Bondurant | FerrariChat

Bondurant

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Texas Forever, Feb 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All, I'm going to be taking the Advanced Road Racing school next week. We be driving the Vettes on on 1.6 mile course. Do you have any tips about the course and the class you'd like to pass on to me? I can't seem to find a decent tract map. Also if you want me to say howdy to any instructors, just holler.

Dale

2. vdb

vdb Karting

Jun 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Virgil DiBiase
    I have done this course 3 times. Has been several years though...if you haven't done this before, be ready for boot camp! The best, most intense 3 days of training imaginable. Have fun!

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. I did the Skippy school in November where we drove the MX-5 cars and worked on trailing braking oversteer. I guess with these cars, we'll be working on trailing throttle oversteer. :)

Dale

4. vdb

vdb Karting

Jun 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Virgil DiBiase
    When I did it we used Mustang Cobras. But it is not about the cars...I do remember having to trail brake nearly all the way to the apex...those cars had the most severe under steer I had ever experienced.
    The tracks are great. safe, technical, easy to learn. Very little elevation changes.
    Dont know who is instructing now, but when I was last there Buudy Rice, Mike Fitzgerald, Darren Law, Terry Borcheler were there...great group! I'm hoping to go back soon...

5. G Rides

G Rides Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    SLO, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary T King
    I just signed up for the Bondurant Grand Prix Road Racing Four Day Course, 6/2/08 - 6/5/08. What were your impressions of the school? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Gary

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Take a cool suit. No, really. By June, it will be hot.

Are you going to be driving the C6s or the formula cars? I drove the C6, and it was a hoot. The courses are a bit tight, but fun.

Compared to the Skippy schools, you will get lots of seat time at Bondurant. By the third day, they let you drive all you want.

Have fun.

Dale

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Firebird Raceway?

I had a map somewhere, when we stopped by in 2004.........

8. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I live about 3 or 4 miles from the track if anyone has any questions or needs any information.

9. G Rides

G Rides Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    SLO, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary T King
    It's C6s for the first three days and the Formula car for the last. I've heard that sometimes they'll let you out on the shifter carts at the end of the day so, I'm hoping that works out and I have enough energy left to take them up on it. Thanks for the input.

Gary

10. G Rides

G Rides Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    SLO, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary T King
    Sending you pm, I'm sure I'll need a cold drink or two while out there.

Gary

11. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I can probably help you out with that. Contact me when the dates get closer.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you see Bob, tell "Alligator Arms" he knows how to accept drinks with the very best of 'em. ;)

13. MJDrive

MJDrive Karting

Mar 26, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Ryan Johnson
    REALLY????

What happened to the good old days of working on going fast?

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Actually, my current goal is to be like Mahatma Junior Johnson who reportedly said, "It's simple. Floor it. Turn left. Hang on."

Dale

15. MJDrive

MJDrive Karting

Mar 26, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Ryan Johnson
    Nice one! I like that!!

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Another one you might like, that I got from Lolaman, is supposedly from Fanigo. When asked why he won so much, he said, "More gas. Less brakes."

Dale

17. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    The second one is the hard part... :D

18. G Rides

G Rides Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    SLO, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary T King
    About five more days till I go, can't wait!!!!

Gary

19. G Rides

G Rides Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    SLO, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary T King
    So the school was amazing and I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in sharpening their driving skills. If anyone has questions about the school ask away as I'm very happy with the whole experience. Also I want to thank Under PSI for letting me know about the Cars-N-Coffee in Scottsdale, I went and met some nice people and saw some nice cars.

Gary

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tell us more. Which cars did you run on which tracks? What where your instuctors names?

Dale

PS How was your report card? IIRC, I got a 3.9, which was the highest in our group.

21. G Rides

G Rides Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    SLO, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary T King
    #21 G Rides, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You got a 3.9, wow!! I scored a 3.6 and was told that was the highest in my group and that around a 2.2 was average and they very rarely score over a 4.0 with a 5.0 being the highest, you obviously did an amazing job there Dale.

For the first three days we had brand new 2008 C6 Vettes, Yellow, with the newer LS3 engine which ran very strong but the traction control was enabled. My car only had about 350 miles on it at the start of the event and it was part of a brand new fleet, they weren't even decaled yet. First day we only drove on the big parking lot in front of the main building (Picture with lots of cones and pavement), that day we pretty much just practiced heel-toe work. First day we spent lots of time in the class room and toured the facilities with Mike Speck (not sure I spelled that right but he was a very cool very enthusiastic guy). Probably the most memorable part of the first day and possibly the whole school was the van ride out on the track (full size Chevy van seen in the picture with Cadillac Skid Cars in foreground). Our groups filled two vans, we were told we were going to be shown around the track, have it broken down, talk about the line, braking points, etc... Pretty much as soon as the vans pulled on to the track the instructors drove them FLAT OUT! Yeah, wasn't expecting that but it was alot of fun, you can drive those vans pretty hard if you know what you're doing.

