Anyone use this vendor to redo their leather seats? | FerrariChat

Anyone use this vendor to redo their leather seats?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by silvergts1998, Feb 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  2. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    Their convertible tops are first rate - I just had one of their new aftermarket top with the glass rear window installed on my Boxster.

3. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
  4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My seats are fine. What I don't like about italian leather is that they paint on the dye instead of soaking them in dye. Redoing the seats only last so long and they will crack even more down the road. Just looking for a better alternative.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I believe Ferrari leather is originally vat dyed...its just most the redye jobs use spray on dye because it can be done without taking te interior out of the car...

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Adam,

I put a new black wilton wool carpet set in my TR. last year. I bought it from from GAHH. The quality is very good and the seams are proper and fit very well. ( it did take me 4 days straight to do it properly though. ( Thanksgiving day weekend 06')

For the leather, Ferrari uses Colonolly leather which I believe is surface dyed anyway.

For redying your seats, use Leatherique. George is a member on this site. He will walk you through it and will answer any question you have. I redid mine in 03' and they came out perfectly using his product.

For best results, use a high quality spray gun( Devebliss ) ......I'm sure you already have one knowing your garage ;)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

7. Engineer

Engineer Karting

Dec 22, 2004
    ditto Leatherique. follow directions. came out great.

8. scottmar

scottmar Karting

Sep 11, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Scottmar
    Ferrari leather from Connolly did have a surface finish added even though it was probably vat dyed. That finish was subject to cracking over time. The only way to avoid cracking is to purchase pure aniline dyed leather without finishes on the surface. These are vat dyed all the way through the material and are usually dyed over leather that is not grain corrected. That means you are looking at the actual grain of the hide. Most of these leathers are from Europe where there is no barbed wire in use. US hides are usually re-grained and spray finished to cover up marks from the wire. If the leather looks like vinyl it probably has a lot of finish on the surface and the grain is probably corrected. Grain corrected means that a new surface grain is stamped on the leather. Spinnybeck leather has very high quality european cow and calf hides, many are pure aniline dyed. They have a website. One thing to note is that the hides with less finish are easier to scratch and stain, but there are types made for automotive use that have minimal finishes, some of which are applied during the vast dye process, which help protect the leather.
    Scott

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I thought Ferrari stopped using Connolly leather several years ago?