CS brake wear and cost | FerrariChat

CS brake wear and cost

Discussion in '360/430' started by vm3, Apr 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    The carbon ceramic brake rotors on my CS were still mirror smooth after several thousand miles of street driving. After just one track day, grooves appeared on all the rotors and the brakes are now noisier. Is that normal?

How many track days do the pads last? What do they cost?

How many track days do the rotors last? What do they cost?

2. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Oh Boy...not sure on the cost!!!! But i hope your sitting when others chime in.

Good luck.

3. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    I believe the CC brakes are a approximately a $16k option, so that's probably a VERY rough idea....
    -David

4. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I heard about $4,500 per rotor and somewhere between $2,200 - $3,000 for 4 pads.

5. Radders

Radders Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    what do you mean by grooves, and are they no longer smooth and have a ruff finish?

6. arcticsilver997

arcticsilver997 Karting
    Owner

Oct 27, 2007
    Northern California

So that would be over 20K to get everything replaced?

7. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I believe the pads are about $1500 - $1800 per axle and the rotors are about $16K a set. I'm pretty sure about the pad prices but I may be wrong about the rotors so don't quote me on those.

8. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    I heard the CC brakes on the 430 are around $1800 for pads on the front and same for the back labor included. So $3,600 for the pads. Rotors are $4k a piece...OUCH!

FNA says that the disk can handle 3 pad changes before replacement of the dsik if the disk requires to be replaced. Not much help there

Mike

9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I think your worrying about nothing.

The CCM discs are designed to last both ON and OFF the track.

Its probably the first time they've ever had a proper workout and now look normal :)

10. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    The rotors were mirror smooth before, but there are now grooves like on a phonograph record. The same thing happens to the steel rotors on the 360. I though carbon ceramic rotors are much tougher so I'm surprised to see it.

Has anyone tracked the CS and noticed how long the brakes last?

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The small pin hole style grooves are normal. I've never seen CCM discs without them (except when brand new). Honestly dont worry, its normal!

12. Radders

Radders Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    yes me.

trust me you will have to really use these brakes hard for a huge number of miles before you need to worry. I am guessing they have gone like this as it is the first hard braking you have done. the disks wear more during cold use (road) and wear less during track use (hot).

how worn are your pads and if they are low check if they are starting to crumble, break up or show signs of cracking? any of these are not good and can reduce the life of the disk.

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    +1

If the pads are very low the wear indicator could damage the discs but other than that they'll last basically forever...

14. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    it's my understanding that the CC rotors do not "wear out" like a steel rotor. rather they wear as a function of heat cycles. someone out there i'm sure knows more than i do on this topic. the stradale computer keeps track of the heat cycles and calculates a "brake rotor wear percentage" that you can see with the appropriate diagnostic tools. i have not heard before that you have to replace the CC rotors after x number of pad changes?? i hope this is not correct. anybody know more on this? just as a data point, i have 15,000 miles (no track days) on each of my stradales and the brake rotor wear is 9 percent on one and 13 percent on the other. as an aside, the clutch wear was 17 percent and 16 percent, respectively.

not sure of CC replacement costs, but i've also heard about $5K per rotor. i've also heard that if you happen to damage one rotor, ferrari strongly recommends that you replace rotors in pairs. maybe they recommend this to make more money :) but the way it was told to me was that it was for braking consistency and safety reasons. i guess this makes sense. any thoughts?

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Not just recommends they be replaced in pairs they WONT SELL you a single disc!

16. arcticsilver997

arcticsilver997 Karting
    Owner

Oct 27, 2007
    Northern California
    I guess you'll have a very expensive paperweight/ centerpiece/ clock...

17. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Discs should last longer then the car, trackdays or not. Scud´s discs will last for the cars lifetime. Hopefully CS´s discs are close to the same quality. However make sure the pads are not finished. Happened to my friend after one heavy day on track and ha had to replace all discs as well. This was steal on a 360 though.

18. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny

Ouch........20K.......that is money for one familycar.

19. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    #19 vm3, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    Looks like a pebble got in there somehow?

I hope Watt isnt following this thread.....He will consider your CS a "Story Car" (Just kidding)

21. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    All four rotors are like this after the one track day. They were smooth before.

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Agreed, that looks like a foreign object got lodged in there. Did you go off track at any point into the kitty-litter or dirt?

23. Mark from Ork

Mark from Ork Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    Miami Biatch
    That is minor minor brake wear.

I thought they were going to look etched, like a real phonograph, like how rotors looks when driven with pads that have worn down too far.

Just take it to Midas, they'll polish em up for you.

24. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark

I hope your joking about Midas!!!!

25. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark