HONDA Serious About F1 Test For Danica Patrick | FerrariChat

HONDA Serious About F1 Test For Danica Patrick

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, May 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (from autosport)

IndyCar race winner Danica Patrick has set her sights on a Formula One test, with Honda Racing confirming they would be interested in running the Andretti-Green Racing driver.

Patrick's maiden victory at Motegi has prompted fresh speculation about her future, with Honda being an obvious candidate to consider her because the Japanese manufacturer supply her engines.

Speaking to this week's Autosport, Patrick confirmed that she was interested in a run in an F1 car, but only if it was a serious test.

"Every driver would love to drive a Formula One car at some point in their life, so yeah," she said. "I don't think there's anything wrong with a real, proper test.

"I was asked to do a demonstration lap at Indy in 2005, and I said, 'No way. You're making me a show. That's embarrassing.' But I would say that a real test is absolutely something I would do."

Honda Racing F1 CEO Nick Fry has admitted that his team would seriously consider running Patrick for a test, although made it clear no discussions have taken place about the matter.

"We haven't instigated anything, but if Danica wanted to be test driver then we'd be more than happy to talk about

2. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Anyone can test, they use to test monkeys in spacecraft in the early days. So I guess they can let Danica go for a drive.

3. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Zing!!!

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    She wins one race, and she gets a test? Wow.

CW

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Weight limits in F1 are combined driver and car, right? Still, being able to put the forty or so pounds of depleted uranium where you want it in the car might give them an advantage...

6. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Some people don't win a crap and get a test, what's new?

7. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    So let her drive the bunny eared thing around a circuit a few times, good PR stunt anyways, might get a few more US people paying a bit of attention to F1. I can't legitimately see her ever getting a race seat based on talent tho.

8. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    where's Casey Putsch in all this? He needs to protest!

9. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Better get some spares ready...

10. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

Yeah, he's got more wins than Danica!

11. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    While there has been a trend moving away from pay to play drivers (thank god!), it wouldn't be the first time a driver's got a ride based on something other than talent. That being said I doubt she'll ever do anything other than test in F1. There are too many younger, better drivers than her in GP2 and other ranks including the IRL right now, to ignore.

12. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    +1, its just good PR for Honda

13. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    They let Marco test the Honda car and he is worse than Danica, why not.

14. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Pure PR move. Let her drive the car around the track and pay her a few bucks and get $$millions$$ in brand awareness in return. Sounds like a marketer's dream PR stunt.

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    What happened to our friend in the 308?

16. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Last I heard he was in contract negotiations to drive for the Scuderia next year :rolleyes:

17. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Danica is a pretty face, and not too shabby behind the wheel.. F1 would really benefit in the USA by giving the Americans someone to watch that is exciting. i think its a fantastic idea

18. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    With Danica in F1, we would definitely get our Grand Prix back.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Maybe after they sign her, she can do a Vanity Fair photoshoot showing her new "tramp stamp" tatoo of the Honda logo on her backside. That alone must be worth several millions in sponsorship money, don't you think?

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Sarah Fisher got to test the McLaren a few years back and she never won a race other than that Toyota Atlantic stuff. Talk about going straight to the top for a test vs. Danica going to Honda, which is junk for yet another year.

21. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    how about letting her drive for Super Aguri (Honda) ? They can't do any worse.. right?

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Does that team even exist anymore?

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    She can test all she wants. She'll never get a super license.
    Bernie trusts no-one shorter than himself.

24. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Like hell he will protest............he's already scheduled his sex-change operation!

25. ferraridude615

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    To quote Bernie E regarding Danica "You know, I've got one of these wonderful ideas that women should be all dressed in white like all the other domestic appliances."

Might be a while before we see a women in F1 if that point of view is prevalent throughout the paddock. Then again, Bernie could just be joking.