scissor lift, dangerous? | FerrariChat

scissor lift, dangerous?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bpu699, May 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    I love my bend-pak scissor lift, and use it on the testarossa and 914 all the time. But I do question their safety. The locking mechansim seems quite secure, but I always worry that some fluke accident might happen and the lift collapses, or the car tilts backwards. I just don't want my obituary to read "Moron squashed by Ferrari." I suspect that's what the local news paper would print :).

Anyone have any safety tips?

I was thinking that if I could get some of those old metal milk crates, I could stack them up under the rear tires, so if the car falls (earthquake, whatever), it would at least fall forward and not onto me.

I usually put some jacks under where I think the wheels would sit if the lift collapsed, to give me a safety margin.

But honestly, I hate working under the thing if no one else is home. I figure that if something bad happens, at least someone is around to help...or document my last will and testament :). The testarossa is such a big tail heavy car, it just seems "unbalanced." The 914 is really not an issue - its so small compared to the footprint of the lift...

Seriously though, what safety measures do you guys take? I thought some cinder blocks would work really well, but I dont want to be dragging 10 or so of those around... Lately, the only time I can work on the car is when I am home alone... I hate thinking that one of my kids might run into the garage and get hurt.

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  3. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod

Ummm....all I can say is that you've been playing russian roulette. Never ever go under a car with only a jack stand...especially a scissor lift. I don't even go under one with only a floor jack.

I have a low profile floor jack and a set of rhino ramps and a set of jack stands. For yourself...it seems like a set of rhina ramps will work. Just jack the car up and place the rhino ramp under each wheel.

Please don't go underneath the car again with only the scissor jack. :)

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think he was talking about a $3,000 lift that brings the car up to about 4 feet high, it is quite a sturdy piece of work and not the $50 scissor jack you get with a GM vehicle.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Right. :)

I thought about the high lift jacks...any other thoughts?

6. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    Just get a set of tall jack stands. I'm always scared when working under a car, no matter what's holding it up. Can't be too safe.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    NEVER SUPPORT A CAR ON CEMENT BLOCKS!!! They are probably the most dangerous thing you could use short of a rusty bumper jack. They are known to crumble and collapse suddenly.

Tall steel jack stands are the best choice.

8. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Please show pics.

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Bottom line -- any lift is dangerous. But if you take the right safety precautions, the risk of injury is minimal with a quality lift. First, you must lower the lift down to the stops. You don't want the lift dropping, even a few inches, while you are working under it. Second, as recommended, you should have a set of tall jack stands to secure the lift at whatever height you are working at. Always be sure that the car is properly supported at solid jacking points, that it is balanced on the lift, and that everything is clear before lowering it.

Read the manual that came with your lift. If you do, you'll see that it has all the information you need about safe use. Do it right, and you'll be fine. Do it wrong, and it's squoosh-ville.

10. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto

11. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have the same BendPak scissor lift. Appears to be a quality built and engineered tool. I have never had an issue or heard of an issue with lift failure prior to my purchase.
    The key point, as stated earlier, is proper use of the lift. Use the correct lift points. Set the lift stops etc.
    Used properly the likelihood of scissor lift failure is no greater than 2 post lift failure. The lifts use the same lift points so the chance of the car flipping off either is also the same.
    In my opinion the BendPak lift is a considerably safer than floor jacks and jack stands.

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I plan to get a Bend-Pak or similar lift...three years ago I had the 330 2+2 up on jackstands, sans wheels, for two or so months; all four placement points carefully researched, highest quality stands I could buy. Scared schitless every minute I was under the car.

13. jhfiero

jhfiero Rookie

Mar 31, 2008
    sioux falls, sd
    Full Name:
    justin
    i am very familiar with the bend pak lifts, they are a good brand, and you really don't need the tall jack stands. i would just make sure the car is on the lift in a manor that it won't lean one way or the other. basically, just use common sense and you'll be fine.

just my .02,
    justin

14. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
    Really, no need to be paranoid. You could have those same concerns about any lift.

15. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Cant be safe enough, use the tall jack stands as mentioned.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #16 Wade, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner