The Holey Daytona | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The Holey Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Wheels1, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #27 Wheels1, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi BigTex
    Mike has sent me a few pic's of my old boot lid on the new clip, as you can see they are not a million miles apart, [ looks about 3/4 of an inch out to me] i was told EG made all there own bodywork. keep hold of the Ansa number for me just in case i cannot find a European contact.

Hi Magnetfriend
    i will be keeping all the old parts, for now at least.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd cut up that old EG rear clip and hang it on the wall as a shelf. :D

That being said, I can't wait to see the finished product!

4. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    What a great project! Wish I were closer so I could go down and take a look myself!

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very interesting, that comparison...thanks!

PM anytime on the ANSA info, in case I forget.......I forget a lot, these days! :D

6. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    Hey "Big Tex":

I'd be interested in the ansa contact info as well. Sadly I need the resonator sections for my Euro Daytona, and there seem to be none to be had at any of the regular suspects.

Thanks

Tom

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Heres the contact details for Ansa themselves [ this answer came from Bob on the UK section]

Ansa have been bought-up by Arvin Meritor (one of the world's biggest OE exhaust suppliers). Anyway, they're still going:

http://www.ansasport.it/

ANSA MARMITTE S.r.l.
    via Genova 2
    41034 Finale Emilia
    Modena
    Italy

Tel +39053595711
    Fax +39053598211
    E-mail [email protected]

It was a bank holiday here in Modena today and a lot of companies are closed tomorrow too, so don't be surprised if you give them a call and don't get an answer. All back to normal on Monday.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for that!

I think they'd answer speaking Italian, at that number!

Anyway, they have a good representative here for North America, but as Tom has found the Ferrari line is such a small market it's not in the catalog any longer on the website.

They fabricate to order...I have them on my 308GTBs.....

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #34 Wheels1, Feb 23, 2008
    Went to look at my car this week and took some more pic's. The car is now ready for Mike to work his magic and remove the rest of the body from the chassis so the strengthening and repair work can begin. That's Mike in the last pic. studying a great photo of the Spyder production line at Scaglietti that was sent to me by Neil Bruce [ many thanks Neil and also to Nathan Beehl for his help with contacts] this photo shows the front inner wing support in detail before the inner wing is fitted + loads of other useful parts. We have gathered quite a lot of chassis information on the Spyder, but if anyone else can help that would be very much appreciated.
    Grant

10. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Great thread. Good luck with your project. Will follow with great interest

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #36 Wheels1, Feb 28, 2008
  12. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Not often heard that way 'round ;)

I've been seeing pictures of your car since at least the early 80's. It's been featured in at least two (2) books I have by Godfrey Eaton (I think that's the author...).

Thanks for the pictures, it's great fun to tag along a restoration project. :)

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    2 books!!!!!!
    what books are these Randy??
    if i gave you my e-mail would you be able to scan the pages while i hunt these books down?
    I would be very very grateful.
    thanks
    Grant

14. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Yes, PM me your address.

The format of the books may be too large for my scanner (to get you the full cover shots) but the actual pictures of (what I believe is) your car is less than full-page.

These were essentially bargain-basement books; full color throughout, but obviously an ecconomic production. Primary focus is the pictures, not a lot of text. Looks like the bulk of the shots came from Ferrari Club gatherings around England.

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #40 Wheels1, Feb 28, 2008
  16. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    I recognise the reg plate on that second pic. I'm sure i have seen it before but dont remember the car being that colour. Maybe just my memory but seem to remember a red one with that reg

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Grant I very much like that blue in the picture for the Daytona! It would be my choice along with the blue interior and dark blue for the carpets. Some other cars seem to wear red better than the Daytona does, just my 2 cents...
    Good luck with your Daytona project. Always glad when one can be restored. Hopefully you will get lots of help and good advice along the way. Thanks for the photographic progress here!
    CH

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Paul
    it was first reg. as RPB 93L in 1973 and the first owner put his reg. PM 2 on it, according to the DVLA he then sold it to Emblem Sports cars in 1978 the car was given an age related number of FRU 56L and at that time it was still blue, it was then sold at the end of 1979 to Coopers publicity services Ltd and i think this owner painted it green and had the inside changed to red as i was told these were his racing colors?? I was told that he was a scrap metal dealer but when i looked him up on the web his company had a turn over of £300 million in 1994 [ there sure is money in scrap] but i am not sure this is the right Mr Cooper so if any has any more info that would be great.

The car was Green in 1980 when it was sold by Modena Engineering to a guy called John Herbert Barder, a stock Broker who i have been unable to contact as he moved to the USA in around 2001 [if anyone know him i would love his contact details] so i think you must be thinking of a similar reg. car Paul.

CH my thoughts this week are maybe Celeste blue and keep the inside red to save on cost as i have had a rough quote from Mike for the work and it's going to be big bucks.

Randy you have a PM re the pic's.
    Thanks guys for all your help
    Grant

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Grant the blue red would be bold together! There is an old issue (#10?) of the American magazine 'FORZA' that featured 3 Daytona Spyder models and how the owner went about restoring them. Black, Fly Yellow and red Spyders. Could give you some ideas on how the engine compartment etc. looked. If you get bored it might make for interesting reading.
    CH

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Forza issue #10 April 1998 is the 'special Daytona issue'. Well worth a look!
    CH

21. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    Grant,
    If I may be so bold to give my opinion, I loved the red interior (even a little worn as it looked), but the exterior could be any color, as the original color doesn't really matter at this point. A metallic gunmetal gray, bronze or beluga (caviar color) would look fantastic with a red interior, and so would a silver, black, white or a dark green - you might as well pick any color from past or present to paint the car so long as you like it, because there is no longer a need to keep the colors original as the car is not in its original form.

I think you're doing a wonderful job, and I'm sure the car will look wonderful when its finished! I would lie if I didn't say I'm a little envious ;)

David

22. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    And my 2cents worth would be to at least get the seats done in a correct Daytona pattern, in red. (would match a dark blue paint job fabulously !!) The rest of the interior looks fine and I agree it would cost a lot to go whole change. The seats in it look nothing like original.

Fabio Luppi is still in business in Italy. [email protected] having them as period Ferrari suppliers do your seats would "add value"

The green looks pretty, if it had been original I would have retained that colour, but not necessarily a colour of choice when starting afresh.

Any, compliments on a nice car.

23. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I like the green on the car. Ditto the overriders. Loose the prancing horse when you re-do it, they never came with it.

Rosso Bordeaux, various blues, green, etc. all look good on Daytonas. Green with a dark biege (tan) interior would be very pretty.

I'm thinking on going with Rosso Bordeaux with tan, or black, interior on mine. I was going to go with Fly Yellow, but so many have been repainted Fly Yellow, Black and Red. Too boring.

Steve

24. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks for the kind comments, the seats are definitely Daytona seats but with a different pattern on the inserts, the only reason i can think of for this is, when the guy had the color changed he asked for the seats to be like this as a special request??? not unless you know different!

25. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Sorry for the imprecision, I meant the seat coverings, and Luppi will supply the leather with correct patterns pre cut, so you don't even have to send the frames to Italy. Anny local trimmer will have an easy job to fit them for you.

Best of luck !