Ferrari to increase production to 10,000 a year | FerrariChat

Ferrari to increase production to 10,000 a year

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by John Dowling, Mar 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    I know, we all complain that we can not buy a new Ferrari... and when we can, we complain they are not exclusive enough anymore (well we can get a 612). Read this press release below. Ferrari are talking about upping production to 10,000 cars a year. I guess this "new" model (front engine Aston Martin competitor, or poor man's 599) will be the contributor to the increased production and F430's and 599's will still be as difficult to get. Overall, I was not really thrilled to hear this, anyway. Not built at Maranello!?

# # # # #

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo surprised the crowds at the Geneva motor show by announcing that the Italian company will be launching a new car at the Paris show.

The news will be taken as confirmation that Ferrari’s baby GT project, codename “F149” is moving towards production. The car is set to go on sale for similar money to the F430 Scuderia and will give the brand a direct rival to the Aston Martin DB9.

Sources within Ferrari have also indicated that the car will be powered by a V8 engine featuring direct injection and will have a folding steel hard-top.

That engine should have a capacity of around 4.3 litres, but it will owe little to the F430’s high-revving 4.3 V8, aside from the engine block. Sources say it will have all-new injection rails, new intakes, new heads, new valve trains and it will also debut a type of throttle body never before used on a car. Direct injection will increase fuel efficiency increase by up to eight per cent, and a new gearbox will give further gains.

The folding hard-top will make it a Ferrari for all seasons, with Pininfarina designers using the F149 to demonstrate new, lightweight technology with shorter folded roof sections to minimise boot length. This move has meant a close collaboration with Pininfarina, and there is speculation that a large proportion of the car could actually be built at Pininfarina’s plant rather than in Maranello.

Regardless of what it is called, the F149 will spearhead the company’s push towards 10,000 cars a year, and will be expected to contribute around 4000 sales a year almost immediately. Ferrari’s current volumes are just over 6000 cars a year.

2. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Would a world where everyone drove Ferrari's really be that bad?

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ex wives too?

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    So is this the new Dino we have been hearing about?

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Yes, I think so.
    A car smaller than the 599, but front-engine, hard-top convertible with a 4.3 V8 engine.
    I think this is the car Maranello designed as the next high-level Maserati coupe, but will come out as a Ferrari because of the shift in Maserati brand ownership.

Here is the $64k question, if you could buy one, as a new car at MSRP, would you?
    Keep in mind, it will likely be somewhere around $190k - $210k in price.
    Or, would you keep the current F430 that sits in the garage?

Personally, I'm leaning toward keeping my 2006 F430 F1 Berlinetta.
    If I get a second f-car, I'm thinking a 575 or 550 is the best one to buy to compliment the F430 I currently own.
    Thoughts?

(This assumes I'm going to ignore the Lambo purchases of my fellow local fchatters - otherwise an older Miura or a newer Murcielago would be the obvious best next "extra car" to own).

6. DetailGuy

DetailGuy Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Call dibbs on detailing the Merci if you get one ;) Still haven't working on one of those yet!

7. John Dowling

John Dowling Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    John Dowling
    I don't have too much interest in a front engine Ferrari. I like the mid-engine models, basically only. The 599 is a fantastic car, no doubt. If I did a front engine, would love an older 330, 365, 275, 250 type.

Not wild about them cranking out 10,000 cars a year. But, brand expansion I suppose, is what every company is about.

8. Juggernaut84

Juggernaut84 Guest

Dec 22, 2007
    Somewhere in Cali
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I heard of such a rumour a while back that Ferrari was supposedly upping its production. I guess it's true now. Well, I'm still working towards the 430 so obviously it'll be awhile before I'm in the market for one. But I'm still predicting somewhat of a price fall in the next 12 years from now when I can finally start shopping for one. I won't hold my breath but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

9. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    No one around here owns a Miura that I know of (except Bill Marriott)........ so there's that. Grand Touring/DEW did have one on display and another they were restoring. I cannot remember though if they were local. I would op'd for a 550 over the porpoising 575s. Unless the had the fiorano suspension package.

10. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    They'll hit the CST button soon enough.

11. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I got 2 in the garage,...

12. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Yes but nothing you can actually drive..... although... you are resourceful... maybe you tie them to your feet?

13. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ

There is an orange Miura P400 that is owned by a guy in Western Bmore. He used to bring it out to a bunch of drives years ago...he's still around.

There's another red S in Rockville that gets driven quite frequently. Wetpet, Beast and I just ran into the owner at the Delano during Cav weekend.

Marriott has prototipo P400 #3.

Dew Motorcars was restoring a yellow one a few years ago. I believe it was sold to a local NoVa enthusiast/collector.

These 4 are the ones that I know of locally that actually hit the streets. DC has a reputation for having LOTS of cars that never leave their garages. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 4-5 more that never make it out on the road.

LS

14. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Where are these people? The one at DEW is the yellow one that was previously black? Does the Orange one they had on display belong to the guy from b'more? Did Ozzy really snort ants and drink Sixx's urine? Is the Stig really Spang in disguise? Give us the 411 Deep! :)

15. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    hopefully :)

16. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    +100

The car will be nice. It will also be reassuringly expensive so no one will think that Ferrari has moved down market.

-dsd

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ferrari had a large investment in the design and production of the Maser Coupe and could not write it off when ownership changed. It is possible that they would not have introduced this new line under other circumstances.

18. klally

klally Rookie

Aug 6, 2004
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Full Name:
    Ken Lally
    I read alot of car rags, I have heard this now for 2 years, and the increase in numbers (according to Ferrari) is to make more cars avail for emerging markets (can you say China?) and the Middle East.

You prob wont notice more cars here in the states than as usual.

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Even the SUVs wouldn't be all *that* bad if people actually *drove* them --- instead of just being along for the ride.

Alas, new Ferraris aren't enough of a challenge. ;)

20. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    there will be another next month.