Another ferrari fire today (599) | FerrariChat

Another ferrari fire today (599)

Discussion in '612/599' started by tactical, May 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    #1 tactical, May 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    desgusted to see something like this...new Ferrari!

3. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    If GM had cars spontaniously combust as relatively often as Ferrari's and Lambo's seem to do, folks would be up in arms.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ferrari actually installed a system that will make the car combust itself when the owner is thinking of selling it to a non authorized dealer !

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    You mean besides the four-cylinder Fiero? But you are seriously right - this is a disgrace. I really don't know why the media is not all over this, although I guess I am glad they have not been.

Lets hope Ferrari sees this as a signal to put the house in order.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    GM would probably already have the recall in place. At least an investigation under way.

7. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    hmm, well since we dont get a post about every single gm that catches fire, I wont make judgements. I would like to see as % how many ferraris burn as do other production cars. We just get to hear about every ferrari that does.

8. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Why are some of you talking about ppl speaking in the 3rd person???
    If you are so ashamed of the brand, buy something else.

Aren't we talking about some isolated incidents anyway? Do we have data to backup the general feel that this is happening disproportionately? My guess would be that this simply makes for better news, thus it's splashed all over the media.

Are you also aware that VW Vanagons engines also have fire issues due to weak fuel lines (true story!). When was the last time you saw the news covering one of those going up in flames? You don't because it doesn't make for salacious news.

9. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    When or if i ever see a top end exotic $250,000 plus VW burst into flames i will still think its scandalous.

10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Like mentioned before it seems worse than it is because not every GM car fire is declared on the boards. It's far from good news, the last thing I want is to have a $250 000 bon fire. There are bound to be problems no matter how much you test and all that, **** happens sorry guys.

11. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    um, because there is no story? maybe the media doesn't consider a couple of cars burning (for who knows what reason) out of the 100,000 made a big deal. Just because a few internet weenies want to make a big deaL about it doesn't make it a story. my next door neighbors bmw 7 series burnt to the ground in the grocery parking lot. didn't see any pictures of that on the internet. Why wasn't the media all over that. please.

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I hope somebody brought some marshmallows........

I see cars on fire on the side of the road all the time. In the past few weeks I've seen a Chevy, two Chryslers, a Lambo, and one car so far gone I couldn't tell what it was, on the side of I-95, on fire. Somewhere one of these governmental agencies must have some data on whether or not the amount of fires in exotics is proportionate to mass-produced vehicles. It would be interested to know for sure.

I personally believe exotics do catch fire more often than regular cars. Probably has to do with the fact they have less heat-shielding and protective material in the engine bay so if some kind of flammable liquid is introduced there are flames.

13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LOL..that will teach those flippers..

14. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Ferraris simply catch fire and have a documented recall history for faulty fuel delivery systems throughout a range of cars including the 3x8 series to present. It is a Ferrari problem and is embarrassing. You'd think with all of the wealth and engineering that wouldn't be the case.

Disturbing is this happens not just on the mid-engined cars but front engined as well. In fairness, we don't know why this latest one caught fire; there is just the stark image without explanation.

15. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Come on, there's probably 1000s of Honda's, Toyotas and other makes catching Fire every day, but that doesnt get media attention. There's no curse or anything wrong with Ferraris..

16. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Unsettling at best. I hope the dealer has insurance.

17. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    True, but should we also bring up incredibly silly rubber coating on interior parts that turns to contact cement or the fact that some experience really poor performance from leather interior?
    How about factory paint jobs.... hardly known to be perfect.

Granted a fire is far more dangerous and damaging, but we could play the "you'd think" game all day.

[truth is, most days around here we do! ;) ]

18. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    +1

People don't see car fires that often, so when the photos of burnt-out Ferraris and Lamborghinis show up online, they think Ferraris and Lamborghinis catch fire at a much higher rate than other cars. They don't. I have a friend who is an EMT at my college, and he tells me he responds to at least three car fires each week - simply at my college. It's just that they never make the papers, or get posted on Internet forums...

19. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, they (media) sure did beat down on the Silverado pickups (without cause) and made the poor old Pinto into the bespoke car of arsonists everywhere. As posted before on many threads - while we don't have the true statistics, there just seems to be too many spontaneous fires, and this particular model pops up again and again in this area.

I love Ferraris and I hate to see stuff like this - I say if there is something wrong here, then they need to fix it.

20. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    100,000 made what are you smoking, these are $ 500.000 cars

21. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yep, but there are more than 1000x the number of Toyota's and Honda's built than there are Ferrari's.

22. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I think he may have meant all Ferraris of all models from day one till now...but you have the correct point. The 599 is such a low production and expensive car that even one or two spontaneous combustion events in practically new cars is way the hell statistically too many. (one was being driven from the Factory immediately after delivery, for gosh sakes)__

Please don't take me as criticizing Ferrari - I just want them to wake up and fix this before the 599 gets the image of the old 12 cylinder Jaguar XK series.

23. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    you are right and this is wy it should be public as much as we can so the guy,s in Italy wake up and build a car that represents $500.000.and is special and known for performance not a timebomb.

24. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Ye, exactly.. And hundres of those burn everyday.. These ferrari cases is a couple of times a year at most. So it adds up..

25. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    New Ferrari colour:

Rosso Fuoco

:D