Ferrari Dino Spied Testing Again | FerrariChat

Ferrari Dino Spied Testing Again

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jk0001, Apr 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
  2. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The car that still officially doesn't exist was spied again. If you have not seen it yet, one of our spies caught the prototype Ferrari Dino while undergoing some testing on a track. This thing has been denied so many times by Ferrari, most recently by president Luca di Montezemolo and former CEO Jean Todt at the Geneva Motor Show. While at that show, the two did announce that a new Ferrari will debut in Paris later this year, but no further information was available.

What we do know, according to GrandPrixLegends, is that Mattel will distribute a scale model of the new Dino in 2008. What is still possible is that the car we think will be the next Ferrari Dino is actually a GT420 or 470. Believed to be based on the front engine Maserati GranTurismo, this new Ferrari likely has a V8 engine with 400 horsepower. Initial production will likely be of a coupe, with a convertible coming down the road. Pininfarina is speculated to be in charge of design. The spy shots show a prototype car so heavily padded, it may be meant to look like the mule caught by Automedia last September.

That car was based on the body of a Ferrari 599.

The name "Dino" holds special significance to the Ferrari family. Enzo Ferrari's son, Alfredino "Dino" Ferrari passed away in 1956 from muscular dystrophy. He was 24 years old. Enzo designed a Dino-badged car, produced from 1968 to 1976, with a V6 in the rear.

A new Ferrari Dino could cost anywhere between €100,000, on up to €115,000, pending final design and the current high Eurozone inflation rate. Some experts have said that Ferrari could sell 4,000 units of a new Dino annually once production is approved. If Ferrari can build a high quality Dino, but still maintain high margins, this car could significantly benefit Ferrari's bottom line. Expect to see this car on the road by 2009.

3. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Why do they insist on calling it a "Dino" when Luca di Montezemolo himself officially announced that there will be no "Dino".

4. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Because it sells magagines & newspapers

5. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    At least call it the Dino Ferrari and not the Ferrari Dino...... I suppose it doesn't matter anyways, F149 has nothing to do with the Dino. The F149 actually reminds me of the 365 GTS4

6. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    If this car is introduced with only 400hp it will tank regardless if it branded as a Ferrari. Who in their right mind would buy the car at Ferrari prices? You could buy a Maserati today with similar numbers for about 1/2 what Ferrari reputedly going to sell this for.The car will need at least 480hp because it will have a retractable top and be relatively heavy.

7. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Same reason people pay so much for F430s over a GTR, Z06, or Turbo.

8. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    Because it is a F-E-R-R-A-R-I

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    He also said that used Ferraris were the entry level cars and that he'd never build a "small" Ferrari either. Last year "...managing director Amedeo Felisa stated there's not a modern-day Dino or any other "entry-level" Ferrari under development and asked the media to discontinue reporting there would be."

10. arhimede

arhimede Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    But is not smal.I post a comment on such an article telling them that will be no Dino, and all the people said that I'm not relative with Luca.:) So is not hard to find why ..

11. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    I am surprised.......they just won't get it and only confuse the readers.