Some Nikon questions from a D70 user | FerrariChat

Some Nikon questions from a D70 user

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by tifosi12, Feb 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    With the announcement of the D3/D300 I was starting to think whether it wouldn't be time to upgrade from my D70.

Being cheap I first thought of the D40X, but then read that it only supports AF-S and AF-I lenses. My Nikkor telezoom is only AF, works great on the D70 but I guess would no longer have autofocus on the D40X? I also have the Sigma 50-500 (Bigma) and I think that too would no longer have AF?

So how should I upgrade? D200? Or even throw in the big bucks for a D3?

Finally, how can I clean the chip on the D70? I got dust on it, then blew into it (my bad) and spit ended up on the chip. So how do I get rid of that?

2. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'd say going from a D70 to a D40X would be a downgrade - don't do that.

I went from a D70 to a D300. I love my D300, but I wouldn't think the D3 would make sense unless photography was your profession.

As for the chip, I'd take it to your local camera shop. I had them clean mine once.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I thought going from 6 Megapixels to 10 was an upgrade, but with the lack of support for the AF lenses, I start to see your point.

I meant D300, the amateur version. 5k would be ludicrous. :)

4. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have a magnification fetish: The closer the better, which is why I got the Bigma 500mm lens and often use it at that zoom level. More megapixels allow me to "digitally" zoom in even further. If I don't see the white in the eyes of the drivers, I'm not happy. :)

6. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I went from the D70S to the D80. spent the rest of my photo $ on lens. 17-55, 2.8, 70-200, 2.8, and today I picked up a 50. 1.4

I love the D80, it's a huge step over the D70. I put my chip and the 70-200 on a D300 at the shop I was at today. I walked around outside and shot about 50. I'm looking at them now. What to sell. This is sick. Can't sell anything. This is sick. If my wife starts putting together what this stuff cost, it's gonna cost me a car or something. Sell the D70 for $300, get the D300 and keep the D80 as a backup. This is sick. Got an Epson R1800, 2 months ago. You got to have one of those. Picked up $120 worth of ink for it today. Keep looking at the D300 picks from earlier. This is sick.

Andreas, moral of the story is, if you don't buy the D3, you can buy all this stuff above.

At least I sold some prints last week and am working on some stuff being published.