Another stereo thread | FerrariChat

Another stereo thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by jonesdds, Mar 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Up to this point I've not had any concern about upgrading my stereo system but I've been driving the car on longer trips and decided I would like to have a stereo system I can hear and enjoy. I'm considering upgrading the older Alpine CD unit with one that has an ipod input and display to use with a 5 channel Alpine amp and an Alpine equalizer I have. Obviously, I need to upgrade the speakers to see any benefits from this upgrade-1989 328 GTS is the car.

What is the door panel speaker opening for my car-I realize depth might be the issue but what is the stock opening? I'm not opposes to cutting a hole in the carpeting as my car is not a concourse car and it would be an easy fix in the future if I needed to go back to stock.

The tweeters look pretty easy to remove and replace, is that true? I don't want to cut the dash but would like a component system, mounting a tweeter just under the dash under the stock grill wouldn't be that hard, correct?

I'm thinking of installing a powered subwoofer, one of the ones made for hard to fit areas and small in the center firewall area-positioned sort of like the Dodge Viper's. Anyone done this?

I'm also thinking the speakers Dr. Tommy spoke of in past threads for the rear to complete the system, or maybe something else???

Any thoughts anyone has would be well appreciated. Thanks

Jeff

2. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    I had friend of mine install Memphis Amp, Memphis Tweeters, Memphis Speakers in the Doors and on the Shelves of my 89 328 GTS.

The AMP is powering the tweeters, door speakers, and the Subwoofer. The AMP was installed under the passenger seat and he built a custom enclosure in the passenger footwell, I took the footboard that was there and kept it. The ALPINE head unit powers the speakers on the rear shelf.

As for speaker size, we went with a 6 inch round for the doors, 5.25 inch for the rear shelf, 10 inch for the subwoofer, and tweeters we went with the stock size.

Hope this helps.

3. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Where can I put rear speakers? in normal driving I really cant hear the speakers in the doors

4. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    My speakers were placed next to the side windows facing up to the roof. if you need pictures let me know.

5. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can you post some pic, I'm interested in doing the same thing. Also, can you supply the make and model of the speakers (doors, tweaters, rear) and head unit you used for reference. I have been curious as to what will fit and what won't in my '86 328.

Thanks!

6. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Yes A few pictures would be great

7. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    #7 ALUMINUMYELLOW328, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    How about some pictures of those Daytona seats, from what I see they look gorgeous.

9. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    #9 ALUMINUMYELLOW328, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Absolutely Gorgeous, someday my tan interior will be look like that.
    Where'd u get the covers?
    Thanks
    Bill

11. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    The car came with the Daytona Seats already! As a matter of fact the drivers seat is out and a Sparco seat is in its place, the stock seats are very uncomfortable!

You may want to check with REORIGINALS about the covers. Good luck.