Windows XP problem?? | FerrariChat

Windows XP problem??

Discussion in 'Technology' started by 8 SNAKE, Mar 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've got a laptop with XP installed, and I'm having a problem connecting to the internet under one of the two profiles that I have set up. I'm using a wireless router through my home internet connection. The computer seems to connect to the internet (it says it's connected), but every time I try to open the web the screen locks up and sends me an error message. Sometimes the home page starts to load, and other times it won't pull at all. But every time it locks up and I have to close the page.

When I log in under the second profile, the internet works exactly as it's supposed to. Any ideas? I've tried clearing cooking and internet history on the first profile, but that didn't do any good.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    is the second login an admin?

there may be a setting under user accounts / accessibility set in admin that may prevent access from guest / other user accounts .

i am sorry i am not much help, i had to reload my LAN / PCI drivers off my motherboard disc when i did this new build, as the LAN connections disappeared.

3. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Remove the other user and run a virus scan or spyware program. If it doesn't allow that then it means the other user has made themself admin. Are you the only one who uses this machine?

4. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My wife and I are the only ones that use the machine.

Both profiles were set up as normal users (no admin or anything like that), but we really only used the profile that is now locking up each time we try to access the internet. We tried the other profile to see if it would work properly, and it does.

5. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    If you right click on the little computer icon in the lower right and click Repair, that usually fixes the wireless problems I have.

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Oh, and it's oznE irarreF. Yours currently says Ferrari Ezno. ;)

7. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks your the first to notice, I'll change it right now.

8. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No problem. I noticed a couple of weeks ago but forgot to mention it to you.

9. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    assam epilef

10. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Switch to Apple, easy cure. I held out for windows way too long, resisting the media. I should have gone Apple earlier. They just don't have the problems windows does. Think XP is bad, try Vista...

11. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    +1

i just got an iMac about a month ago. 100% the best decision i've made...

12. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    An iMac is definitely in my immediate future, as a replacement for my desktop unit. But that's a topic for another day. I still can't get my laptop to function properly, so I think I'm going to have to get it checked out.

13. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i think it may be due some security settings, or administrator settings.