"Plus" sized tires too large to fit in the front spare tire boot | FerrariChat

"Plus" sized tires too large to fit in the front spare tire boot

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Mar 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    OK, I've just discovered an unanticipated consequence of the new tires (225/50 x 16 front and 245/50 x 16 rear).

Should I ever have a flat by the side of the road, I won't be able to fit the 'flat' rear tire into the car once the spare is fitted.

The front 225/50 is a -very- snug fit, but that's the absolute limit - the 245/50 won't fit, and it's not even close.

Many others of you must also have fitted a bit larger than stock tires onto your cars - how do you address this storage problem?

Simply carry a couple of cans of fix-a-flat and hope for the best, forgoing the spare altogether?

Cheers - DM

2. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Isn't that what the trunk is for??? :::)))

3. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Yeah, the whole spare tire thing is a pain on sports cars in general.

In my old BoxsterS, we had a donut for the spare tire.... BUT the factory 18 inch wheels would NOT fit in the truck. So, if you had a flat, you could definately get the car on the road again, but you had 2 choices.....
    1) Have the passanger hold the 18" tire (diry cause it was on the car) in thier lap with the top down until you got home....
    or 2) leave the 18" by the side of the road and hope it doesnt get stolen by the time you get back in your daily driver.

James in Denver

4. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Maybe the cars need a Continetal kit?? LOL

5. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    I think you're trying to fit an inflated 225/50-16? I had the same issue trying to fit an inflated 245/45-17 in my Mondial. I simply uninflated the tire and it fit. To inflate, I went to Sears and bought a small cigarette lighter powered air compressor. (I also changed the Ferrari's cigarette lighter to a US Standard cigarette lighter.)

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

If you're needing to change it, wouldn't it already be deflated?

7. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    No, even simpler than that: I checked the fit of the bare tire w/o a wheel, prior to having it mounted onto the wheel.

And, the 225/50 front does seem to fit, albeit very tight. It's the 245/50 rear (or anything bigger than the 225/50) that's the problem.

This is apparently not a Ferrari / 308 specific issue, as after doing a little bit of research, it now seems that many other cars today use teeny spare tires without the ability to fit the flat back into the spare's wheel well. Amazing.

The only other potential solution that I can envision would be to (don't laugh) grab some bungee cords and lash the flat tire to the outside top of the targa roof. Sort of the "Jed Clampett" look.

Either that, or abandon the flat tire and wheel by the side of the road due to the simple inability to transport it home.

I haven't tried it yet, but will it fit maybe into the passenger seat area?

A couple of cans of fix-a-flat are starting to look better and better, and might be the only practical solution to this one.

Cheers - DM

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Fix-a-flat or AAA card. Those are the only spares I carry. Why get stressed out about it, how many times have you ever had a tire go flat and leave you stranded? I can't remember the last time I had a flat tire on any vehicle.

That's just me though!

9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    A can of fix a flat will do.

10. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I also carry fix-a-flat, but from what I've heard, that stuff is nasty for the inside of the wheel. I've been told to use it only as a last resort.

James in Denver

11. Tour de Corse

Tour de Corse Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2007
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Morten
    #11 Tour de Corse, Mar 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've already told my co-driver that IF we puncture, he will be responsible for the inflated wheel... and if it's a rear wheel, it's a 345/35 on 12" rims !

You see, that's a real spare wheel issue :)

By the way - the tiny can is a normal 33 cl beer can :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    LOL - sure would be! But the good tire (spare) needs to fit. In my case, I have a 17x8 wheel and 245/45-17 tire which not only fits snugly into the recess for the tire, but also pushed against the bottom side of the front bonnet. I deflated the tire which allowed the tires to sit a little lower in the spare tire recess and also made the sidewall less pronounced so it sat a little lower, thereby eliminating any rubbing/pushing on the underside of the bonnet. In order to re-inflate when needed, I have a small air compressor with a tire pressure gauge.

13. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Simple: GET A GT4!!!

:D:D:D

In fact, I had this happening to me, 3 weeks after I had bought the car. In the middle of nowhere in Austria, 700 miles from home, on a snowy and cold December day. I solved it by putting a bunch of plastic bags (which I happened to have with me and now always carry in the spare wheel well) on the rear bench an putting the wheel there.

14. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    If you use the more often suggested 245/45 size for the rear, you're essentially at the identical diameter as the fronts. The 245/50 tires are taller and larger overall diameter.

15. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #15 Pizzaman Chris, Mar 16, 2008
    I picked up a 8x16 QV wheel for a spare, a 550 wheel was not going to fit, i just haven't figured out what size will do. I had the full size in there before, it was the 390 wheel, with no problem.

Mike, is that the current size for the rear? 245/45 (8x16)

16. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Chris, do not forget to keep the lugs for that wheel in the car, 550 wheel lugs might be different. Believe me I know.

17. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    Just curious, is that an aftermarket/repro or OEM QV wheel? I thought the OEM's have raised FERRARI lettering on them.

James in Denver

18. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris

Yeah, it's a aftermarket one. My bad if i said OEM. :eek:

19. James in Denver

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I dont think you did, I just wanted clarification to see if what I learned before was correct. I am learning from FChat :)

James in Denver

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Mike, so the 245/45 still fits in the spare tire compartment? Do you know if the 328 compartment is the same size as the 308's?

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    What is that wheel off of? A P4? And thanks for posting the photo; when I get the wheels on my 328 repainted, I want them painted in that color!

22. Tour de Corse

Tour de Corse Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2007
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Morten
    #22 Tour de Corse, Mar 17, 2008
    When ready, my 308 will be white and wheels in gold - here another picture :)

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #23 308 GTB, Mar 17, 2008
    This will be the effect, Jim. I ordered these gold 16" wheels from Superformance and mounted Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s for track use.

24. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Haven't tried it yet, but my dealer said that a stock front will fit in the 328 with the hood closed, but the stock rear will only fit in with the hood opened a few inches, unable to fully close, but get you home. Based on that, it is the width of the tire on its side if you are concerned with closing the hood. If the diameter is much larger than stock, it may not fit in the circular cutout under the hood.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I read the boxer full size tire wont fit either and you are to simply leave the flat tire on the side of the road like new ones are free or something. Oh and the label on the minispare says dont exceed 150kph with the minispare.....ok good thing they mentioned that!