Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799 | FerrariChat

Story of 250 GT Cabriolet s/n 0799

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SonomaRik, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #1 SonomaRik, May 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137674618&postcount=15

I put the above ad copied from the last issue of Cavallino into a thread for an attempt to enlist some discussion on what someone might know about the car in question [see below].

Decided to start a different thread rather than hijack someone elses subject. I've done searches and cannot find it in Fchat.

SO: Here's the ad, and the question: Can anyone shed some light on this rather strange, real, ad? [PS, 'oldtimer car' ... hmmmm, guy should have selected a different attorney IMO ]

rik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Stolen 15 years ago?

They apparently know where it is or recently was.

Statute of limitations?

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I don't think there is one, on theft like this, there was a Corvette returned after 25 years or more, but it wasn't an international case....this will be interesting.

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Maybe the guy last drove it in 1993, and just noticed it was missing....

Doh!

Mike in Kuwait

5. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    "Honey - have you seen the Ferrari? I could swear it was in the garage in the last decade or so..."

:)

Jedi

6. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Imagine being able to own so many cars that you wouldn't realize one was missing.

Or, maybe he was just released from the Federal Pen. LOL!

7. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There was a nice 330 posted a while back that had all its main chassis removed, supposedly to construct another car onto, leaving a rather nice (but otherwise useless) 330 body behind. Someone wouldnt have to do quite so much constructing if they just happened to have a nice body laying around. Unless there were telltale stamps or marks in the body to tie it to its chassis, that car may never be found. Im not suggesting anyone did anything like that with that particular 330, just thats its possible to do something "like" that with those older cars.

8. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Guess they found out only now where the car is at the moment ("reported to be in the custody of a Ferrari collector...") and decided to turn on the heat!

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    So you're saying this ad appeared in the latest issue of Cavallino...?

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Yes. pg 67. I ripped off the bottom, scanned it and wanted to post it to get info. Seems almost fake, but Cavallino would have tons of egg on face to have printed it....HEY, hope this isn't an April fool's joke...IF SO, I'm cancelling my subscription. :(

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I've just emailed the Mr. 'Weber' [perhaps he's missing a carb] requesting truthfulness or ?

guess I could have been had after all: April joke? IF I'm had, I'm changing my avitar accordingly

-- update : Called Cavallino and they believe it's a true ad....so, my avitar remains intact.

12. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    You know we'll hold you to that Rick...

And, we're waiting with bated breath for the response...

Mike in Kuwait

13. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Dang,

I think we posted at the same time...so, no change....

Mike in Kuwait...

14. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    My wife thinks the car's original owner died, and the heirs are now settling the estate, and have realized the car isn't where it should be, and believe it to have been stolen from the estate....

Maybe....?!?!?!

Mike in Kuwait

15. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I'd be suspicious that it's a scam based on an older car being legally sold to the U.S., but without all of the proper paperwork...and someone in Europe has figured out that they can make it painful for the current owner to keep the car.

Get a settlement via some bad publicity (this ad, anyone), and the rich collector pays to make the problem go away.

Anyway, Marbella (Puerto Banús) is quite the resort town. A Swiss citizen vacationing there in her silver Ferrari 250 would most certainly notice it missing...and promptly.

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    :grin: I had better watch my postings more carefully and watch how I pre-advertise my pennance

dunno. They must be worth a ton if someone somehow remembered that fifteen years later...g'pa had a car, didn't he?

SOMEONE should know this serial number....I mean there are some guys on here that can quote the font on serial numbers let alone know the history of all these 'oldtimer cars' [having a attorney say that might be a clue as to how they lost it..... they apparently don't know what it is, just that it's worth some $$$$ ] -- still think I'm being duped...MR. WEBER, toooo suspect if one asks me...

gawd, feel a new avitar....jack ass on a badge?

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Is Phil Spector involved??? :D

That's pretty tangental (the story of his "Lost" Shelby Cobra)....never mind.

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Is April/ May out yet?

20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i/m not going to specualte, but i find it hard to believe that it is "impossible" for a stolen car to considered legit in the us and stolen elsewhere.

today, computers are being used, but in the past, the door for fraud were wide open.

21. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    My wife thinks the car's original owner died, and the heirs are now settling the estate, and have realized the car isn't where it should be, and believe it to have been stolen from the estate....

This happens a lot. I do work as a classic car appraiser and get called in when the collector dies. The wife usually has no idea what the guy has and where it is or if it's worth anything. A lot of times the guys "friends" or body shop runs off with the car or in one case several cars. The worst are some of thes packrat type guys with warehouses. It is amazing what some one with money and space can collect in a lifetime.

No statute of limitations on theft if the guy did not take the insurance payment he can claim the car. Several AC Cobras have been repaitriated to thier owners this way, one was stolen in 1968 and put up for auction several years ago. Consigner was busted and found to have several other AC Corbras that were stolen.

If the car is in Japan the owner is SOL as Japan will not honor US law on this.

22. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    As per the website:
    Greenwich Concours d'Elegance, Greenwich, Connecticut on June 5, 2005
    Compiled by Jarrett Rothmeier

S/N Model Year Exterior Color Interior Color Steering Plates F1 Owner

0355AL 375 America 1954 Green-dark red roof dark red LHD Jack E. Thomas

0799GT 250PF Cabriolet 1958 Silver bordeaux LHD Barney Hallingby

If they know where it is and who is the owner, why cant they claim the car? There was a recent story on TV about a 65 mustang which was stolen, original owner came and got it 40+ years later even though the current owner had owned it since 67.

James in Denver

23. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I don't think US law is going to matter one hill of beans since the car was stolen in Spain from a Swiss citizen...

24. mseals

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I think it will be VERY interesting to see how this one shakes out... I hope we find out.

Mike in Kuwait

25. GENERAL LEE

GENERAL LEE Karting

Nov 27, 2006
    Oklahoma
    LOL, nice Mike. Sadly, the chances of that car ever returning are slim. I hope the theif likes staring at it, because he/she could never take it anywhere unless it's overseas now.