How long does Ferrari generally supply OEM parts for discontinued models? | FerrariChat

How long does Ferrari generally supply OEM parts for discontinued models?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Desslar, Apr 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Desslar

Desslar Rookie

Apr 11, 2008
    Hi, sort of a general question here. Does anyone know what Ferrari's general policy is for the length of time they supply parts for discontinued models? For example, can you still get brand new OEM engine parts for the 360? (F355? 348?) I read somewhere that Ferrari usually stops supplying parts for models more than 10 years old, but don't know how credible that is. Also, how quickly can one get parts from Ferrari for those older models?

Kind of a nitpicky question I know, but thanks in advance if anyone has any idea.

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Historicly, Ferrari has continued to directly supply parts for 10 years after a model goes out of production. Then they sell their remaining end-of-life inventory to Maranello Concesionaires in the UK (aka Ferrari.uk) who will continue to supply orders from that inventory, and Maranello has the right to order additional parts from the original suppliers built to Ferrari's specs. When Maranello's Jeff Howe was active in Fchat, he once mentioned that they were still sorting out the 52 TONS of 308 inventory they'd acquired! Last I heard, Maranello still had several new 308 & 328 motors w/transmissions still in the crate. You can still get engine parts for Testarossas, 512 BBs, Dinos & the 400 series from Maranello!!!

The 308 is a good example. When I bought my car in 2000, Just about every part was still in stock at Maranello. However, some things have now run out. However, some reproductions of high demand parts like turn signals & distributor caps are reappearing on the market. Your mileage may vary: some of the repros are very good, likely are coming from the original suppliers, & others are, shall we say, less good.

Last I heard, still Ferrari had NOT transferred the 348 inventory to Maranello. For some reason they seemed to be holding onto it & supplying parts directly via their FNA network.

For the really old (early '70s & earlier) vintage cars, Ferrari has now started the Ferrari Classiche program which they say will remanufacture parts for a price. Even before this program, well connected dealers & service shops have been able to pursuade Ferrari to make things like new heads for vintage cars.

I know of no other manufacturer who supplies & provides service for their cars as long as Ferrari does. Possibly companies like Mercedes, Rolls, & maybe Porsche do something similar, but no US or Japanese company that I'm aware of.

3. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know it's not really relevant but as another example I have never had a problem getting parts for my 20 year old Harley. I currently need a turn signal flasher which is part number 68543-64. The 64 at the end is the year of introduction. I know I have obtained some parts with a year in the 40s on this bike. I generally do my own work but have been impressed with how the local dealer is willing to do anything with the bike, regardless of age.

In contrast, I have found that American dealers and Japanese dealers will show you the door once the vehicle is over ten years old.

Seamus

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Porsche has a very good record for that.

And, as far as Ferrari, if you have a dealer service it, they'll source parts for you. My Dino being a perfect example. The dealer found parts I couldn't find, and stocked many of the bearings required for gear box rebuilds, etc.

DM

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I think that it's just a matter of semantics. Doesn't Chevrolet have a licensing program for manufacturers to make parts that meet OEM specs for vintage cars like Corvettes, Camaros, Chevrolets, etc, etc? You may not actually buy the part from the Chevy dealership, but you can order these OEM licensed and approved parts from any number of companies like Danchuk and Paragon Parts.

6. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Just get your Ferrari original parts from the FerrariChat sponsor www.ricambiamerica.com its a lot easier then dealing with the official Ferrrari dealer network.

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

That's because US and Japanese cars are like disposible razors.

My local F pimp ( Central Florida Ferrari ) told me that Ferrari draws the line at 10 years. I've only been able to get " service " parts from the dealer. Say I want some interior part....gotta look for it, Ferrari won't carry it.

Ricambi is also at the mercy of what Ferrari makes. I've tried to get some interior parts from them but they were told NLA from Ferrari.

" NLA " ....no longer available.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

8. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    yes; and I remember the frightening weeks and months during 1998 - or was it 99 ?- when the transfer from Italy to the UK took place. Not quite sure when it was exactly but anyway; You got plain NOTHING for weeks and months. I learned this, when I wanted to order some bits for my future winter 98/99 projects. Luckily I haven't had a problem back then and didn't need any urgent parts.

BTW; I had my first parts business this week with Ferrari UK since the parts link on the Owner's site has disappeared. I just order from them directly now, and have to say it worked perfectly. Nice folks, cooperative - they sent me some photos because a part no. was not quite clear - and fast. Ordered on Tuesday, received the parts on Thursday ( UK -> Germany ) at fair shipping costs.

What's interesting; on their invoices / receipts is now imprinted the 'Genuine Ferrari Classic' label which also can be found on the Owner's Site.
    So I think, latest rumours, that Maranello Concessionaires will quit parts supply for classic cars, are unfounded.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

9. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    By law, in the USA, manufacturers must make parts available for 7 years. GM has licensing agreements with aftermarket manufacturers who make parts for classics (Cameros, 55-57, etc.). If your pockets are deep enough, MB will make parts for your prewar 540k Benz. BMW still makes or sources parts for the classic 2002 model. It all depends on the manufacturer if they either support older models or allow licensing for reproductions.

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    but only for the 356, 911 cars and derivates. Transaxle car parts supply isn't covered yet by the Porsche Classic division.

Best Regards from Germany

P.S.: I really look forward to their new factory museum.

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Shamile,
    You're right, they're NLA now. But TR & 308 interior parts were readily available back in 2000 & 2001 when I bought my 308. Since then the end-of-life inventory transferred to Ferrari.uk has been exhausted on a lot of items, mostly in the last couple of years. Still, for the 308 that was last built in '85, almost all parts were available up until 2005, & I suspect that TR parts were also. 20 years isn't shabby compared to US & Japanese marques.