Newbie to Ferrari | FerrariChat

Newbie to Ferrari

Discussion in '308/328' started by foxmul, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    Hello all,

I just bought that 308QV on ebay that had the engine fire and I plan on pulling the engine and overhauling it. Any other 308 owners in NJ I can chat with and longingly stare at their car? I restored a Delorean in the past but this has more damage to it. I still feel that the reward of saving this car with be high. This car shares alot of the fuel system with the Delorean. Any tips or tricks? Just don't point and laugh at me.

2. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    Hanover, NH
    Full Name:
    Greg Loupis
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I hope you did some research before you bought. Parts for these cars are extremely expensive. Keep us posted on your progress, and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of guys on this forum that know these cars inside and out. Good luck with your project. Greg

3. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    gratts on your new ride,I'm not laughing,I think your brave I've alwas wanted to do that but affraid of not finishinf or doing something wrong,heres a website for parts I also have a qv (85),if theres anything you need chime in any time,good luck..............www.ferraripartsexchange.com

4. Rv5

Rv5 Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ross V
    in my experience, disasters like that are always blessings in disguise. few years back i had an engine fire in my other toy car that was my pride and joy. it almost brought me to tears when it happened. but after i settled down a bit, i dug in and got to work fixing my baby. after all was done, the car was better then she was before the fire. good luck to you. sounds like you have a long road to travel here, but im sure you will have a fantastic 308 in the end.

5. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    I think this is COOL - I hope you stay on the board and post lots of pictures of your progress and findings. I remember this original post and thinking how sad it was that it burned and that it might end up in the crusher, or at best parted out. Very exciting for everyone!

Congratulations on your purchase - My only words of advice are - be patient.. Although they are never as easy as a "1-800 HOT ROD" type deals, the reward in the end is so much better. With help from people on this board you can't go wrong.

:)

6. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    You guys are pretty awesome. Thanks for the encouraging words. Anybody in NJ with a QV? Anyone know where I can get a nice rear deck lid or flywheel (used)? I will post the pics. There are some restos on here that are very inspiring. Like that yellow one? I do!!!

7. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Try T.Rutlands

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  9. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    If you are going to overhaul (rebuild) you may want to get in touch with Nicks Forza Ferrari (a sponsor on here) and James Patterson at Norwood also. Lets see.... I'd put some higher compression pistons in that thing for starts. Put some QA-1 shocks in... Maybe switch it over to electronic fuel inject...... etc, etc...

As for QVs in NJ.... yeah I think you may find a few guys up that way. Go to the New York Tri-State section here then go to: http://www.fcapennjersey.com/

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. We love this stuff.

10. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Remember the World According to Garp?

You have been "pre disastered" LOL

Best of luck and this is a great place to be. Start posting pictures asap and lets all get involved...great fun!

11. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    I see barcheta has started the ".. while you're in there.. " thread.. hahaha..

Come on man, this place thrives on pictures. My ADD can't handle too much text. let's see some action! :)

12. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    #12 foxmul, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some "before" pics I promised. More to come. Even though the interior looks rough, I doused it with Lexol and it really looks nice now. I am not worried about it yet. What I am worried about is the condition of the engine and the trans. I know I need a bell housing and flywheel for now but who knows what else? Every morning I hope that the Stephen King "Christine" curse srikes me and parts on the car have mysteriously fixed themselves, ........but no luck!! Thanks for the advice. You guys sound like you know your stuff!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    All she needs is a new alternator belt and air hose. Buff out that paint discoloration, and she'll be good as new!

14. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

Looks like something I'd buy :). FWIW I rebuilt a fire motor that the intake had liquified and "ran" into the intake ports. When you pull the head nuts off look at the washer seating surface . . . if it got really hot the washers will dig into the aluminum . .. even if there's no sign of it yet you want to check they tq up properly before you spend the money on rebuilding your heads and new head gaskets (i.e. re-tq them before pulling it apart would be a good test). .. I machined the area out and made a heat treated insert to go in there . . . this is not cheap if you have to pay someone to do it.

Happy to share my experiences . .. some would tell you to part it out (not me :)) . .. I encountered no problems with gearbox relating to the fire (drop gear nut had come loose though).

Sean

15. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I hope I never see that under my hood and if my engine ever looks like that after a fire I wouldn't know where to start,oouch!!!!!!!!!!!

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Ah, an oil line fire...

17. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    It's just a flesh wound ;).

18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    WOW! how depressing, Did the bell housing melt?

19. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    The bell broke outward because the flywheel blew apart. I have no clue how that happened. It seems like the engine did not get damaged. Only the rubber melted off on the oil cooler side. You are right about the oil fire. How did you know? As I am taking pieces off I am finding them in good shape. Even the plenum is in good shape. The air pump suffered the most and we don't even really need that. I have no clue where the oil cooler went. I think the trans is fine. I have to see. I am pulling the engine and having it checked. I might as well have it redone while I am here, I will have the compression checked, etc. I really only have to replace all the rubber, electrical wires(the hard part), bell housing including the clutch and flywheel. I am changing over to electromotive igntion from Nick Forza. It would be cheaper than finding new coils and caps, etc. I need a back window, and driver's quarter glass and louver. I also need a rear deck lid or refinish the one I have.

20. PWehmer

PWehmer Formula 3

Oct 15, 2002
    Surrounded by Water
    you're list of things that "only" have to be done is challenging. best of luck to ya. hope the price was "right".

21. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    masochist!

22. foxmul

foxmul Karting

Mar 14, 2008
    Millington, NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph Molino
    #22 foxmul, May 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After alot of cursing, me and a mechanic friend managed to pry the ship from the bottle or what you guys call removing the engine. Holy cow!!! What a pain when the engine mount bolts spin freely. Engine looks surprisingly in good condition. I need a bell housing and the thing next to the bell housing, extension housing (whatever that is called). No metal melted, as someone's previous post asked. all the ports look good so far. Now I have to clean up and paint the frame and the gas tanks, etc. The forum is so great. I learned alot from that guy who was rebuilding the 77 yellow 308. Man, what a thorough job!!!

23. jbell

jbell Rookie

Jul 8, 2007
    Warwick N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Jim Bell
    I am right over the board in N.Y. I have a 2v I do most of the work myself. I have had mine 16 months now and love every minute. This time of year it is out almost everyday. I am going on a 900 mile trip to West Va. and back next weekend. Keep searching the forum you will find more info than you can read. Good luck
    Jim

24. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am SO IN AWE of folks like you!!! I would LOVE to try something like this, but I'm old
    enough to know I just don't have the chops to do it, and dangit I'm jealous of those who
    do!

PLEASE keep us posted as you work through this project - I saw that car on Ebay, and
    I really hope you'll take her back to 'like new' and drive her for a while, then move her
    on to a happy new Ferrari owner somewhere.

Keep up the good work - have no fear - and post the results as you go along.

WAY COOL!!!

Jedi