Vette physics question | FerrariChat

Vette physics question

Discussion in 'VetteChat.com' started by jungathart, Apr 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    You mount wings on a vette and place the car on a conveyor belt. Could the vette ever reach take-off velocity and fly?
    Note: assume no friction, dissipated heat, that you are running on all-season tires, and you only drink Bud-Lite.

Any takers??

2. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Q: what were the rednecks last words??

A: watch this!!

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    No - he said "hold my beer, buddy - I'm just gonna try something"

4. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I never gradjuated high school so theirs no way i could figure that one out. But ma' guess wood be yes if wood fly.

5. LamboBully

LamboBully Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Brett Keller
    Hold my beer, watch this! i believe is the correct term.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    No, no, no.. it's;

I'm too runk to droll a joint, I'll dive!... Watch *hic* this!

7. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Actually I believe it is, "Hey Y'all, watch this!" while still holding the beer.

8. LoveMyMullet

LoveMyMullet Rookie

Apr 1, 2008
    Don't forget to factor in the drag created my your mullet flapping in the wind. My mullet gets me every single time.

9. BigDaddy5

BigDaddy5 Rookie

Apr 1, 2008
    Well, I am a corvette owner, but I also have a degree in physics. This makes me an expert in the field of Corvette Aviation, a little recognizes subcategory of the "Vette Lifestyle." I am truly glad you started this thread.

First, with your setup, the car would not take off. Unfortunately, all season's do not maintain the traction necessary to reach the necessary 88mph required for lift-off. Everyone knows you need ZR rated soft rubber tires as a minimum. Preferably drag radials.

Second, you must not have a mullet. I know this is a hard concept to understand, but if you have a mullet, the drag coefficient will greatly increase, and you will again, not be able to reach the necessary take-off speed.

Your bud lite must be at LEAST half-way gone, and you must have no more than 3 full cans in the car. This is widely overlooked fact in the world of Vette Aviation. If you have more than 3.5 cans of bud lite, your car will become too heavy for take off. You may have some empty cans on the passenger seat floor to help balance the weight, but no more than 3.5 full cans.

If all of these factors are met, you can achieve take off on a conveyor belt. I have done it, I am an expert.

10. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Who can drink just 3.5 cans of Bud Lite?

11. BigDaddy5

BigDaddy5 Rookie

Apr 1, 2008
    You may drink more before hand, but the in order to achieve lift, you must not have more than that in the car. It's a simple weight-lift ratio.