BMW 335i Hardtop Convertible????????? | FerrariChat

BMW 335i Hardtop Convertible?????????

Discussion in 'Other German' started by The Ape, Feb 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    I drove one yesterday and decided I have to get one. Once in a while I just cant drive the 430. Usually when I pick up the kids or have to carry a bunch of crap in the car. My car for that purpose now is a CLS 55 AMG Benz. The Benz is amazingly quick and handles great. It's also paid off and and trouble free. I've had the car for 3 yrs and Im thinking of a change. Im selling my Shelby GT500 which is a convertible and Im thinking of selling the benz too. I've been thinking I would wait for the Porsche Panamera, but Im trying to get into something a little more eco friendly to offset my Ferrari lust. I cant get a Prius cause' I HATE them with a passion. MY entire family drives them and every time I drive one I want to puke, not a drivers car. So yesterday I test drove the 335i and was blown away. Its fast, brakes well, handles well and the hardtop convertible seems to be the best of both worlds. Am I missing something?? Is there another NON MANUAL car I should be checking into??? I need some input from anyone who drives a Ferrari and also has a late model car from another manufacturer that you LOVE!

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    While I have no Ferrari, I have a 335 with manual tranny and enjoy it. Have driven the auto and it's great. You can't go wrong. I have no experience with the converitble however.

Must it be convertible? With the top up they look a little odd.

And you mentioned eco-friendly...if you wait until the fall the 335D (diesel) is coming stateside. Everyone in europe is averaging in the upper 30mpg range. I've heard of upper 40mpg's on only highway driving.

3. Bcube

Bcube Karting

Jan 9, 2006
    I.E. in SoCal
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I have a Maserati Spyder with the CambioCorsa tranny and my DD is the E93 (Vert) 335i with the 2nd Gen ZF 6AT. As I have 27K miles on the E93, I have come to know the bimmer fairly well, What do you want to know?

4. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Do you love it? Would you recommend it? How does is drive, is it as quick as I think it is? Basically is it fun to drive!

5. BigDog

BigDog Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    under the sea!
    i have the E90 though not a 335... have put 50k trouble free miles on it in 2 yrs... its been great car (still is!)

6. Bcube

Bcube Karting

Jan 9, 2006
    I.E. in SoCal
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Would I buy the car again? Yes. without hesitation.

We were looking to get a 650 Convertible at the time, but the power of the TT six and folding hardtop was the clincher. Hard to beat V8 power with six cylinder economy.
    An IMO, the 3 series vert is a better looking car too.

The Vert is more of a GT type car versus a sports car, as it weighs close to two ton. But with sport suspension, the car handles quite well - it is too heavy for a track car, but it won't make a fool of itself in the mountains.

* Virtually no turbo lag and torque is seamless and endless. 300ftlbs at 1400rpm - 5000rpm
    * Easily tuned - Dinan has a chip with warranty. Plus four or five piggybacks available.
    * Automatic is ZF's second generation. Upshifts at 200ms, downshifts 100ms with rev matching blips. Steering Wheel Paddles give one full manual control.
    * Godsmack brakes. Better stoppers than the Brembos on the Maserati.
    * Steers and handles like a 3 series, which is to say one of the best handling cars for its price range.
    * Comfortable and multi adjustable sport bespoke seats.
    * Best top down air control of any vert out there. With windows up and a windscreen in place, almost complete still air inside the cabin at highway speeds.
    * Decent trunk room considering it is a hardtop plus rear seat folds down for extra luggage room.

Dislikes:
    * Weight
    *Let's see, I wish the rearview mirror was a bit smaller...it tends to block some of my view to the right...can't think of anything else.

7. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Brian,
    I cant thank you enough!!! I was amazed how with the top down the wind was no issue. It's my next car for sure after reading your post!
    Best,
    Ape

8. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Why not just get an SL benz? Do you need more than 2 seats?

9. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Re-read my post and you'll see why

10. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Oh ok. Well are you opposed to an SUV?

I've got an 06 Cayenne S and I love it, they're great dd's. The new 08 Cayenne's look even better, the turbo and the new GTS model I'm sure are more fun if you want to spend the $$$, but I have no complaints with my S, it's plenty quick for my needs. :)