Ferrari's California Connection | FerrariChat

Ferrari's California Connection

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ExcelsiorZ, Apr 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I was wondering how important California has been, historically, to Ferrari, both as a market and as a place where Ferrari supporters have helped Ferrari over the years. Has California been, historically, the largest single market for Ferrari?

2. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    250 GT California Spyder. Nuff said.

3. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I don't know the answer, but can tell you that, in the early days, Luigi Chinetti was the sole licensed importer. As you know, he was on the East Coast. There was a procession of California dealers, including Otto Zipper and Eleanor von Neumann (Ferrari Reps of Ca). I think one or both were sub-licensees. Then Bill Harrah got the Western distributorship and he licensed a number of dealers. Because Chinetti was the ONLY dealer for a number of years, my gut feeling is that Ferrari's presence was much stronger in the East, originally. Several people in Ca. were active in bringing in used cars (I started in 1959) partly because there seemed to be a market, although very slim. Recently, Piero Ferrari confirmed to me the the US is still their biggest market, but I didn't think to ask about Ca. Hope this sheds a bit of light---I'll be interested to see any other replies.

4. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't remember the exact number but the answer is yes.