Condition of Economy - Will it be a buyers market F430? | FerrariChat

Condition of Economy - Will it be a buyers market F430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by tabiggs, Jun 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tabiggs

tabiggs Karting

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Sorry if this is a stupid question:

Given the overall economy and people/dealers who are selling these. As a buyer, am I going to have any extra buying leverage and price negotiating when purchasing a slightly used one later this year.

I am a new member and will be purchasing an 06 or 07 F 430 later this year so I am just starting to look and curious if the the overall situation of the auto market and economy has any effect on the dealers or private owners who sell these. I know its pretty general question and buying a 200K exotic car caters to an entirely different buyer but I have seen alot of sitting inventory that would suggest some of these have been for sale for some time now.

Can anyone help me better understand this type of market

2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Probably not. Buy the best car you can for as little money as you can buy it for. However, I suspect you'll pay over MSRP for it, until the replacement comes out in 09.

Art

3. csun213

csun213 Karting

Feb 1, 2006
    The price of 430 is already dropping. I think it will drop even more when the new F412 comes out in a couple years. You can now buy a 05 430 coupe for around 200K now.

4. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Yes, ..prices for used Ferari's are falling ..dealers are asking for less markup on new ones.

Exception is the ENZO, F430S, and California.
    Too high demand to lower their values.

5. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    One member here has his for sale asking 177K.

Dave

6. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    in suffering economies, the super wealthy are the last to feel any negative impact.
    in fact, many have accumulated their wealthy by taking advantage of opportunities stemming from struggling economies.

7. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    wow.. thats a steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Great point.

9. TimsBlack16M

TimsBlack16M Formula 3

Jan 27, 2005
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The majority of Ferrari owners do not qualify as the "super wealthy".

Tim

10. ucorders

ucorders Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    Used Ferraris are usually bought by ordinary workers like me. Granted we have good jobs but we are less impulsive to open our wallets when we know the people who buy from us are struggling. Less demand equals lower prices. I would not call it a buyers market yet but there are signs of it.

That being said the best value is probably still not the cheapest car you find. Differed maintenance is in the price of the car. You just don't know it when you buy it.

11. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    notice the title of this thread mentioning 430 ferraris.

if you have $250k+ for a piece of carbon fiber on wheels you ARE CONSIDERED VERY VERY WEALTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    For what its worth, Ferrari of Central Florida has an 06 F1 430 convertible with less than 3000 miles on it for$259,000. Grigio over rosso with gray stitching. May not be to everyones taste but stunning in person. There were probably 5 other spyders on the floor as well as several coupes. This has to be affecting prices.

13. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am not sure how the new California affects 430 pricing. It's a different car. The 430's took a haircut maybe 10 percent. There are people who will need to sell because of the ecomony but probably not that many.

14. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You don't have to buy a car from the "super wealthy" just some poor schmuck who is overextended --- plenty of those. Best

15. Juggernaut84

Juggernaut84 Guest

Dec 22, 2007
    Somewhere in Cali
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Good point as this was what I was thinking of while reading this thread. People like us who work regular well paying jobs don't worry about buying an exotic brand new, when you can still get the same enjoyment from a used one. We understand that if you can't afford the depreciation then you probably can't afford the car. So we're very careful with where and how we spend the money we make, well some of us are like that. But then there's people like me who also could care less how the market will affect their bank accounts tomorrow. Instead, if I want to buy an F430 then I'll get it and enjoy it regardless of how much the gas or the economy will affect us. We all make money to spend money and life is all about luxuries in the first place right? So in my opinion, if its the economy you're worried about, I'll say it will level out over time. But if you're worried about not being able to afford the car because of the economy, all I can say is not to think of a Ferrari as an investment. If you want it, go out and get it. I'll be an F430 owner in a few years when my enlistment in the Marine Corps is up. Good luck with your search and I hope you find the Ferrari you've always wanted. Best

16. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There are actually two sides of the coin. The economy does affect wee to do folks, especially business owners. It is a falacy to believe that "the rich are the last to feel effects". Often, they are the first. The flip side is that the slower economy also reduces the number of potential buyers. So, you end up with 1. greater supply and 2. fewer buyers. Lower prices are the only way to balance the equation.

Dave

17. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    One of the unknown variables is the rate of inflation over the next 5 years or so. That, and the devaluation of the USD, could have the effect of keeping 430 prices above $200k for several years to come. Granted, $200k is not the same amount of relative money in the future (from a buying power point-of-view) if we've gone through 5 years of double-digit inflation. So, if we are entering a time period where the new cars MSRP will be climbing rapidly, you could see the 430 cars holding their value.

Inflation-adjusted dollars become much more important if fixed rate financing is involved. So, if a car stays the same dollar amount over time, even though the buying-power of the dollar goes down, it really helps the subset of people who financed the car (or if they did an indirect form of financing like taking out a home equity loan to buy the car).

It would be interesting to build a table of Ferrari models by year showing their typical 2008 used selling price versus their original MSRP (with typical options ordered on the car). For example, I think a 1989 328 GTS had an MSRP (ordered with typical options) price of $75k or so. And now in 2008 nice ones sell for around $65k. If you did this, you'd see that the early 360 cars have not depreciated as much as it seems since their MSRP prices were so much lower to begin with.

Food for thought.

18. csun213

csun213 Karting

Feb 1, 2006
    I would just wait unitl F412 comes out in about 18 months (or until I see the preview), just hate to buy a 430 now and then have it drop $40,000 in a few months.

19. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I would say the price over MSRP is down about 20% over a yr ago. Those of us who were lucky to get our cars at MSRP will see the cars hold a little better value as the MSRP had gone up on the 08 models by adding CC brakes and due to the drop in the dollar. I am sure a buyer who puts $60K in options on his car will not get the same return at resale as a car with only $10K in options. After two years those two cars would only have maybe a $20K difference in their selling price.

20. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Prices are definately coming down. Currently there is a very nice '05 430 spider silverstone/red w/ 4K miles on ebay for buy it now price of $235K - that is @ least 10% less than it would have been last year, probably 15%. Same vintage coupes w/avg. mileage are below $200K. Best.

21. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    #21 ammoman, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008

I would have to see the options list on that car to agree with you.
    Update:
    MSRP $217,800
    That's not too good an example of "prices coming down" IMO
    My (MY 07 MSRP) was $259 and i paid $295... 3 months ago.
    Eric

22. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    I did not want to start a thread on this, but can you explain this to me?.......

What is the difference between a 360 and 360 Challenege S ? Is it the same idea as the 430 and the 430 scud respectively?

Where does the 360 Modena fit in?

23. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Its a CS - Challenge Stradale not a 360 Challenge S. And its relationship to the regular 360 is in some ways similar to a 430 Scud vs a 430. Do a search on Challenge Stradale and you will have a lot of catching up reading to do.

24. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    Thank you very much

25. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    That was the original MSRP of that particular '05 F430 6 speed Coupe. Not a steal but priced right, (based on the particulars) in todays market.