348 Engine Mounts | FerrariChat

348 Engine Mounts

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by bitstream, Mar 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitstream

bitstream Guest

Can serious damage or problems result from not replacing worn engine mounts on a 348? I haven't noticed any significant vibrations, however my mechanic has recommended replacing them -- but the $2,000 price tag is a bit steep for something that may not be imperative.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Worn mounts, not really man. :):)

But get them replaced as soon as the budget allows. :):)

If they were cracked or broken, then I would do is asap as that can cause some issues...............maybe. ;);)

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Since the 348 and 355 use the same engine sub-frame, try using the 355's motor mounts instead of the older 348 mounts. They're just $70: http://www.superformance.co.uk/355_a.htm

Perhaps there's no need to spend $2,000.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Geeze 2k! I'd mount the engine to a 2x4 before I spent 2k on something so easy to fabricate myself.

5. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Very good ND. :):)

But.........they are probably charging him $200 for the mounts and $1800 labour!! :p:p

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Actually no. They are extremely hard to find at a reasonable price. Mondial t is the same issue. The 355 mount is not a simple plug-and-play swap, but I'm pretty sure it can be done with a chunk of labor, a small stick of dynamite, three shakes of a rattlesnake tail.

I won't even inventory the 348/Mondial ones because they're such stoopid money.

7. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    #7 chrisx666, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These list at GB£990 each including tax in the UK. It's this sort of thing that is making me seriously condiser the continued ownership of this car (some parts I can see value in, parts like this it's not so easy). There must be an alternative with a bit of thought and fabrication though.. marine engine mounts are available is various sizes/hardness.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thats what I would seriously consider doing!! :):)

I didnt realise the 348 mounts were that expensive!! :):)

I reckon you could send one to a company that makes engine mounts, get them to replicate the Ferrari mount and they would still charge you less for it than a genuine one!! :D:D

9. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    West Marine should be able to match them up for you. It's not like Ferrari makes those motor mounts!

Anyway, what was changed on the sub-frame to use the 4 bolt 355 motor mounts?

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    I think ferrarioldman has been through this before...

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Hence my comment about the "rattlesnake tail". He keeps them in a small drawer beneath the espresso machine.

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Its just a motor mount the problem comes when owners demand originality. Anything made can be reverseengineered and made again. I'm sure you can find something close modifiy the perch which would be an easy weld/fab job but not OEM. I'm with ND on this one. 2k is too stupid.

13. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Ferrari Spa lets its car owners know when factory originality needs improving/customizing by simply pricing any given OEM part obscenely.

How much are OEM 355 exhaust headers, for instance?! You wouldn't pay it, you'd go custom...and that's Ferrari's intention.

Same again with 348 tranny bearings.

Ditto for 348 motor mounts.

It's how Ferrari communicates.

14. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Never occurred to me, but you may be completely right!! ;)

15. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    #15 ferrarioldman, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What I ran into was the early Mondial T mounts. Picture below shows the replacement on the left and the original (broken) mount on the right. Had to drill out the mounting arm on the block to make the new one work. No reference to this smaller mount could be found.

I think that FOW changed the ones on Juan Fandango's Challenge 348 to the 355 mounts.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would not be surprised if some shifting problems and some oil leaks past triple seats are the result of failed engine and sagging geatbox mounts. The 355 has a gearbox mount and not sure if any other design change yet does not seem to leak oil as much as 348 seem to leak into the clutch pak.