Oil seal install on crankshaft (flywheel end) | FerrariChat

Oil seal install on crankshaft (flywheel end)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eulk328, Mar 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #1 eulk328, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm sure others have already thought of this/done this..... but..... to replace the big oil seal ring (100mm o.d.) on the flywheel end of the crankshaft I used a 4-inch (101.6mm) o.d. plastic plumbing coupling that I got from Lowe's or Menard's. Any hardware store no doubt has it.

I bought it a year ago when I was in the States and I think it was $2 or $3. It has almost the perfect O.D. for the big oil seal ring. I had a small portion on the end reduced on a lathe by 2mm and it worked like a charm for the install. Put a wooden block on the end and then tap the ring in carefully. I think it was Verrell that mentioned this ring is easy to distort if not installed carefully. The plastic fitting should go a long way toward getting the ring in evenly and without damage.

The ring is very slightly recessed in the hole and that's why it's important to have the coupling O.D. reduced by about 2mm.

This was for a 328 oil seal ring install but I would guess the 308 is the same and perhaps also other models.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Tell us about your slap hammer & the fitting that you used on the end. It looks like an easy-out.... ?
    Rgds,
    Vince

3. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

It's just a pointed, coarsely threaded screw thingy that came with the el-cheapo slide hammer (from J.C. Whitney or Harbor Freight). I would guess it's specifically intended for this purpose. I think they all come with one of those accessories along with 4 or 5 others parts you can mount.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice tool!! :p:p

5. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #5 eulk328, Mar 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    and cheap :)

This photo shows the small step where the O.D. was reduced by 2mm. The plumbing fitting on the right is the one I used for the crankshaft oil seal on the pulley end (without any machining)

6. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    You've got to be a Kiwi with that engineering solution? Good though.

7. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    No, not a Kiwi. Never even been about those parts.

I thought other people were doing this too. Maybe I should have bought a boxload, put Ferrari stickers on them and then sold them through ebay :)

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

What are you waiting for? :p:p