TR Wheel noise...help with diagnostic.... | FerrariChat

TR Wheel noise...help with diagnostic....

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ASG 86TR, Apr 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I have been hearing this noise when I am coasting or at constant throttle from one of the left wheels. If I am close to a Jersey barrier It really accentuates the noise. It is a noise that that changes with speed (faster the wheel spins the faster the noise, etc...) The sound is almost like a slight rubbing noise for a sec until the wheel spins back around to that same spot again. Almost like a shhh shhh shhh shhh.... In the past I have heard something similar and tightened the wheel nut and it went away...no such luck...Do I need to jack the wheel up and spin it to see if I can hear it...any clue what it could be?
    Adam

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Wheel bearing would be my guess -- or a way outta whack brake disc. Do you have excessive brake dust on one wheel?

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    any pulse in your brake pedal? yes=warped rotor
    does it go away with a light application of the brakes? yes=warped rotor

the "shhh shhh shhh shhh.... " sounds like a brake dragging on a warped rotor. is it anywhere near once per rotation of the tire (low speed)?

it could also be an overheated pad disintegrating (against an overheated & warped rotor) - you should check it before potential metal to metal damage occurs.

a bearing will typically give a more constant rumbling to grinding sound that changes pitch with speed. (typically - 'only' with a change of speed)

if you determine it is a warped rotor - it may not be a problem unless it is detrimental to your braking needs. a quick wheel off check on a lift can confirm the 'issue'.

it doesn't sound serious - but it warrants a check ASAP.

rgds,
    Vince

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I too would say it's a wheel bearing but then again Vinceno does have a point. Any wheel bearings I had going bad from other cars made more of a whoop, whoop noise and you could hear it pretty clearly.

Just curious, can the TR and the 512 TR wheel bearings be repacked? Or is it a seal item?

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Had a right rear bearing done last year at my local F pimp $2500.00 Sealed bearing. They mentioned something about it being in " reverse " to a normal car, so the whole hub has to come off to service it.

Poster,

When my wheel bearing was going out, it sounded like a low buzzing sound and was continous.

This sounds like one of the parking brake shoes has come off the retaining springs and is rubbing on the back of the disc. I had this happen a couple of years ago.
    The spring hold down broke and the shoe flipped forward rubbing the disc. The shoes was still connected to the tensioner spring and cable so it functioned just fine. I took it apart, new hold down springs and noise gone.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

6. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    I will jack the front and then the rears up and spin the wheels to see if I locate the one that is making the noise...then remove the wheels and go in for a deeper look. It would be nice if it was a rotor issue....and after tracking the car I never replaced the rotors and they just could be at the end of their life. I have a Sat project now.

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Any chance you have the old bearing & can get an SKF(?) PN off of it?
    Rgds,
    Vince

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    did it not change pitch with road speed?
    Rgds,
    Vince

9. mouser57

mouser57 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2008
    Alberta

Rear Stub Axle Bearing Part Numbers:

Starting from car number 75995
    Inner bearing (Ferrari) part number 125934
    Outer bearing (Ferrari) part number 125935

Starting from car number 75997
    Inner bearing (Ferrari) part number 144805
    Outer bearing (Ferrari) part number 144807

10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Sorry, I didn't even think of looking at the old bearing. I think my local F dealer is really expensive....but I do trust them and they do good work.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

11. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I think it did rise in pitch with speed. It was like a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz kinda sound.

Actually, I thought at first, it was the brake shoe again. I pulled the hub at least five times to position and check the pad. I finally "blue dyed" the shoes to see where it was rubbing. I pulled the hub and no rub lines. I thought " uhhh ohhh...while I had the car on jack stands with the wheels and discs off, I started the car, put into gear and let it run. I then went to the back of the car and could hear the crunch crunch sound from the right rear only. Unfortunately, this was a job beyond me.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

12. mouser57

mouser57 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2008
    Alberta
    I had an 84 Vette before with a noise on load and none on coast, it ended up being the crown gear bearing on one side, cause a misalignment on the gearset causing uneven wear, needed replacement

13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Since Fcar likely sources these bearings 'off the shelf' from a manufacturer such as SKF - I was hoping for then original manufacturer & PN. Then we can bypass the Fcar markup. Thanks though for taking the time to look them up.

Sincerely,
    Vince

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    the crown gear is a tapered bearing which carries a thrust load with engine torque whereas the outer wheel bearings do not. hence the noise on load. that test was a good way to isolate a bad inner verses outer bearing in an axel.
    Rgds,
    Vince

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz = high speed (crunch crunch)

love these descriptions - I can hear it as we write.

Rgds,
    Vince

16. mouser57

mouser57 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2008
    Alberta
    #16 mouser57, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. mouser57

mouser57 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2008
    Alberta
    (SKF Bearing for Ferrari)
    95892311 Sealed double ball rear axle bearing 37X72X23 Ferrari 250/330
    95890305 Double ball bearing 32X65X25 Ferrari 246/ 250
    10558440 Clutch release bearing Testarossa TO SN 80085
    181264 CAM belt tensioner bearing 360
    155226 Clutch release bearing 1993 THRU 1995 Ferrari 348 TB/S
    136957 Clutch shaft double ball bearing 348
    116750 CAM Belt tensioner bearing Testarossa
    112799 Front wheel bearing 288/328/ Testarossa
    105206 CAM Belt tensioner bearing 308/288/328/BOXER/F40
    105142 Caged roller bearing
    103990 Roller bearing

18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    GREAT info - Thanks!

the 75usd or so for the bearing itself is much better than the 2,500 cost with labor. Shamile's cost likely included other parts as well.

I'll bookmark this post for sure.

Thanks again,
    Vince

19. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Rear wheel bearing <> Front wheel bearing.

20. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    mouser57- could you kindly add the skf numbers to the TR cross reference thread- thanks

21. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Those are not SKF numbers, they are Ferrari part numbers.

22. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The TR front wheel bearings can easily be repacked. They are seal on one side only, but the bearing can be disassemble with the seal in place. The rear bearings are inexpensive, fully sealed and should be replaced.

The rear bearings are simple to replace and much less expensive than the fronts. I would think $2500 for Shamile's car must have included something else, because I did the whole job in no time at all.

John

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

As I remember, this was only for the bearing job. I will pull my bill and list what was done for information for the forum.

They did pull the hub carrier and had to do the bearing on the bench.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

24. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

How about this sound...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The sound of the money leaving my wallet :D

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

25. mouser57

mouser57 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2008
    Alberta
    #25 mouser57, Apr 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have all the bearing numbers and seals for most models. They are Timken's, but call your parts store and give them the number and their books should give you the SKF number.
    Note: Timken and SKF seem to be the only manufaurer that makes Taper Roller bearings for the Ferrari's
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login