of small marks. When they went to redo the the clear bra a palm size patch of paint came off the area on top of the fender. I cannot believe that the clear bra would pull paint off a factory paint job unless it had been touched up. This might also explaine the peeling black paint area next to that fender. I am sure Ferrari would never admit to anything. What is your guys opinion on this. The paint repair is being done by Premier in Culver City so at Least it wil be correct. Do you think having the fender repainted diminishes the value of my car?

2. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    I highly doubt that a clear bra would take off factory paint without something haven taken place prior to the installation of the bra. As for resale, I personally wouldn't let it worry me. There is nothing YOU could have done to prevent it and you can't change it so why worry? Put it past you and enjoy your car in good health!

3. sting168

sting168 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    I wonder if how the clear bra was installed could peel off the factory paint?

4. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I'd look into the "Lemon Law" to see what kind of "Options" you would have. I mean, you did spend a hefty chunk of change...!

5. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    A couple of comments -
    a) most new Ferraris have to have remedial paint work before they are delivered. F car paint is not up to the standard of a Porsche or BMW. That said its much better than it used to be since the new factory. I had to have a bunch of small things fixed on my 599. This is often done in NJ before cars are shipped, and also at dealers - its likely your car had to have a full clay-job before delivery. Even with this stuff, drips are not an uncommon sight under lids etc.
    b) Clear Bra can take the paint off, I know other people this has happened to, I've amended my viewpoint on it to not bother to have it, if you drive a serious number of miles you'll have to repaint the front bumper at least at some point.

6. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A lot of cars are touched up at the port. Unless the car was dropped unloading it from the ship I would not worry about it. Porsche, BMW and Mercedes touch their cars up at the port as well.

7. Way2Fun

Way2Fun Karting

Jul 6, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Chris D.
    I agree with most of the other comments. Clear bras can remove paint if they aren't taken off properly or if they were installed before the paint completely cured. Enjoy your car and don't get too hung up on the fact that it arrived with a few defects. That's pretty common in any car.

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    I agree, the clear bra can and does peel paint off....i also dont like the look of it, so i dont bother....

9. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I guess as long as the car looks perfect when I get it back then it is not worth the time and energy to worry about this. When I picked up the car it had the clear bra installed and you could not even tell it was there unless you felt it. Like I said, there was a couple of very small bubbles and that is why I asked to have it redone. I guess what is getting to me is the car had been gone now for 5 weeks, longer then I owned it.

10. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    You need to wait atleast 30 days for any freshly applied paint to cure before applying film otherwise it could peel when taking off the film. I'm guessing this is what happened in your case.

11. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    I guess it comes with the territory but that kind of stuff drives me nuts....

12. AutoConcierge

AutoConcierge Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2004
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Willis
    This kind of thing happens all the time! of the new ferrari models I come across a large majority have had paint repair, one 430(silver) I detailed three years ago had the whole right side re- shot from the body crease on down with every kind of paint flaw in the book shrinkage,motteling fisheyes on and on. The dealership did take care of the guy in the end because they bought the car back to sell when he had his spyder came in.

If the dealership backs the work up that is all you can hope for,paint work is one of the hardest aspects of vehicle repair.

13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The dealer has been great about taking care of everything. They should, it only has 600 miles on it and I only drove it for two weeks before all this started happening. I do think I will ask for some sort of long term paint warranty.