Second day we got out on to the main track and started with just driving the Maricopa Oval for a while, later that day they had us drive the Carousel Oval and around the Lake Loop with no Maricopa Oval, we also drove the skid cars that day back in that front parking lot the beginning of the day, those are very fun.

Third Day we drove the whole main track which allowed you to carry much more speed into a section after the Maricopa Oval that has a couple a elevation changes which really un-weight the Vettes and made it tough to navigate the upcoming turns at speed, I didn't go off track but it was really challenging, which I like, the instructors made it look effortless when they drove through it twice as fast as most of us. We also practiced two rolling starts, two wide led by the pace car, pace car pulls into pit lane, green flag waves and it was hammer down to the first turns and then you backed out, re grouped and did it again, SO FUN! We also practiced a re-start, single file, wait for the green flag to drop again and just go for it.

Fourth day was all Formula Ford open wheel Grand Prix Car. No traction control, ABS, just raw car and man are those things fun. Started with those just in the Maricopa Oval again then went to full track. From days two through four we probably averaged close to five hours of track time per day. The instructors really encourage you to challenge yourself and want you to drive, they treat you like close friends and want to make sure your having fun, are learning and that you have everything you need. My front and rear driver side tires on the Vette starting to look a little rough and was low on gas, I told my instructor and he had a mechanic come over and grab my car who returned within just a few minutes with two new tires and full tank of gas. Some of the lapping sessions seem so long that I personally needed to pull into the pits every now and then to gather my thoughts of how to drive better and just have a little break, there was always someone there in the pits to check on you make sure you're ok and see if you needed anything. I usually wanted some cold water when I pulled in and the guys there would bring some to you, what a treat as you get hot and just want to sit and relax for a minute with out having to re-do your belts, in the Vette buckling back in is not that big of a deal but, the Grand Prix cars is a bit of a process to get situated and buckled back in.

Everyday for lunch they drove us to this Jason's Deli which had great food and we were just told to order what ever we wanted and it was paid for as part of the class. The end of the fourth day we received some really nice plaques, diplomas and (framed pictures if you ordered those). I ordered the full video and picture package and should receive about an hour of in-car video on the track in the Vette and a bunch of digital photographs.

I attached some pictures, one of Bob and myself, my Vette and some others. I really couldn't get a good picture of the main track. When I get those pictures from Bondurant I'll post some of those if I'm able to.

Oh instructors, my main instructor was Corey Hosford who was a very cool guy and a great driver/instructor, other instructors in our group were Les Betchner and another guy whom I think is named Jesse. All really good people. Overall I think what I took from the course which I found the most valuable to help me become a better driver is the practice of Trail Braking and just how all your inputs effect the dynamics of a car and how you can use those dynamics to your advantage to have the car behave in way to help you drive it smoother and faster. I'm looking forward to going back for a Advanced Road Racing Class possibly this winter, I'd like to get some racing in before hand. That's basically my Bondurant story in a nutshell, I'm sure I'm leaving details out so any more questions please ask, it's fun to talk about.

Gary
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I think the grade is a function of a lot of things. The first is your group. We had some hot shoes in my group, so just keeping up made me go fast. Second is that I only did the C6 cars, and I loved them. I probably would not have done so well in the formula cars. But with the C6, it was love at first sight. I understand what you mean about seat time. I probably did well over twice the time than at Skip Barber. Because I am a lapping fool, I just kept going and going and going.

I can't remember the course names, but I wish that we could have just stayed at the first road course (the one nearest the road). Then again, it probably helped to run a different course each day because in racing you do need to be a quick study.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Dale

23. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    You luckisonnova*****es!!!

I want to go! I have to start saving up. It's $4K, isnt it? Tell me more. I might wait until the cooler season starts however. I also was looking at Skippy. Anyone have thoughts there?

24. G Rides

G Rides Karting

Nov 5, 2007
    SLO, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary T King
    #24 G Rides, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Retail on the four day Grand Prix course which I took is $4,795.00, they have a menu of all their courses with prices on their website. They discount the rates 20% on the multi day programs from July 1st till September 30th and if you're flexible with your time you can be put on sort of a stand by I believe, if some one cancels or they don't fill a class they give you break to fill if you can show up short notice, at least they offered me that option over a year ago, could of changed but worth asking. I feel it was well worth the money and time spent. I haven't been to any Skip Barber so I can't help you there but sounds like Dr Who has and may have a good comparison?

I just talked to them but have to run to an appointment, checkout the cool shirt attachment I can give more info later.

Gary

25. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Watch the heck out of your driving after you complete the course. You'll be late apexing every corner on the street and driving wayyy to fast for a while.