FChatters at the Canadian GP | FerrariChat

FChatters at the Canadian GP

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, May 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    With no USGP this year, I expect more of us going to Montreal. Short of organizing an official FChat get-together, how about if everybody going uses this thread to post where they're going or what they're doing.

So let me start first:

We'll arrive on Friday and stay near Crescent street and its F1 party. Going to the track on Saturday, planning on being all over the place (somebody said on here the Canadians don't allow that, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed) and on Sunday I got some cheapo seats. Which reminds me, that I'm still waiting for my tix. Darn.

We'll spend the week after in Quebec for the 400 years celebration and the following weekend at Mont Tremblant, where there is their season opening race. Hoping for some Ferraris to show up.

PS: Send me a PM if you want to hook up somewhere. Would be nice to have a 1 on 1 chat at the track on Saturday.

2. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Am I the only one going to Montreal? Can't be.

3. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No I think there are others going. But at the track in Montreal they do not allow you to access much of the track that you dont have tickets for. Also because of the way they built the track with hills and stands around it here and there, it is very hard to see any of the track unless you are in a stand. I used to go quite often until they pulled these stunts so I dont go there much anymore. The Challenge races at Mont Tremblant are on the July 18-20 weekend and are lots of fun. That area of Quebec is a great site. Also the week before Mont Tremblant the Ferrari of NA concours is in Toronto and will be great.

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Even on Saturday?

5. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Cant remember for sure but I think so.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'll be going this year and doing it again in the Mondial, just to see if I can do it without as much drama as last year's trip.

I'll be staying with a friend and attending practice on Friday as well as qualifications on Sat. However I think that on Sunday I will not be going to the track for the race but to a private viewing.

Anyone else in New England heading up on Thursday that would like to form a caravan?

Birdman

7. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    A large group of the Mid Atlantic guys are planning on driving our cars up there. I might have to bail out. I hear it is quite the event.

8. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Andreas, I will be there. GS 34. You? You were dead on, we are going because Indy is off the calendar. It would be great to meet up! Let me know.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    GS33, sounds nearby, but it isn't.

Send me a PM pls with your cell phone. I'll give you a buzz over the weekend. Maybe we can hook up somewhere.

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    We are working on a group from New England to head up as well. Maybe we can join ranks?

11. f1flagger

f1flagger Karting

Oct 21, 2005
    Summerville, SC
    Not much of a chatter, and not (yet) an owner, but this'll be my 15th Canadian GP and my girlfriend's 10th. We don't yet know which posts we'll get but I'm thirsty for a proper pint at Hurley's.

12. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Anything interesting happened in your section of the track any previous years?

13. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'll be there, Thursday to Monday

14. f1flagger

f1flagger Karting

Oct 21, 2005
    Summerville, SC
    At my second event we collected Eddie Irvine & his Jordan during qualifying and to get away from photographers he climbed onto the platform I was on. We were chatting in between cars and since I was the Communicator for that session he asked "who had pole?". I told him they didn't give us times over the net, and asked him when he was going to get a pole. He said "I need the car, don't I?", look where he landed after that! A couple of years ago I put Montiero back into the race after he tangled with Sutil, and I've had some great races while blue flagging... then again I've had some "terrible" races while blue flagging. I only put it in quotes because when you can be less than 4 feet from these cars at speed it's never a bad day.

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'll be there, am going again with our FChat overlord, Rob. We arrive late Friday afternoon, and as yet we have NO plans other that qualifying on Saturday and the race on Sunday.

16. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I will be there with my entire family. 8th time for me in the last 12 years. Can't wait - hope to meet some of you.
    Kevin S.
    Orchard Park, NY

17. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'll be there for my 21st Canadian GP. Roaming the grounds just doesn't work anymore, it was great when it did !

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What do you mean by that? Can you please be more specific?

19. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sure. With general admin tickets you used to be able to just about completely roam around the track and see the cars from different vantage points. It was really a lot of fun. Now, you are granted access to different areas of the track dependant on if you have a seat in that area - if not, no go. There are only a few places I know of now that you 1) can get to and 2) see something by just standing there without going into to the stands. I think the hairpin is probably the best area for standing & watching but that's really about it. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions as I'd be glad to give an opinion.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, I heard that before and quite frankly this no different than from any other GP. We might feel the effect of it a bit more in Canada because the island basically limits access to one or two points.

Anyhow, my questions are:

- Is that also true for Saturday's qualifying or just for race day? At other tracks you can walk around freely on Saturday.
    - I have now tickets for GS 33 (the "chicane" after the Senna S), so what options do I have left? Particularly can I go to the Senna S and the infield (area behind the s/f grandstands)?
    - Is access to the 2nd pit area (at the North East end of the track behind the hairpin) now off limits for me? That was always a cool area to hang with the guys from the support races

And unrelated to these questions:

What other races will there be other than F1? Is the Challenge cup gone? What's left?

21. Desperado

Desperado Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2007
    Pittsburgh/Djibouti
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What I mentioned about access to differet point is the same all weekend. It's not different from Friday, Saturday or Sunday - all is the same.
    From the Senna S area there are a few different places to see the cars. From there you will have acces to the "upper" part of the track to which access is monitored usually. Access to the hairpin area is usually not checked (i.e. you don't have to have a ticket in the hairpin area to get there>
    You will be able to go to the 2nd pit area - no problem there. Yep great place to hang out for sure !

I'm not positive of this years venue but they susally have formula BMW and certainly the Ferriari challenge race as support. I don't remeber ever seeing the Porche cup races in Montreal like in the Euro races.

I hope this helps !

22. Forza355

Forza355 Formula 3

Jan 19, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Both of those series will be back in Montreal this year.

And so will I.

:D

23. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    The wife & I will be there on Thursday June 5th- Monday the 9th. Am staying someplace called the Auberge Royal Versailles.

Got tix for Fri-Sun in the Gold 1-2 section.

Don't know any more than that except I'm flying in from Ca. not driving the F-car (sigh).

PM me if anyone wants to hook up for an adult beverage or 2.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It sure does, thank you!

I have an invitation to visit a special sponsors tent set up just South of the s/f grandstands on the inside of the track. That's what I worry the most, that my ticket won't let me go there. I guess there is only one way to find out...:(

Delighted about seeing the Challenge series again. :)

25. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    I'll be there fri-mon with my wife, staying between peel and crescent. will be at the track fri afternoon, sat, sun. have tickets in grandstand 12. There will be many mid-atlantic guys there. we get together on sunday night at Jardin Nelson in the Old Port. Get in touch with lashss for reservations. our thread is here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109506&highlight=canada

sorry, that is an old link. can't find this years, but i think it all remains pretty much the same.