Condition of Economy - Will it be a buyers market F430? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Condition of Economy - Will it be a buyers market F430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by tabiggs, Jun 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I doubt the "Super Wealthy" would be forced to sell in this kind of economy anyway, but there might be a chance they just want something new.

2. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    My dealer told me for every one person that calls to buy a car 6 calls are from people trying to sell a car. People are trying to unload 550's, 575's, and a TON of 360's. He said the used 430 market is getting softer every week.

3. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Agreed - however, my point to the original poster was getting a "deal" usually results form someone needing to sell rather than choosing to sell. These days, showrooms and media are flooded with cars of all types because things did not go as planned. Best

4. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC

Checked a ton of dealers and can't find a single new Ferrari in the USA priced at MSRP :)
    Says alot to me.
    Eric

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Very unlikely.

6. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    I would not mind if Ferrari's dropped to MSRP or below.
    Let's see:
    I want a SCUD, 599 or a California for my wife.
    I'll upgrade to a new 2008 430.
    Bring it on.
    Eric

7. boxsterboy986

boxsterboy986 Rookie

Jun 4, 2008
    i know of a 2007 F430 F1 spider 300miles asking $279, who's interested

8. boxsterboy986

boxsterboy986 Rookie

Jun 4, 2008
    well the only ones that can be obtained at msrp are 612 scag

9. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    Not me if the MSRP was $217
    I would say that might be overpriced.
    Eric

10. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    Miles?

11. Oddball

Oddball Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Marcel Niederhausen
    #36 Oddball, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
    I would be nervous about buying from the type of person you described. If they are having financial difficulties, chances are all the required services have been neglected or ignored completely.

Better make sure all records are there and legit.

12. tabiggs

tabiggs Karting

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston Texas
    Thanks for all your replies; some great points and interesting angles of view here. Juggernaut84 put it in easy terms, life is all about luxuries in the first place right? I have 4-5 months before I turn in my Porsche 997 TT so not quite ready to pull the trigger yet.

I personally believe there is quite alot of supply right now. Most of the F430's just dont seem to be moving very fast, dealers and private owners that are selling these cars may not feel "the weight" from holding the bank notes quite yet but I believe "any buyer" is going to have alot more leverage in the upcoming months. I do not see the market in general getting any better right now.....Just my thoughts here.

13. yellow 355

yellow 355 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2005
    ocean city,nj
    Full Name:
    Ben Murphy
    The world is full people lining up for these cars wake UP!!!!

14. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC

I think that's what they don't get.So many people and so few (incredible) cars and that's why they get over list.
    Millions of "potential" buyers and only thousands of cars.
    I can tell you where to get a Bentley or Lambo brand new and below list right now.
    I doubt we will see that with Ferrari.
    Eric

15. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    If you want a 430 I would wait a few extra months. once the replacement is announced, you will likley be able to spec your own 430 at the end of the run at MSRP.

16. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Interesting idea. It might work if you find the right dealer.

17. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    #42 charliebronson, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
    As the F430 is a mere entry level f car, and produced in record amounts (my guess is production numbers will be at least equal to the 360 generation), the F430 has plenty of depreciation left in them. I dont see one good reason why it shouldnt dip as low as the 360 or the 355 for that matter.

High production numbers coupled with rising gas cost (probably not a huge problem for any potential f car buyer) and the increasing eco stigma that exotics carry with them, will make highend cars less desirable and push the price down further. All one has to do is to search any major listing for ferraris, and its abundantly clear that there is a glutt of 360's and 430's that arent moving fast enough for any dealer to be comfortable.

Add an increasing lineup from ferrari and one can see an additional reason for further depreciation. As the California GT (F149) comes out alongside the F430 replacement, my guess is that the resale value for the entry level V8s never will be the same. Ferrari is increasing its market share just like porsche has done, which leads to decreased brand exclusivity, which in turn might lead to further depreciation of past models. After all, whats the fun in driving an exotic that everyone and their dogs have? In most major cities, nobody will bat an eyelash at a 997TT. I wouldnt be surprised if a "run of the mill" Ferrari will get the same treatment in a few years.

As far as the degree of wealth of F car owners go, Id say they are all over the spectrum. With so many ferraris on the used market, it's no longer a toy for the hyper, super or just regular wealthy anymore. In LA, anyone with decent credit can drive a $200 000 ferrari. That is the beauty of credit! Ray Johns will disagree and say that one can't afford a ferrari unless its paid in cash. However the vast majority of financed ferraris will prove otherwise.

On a more longterm note, which you (the OP) obviously dont have to concern yourself with, but collectors should give a thought to, is the fact that gasoline engine technology in all likelyhood will be replaced by something else, most likely something more eco friendly. The technology is already there for ethanol, electric and hydrogen engines. Most likely none of us on f chat know when they will be implenmented on a large scale. However, if that was to happen in lets say 20 years, who would want to keep their modena, F430 or even stradale or scud for that matter? By the way, its a well known fact that there is a "green" F430 spider out there.

Either way, Im getting way ahead of myself. For you (OP) just sit comfortably in the drivers seat and watch the market. IMO there, has never been a better time for a buyer, in the market for an exotic. Nobody has to play the "get on the list game" with authorized dealers anymore. With so much inventory in the hands of "used dealers" one can now get well sorted 05's for below msrp. If you are willing to wait another year, the lowest list would probably go down another $10K or so. As a buyer, the world is your oyster and you can do anything you want to do or at least buy anything you want to.

GL and have fun shopping. The acquisition process is alot of fun or at least it should be.

-Peter Oh

18. tabiggs

tabiggs Karting

Apr 28, 2008
    Houston Texas
    When you say.........

"The world is full people lining up for these cars wake UP!!!!"
    You are missing my point.....

I believe the typical pricing structure over MSRP may soften some

The sellers /dealers are going to want turn their inventory and many dealers are not moving and turning their inventory as often right now....

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    2012 will see early 430s selling for $125k..........Already see several with $185k ask prices.

20. charliebronson

charliebronson Formula 3

Dec 5, 2004
    Full Name:
    Charliebronson
    I disagree, they will sell for less than that.

-Peter Oh

21. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Darn, you mean these things aren't investments? Get real, these cars are toys. Just enjoy your car and take your hit. If you can afford one, buy one. Staying on the sidelines waiting for this or that probably means you will never have one. They will always be too costly or liable to depreciate.

22. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    +1000

Want to drive the most comfortable fun car on the planet? Buy a Bentley but figure it to be the worst depreciating car on the planet.Like $35,000 a year for the first 2 to 3 years.
    I want to be buried in one :)
    Eric

23. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    If it's Arnage then the hit is more like a $100k in first year,my wife's '07 Spur with Mulliner pkge (MSRP $195k) was just appraised at $120k as a trade for new Conti Speed.

24. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    If you wanted to make the effort to figure out where F430 prices are going in a recession-type economic environment you probably could. This contraction is worse than the 2001 situation, but you could look at how the 360 went down, plotting the graph, and see how it looks.

Although the 360 was a newer model at the time and some of the variable would be different it would probably be instructive.

That being said, people making $300K a year can afford a recent Ferrari but are not 'wealthy' or blithely rich. Maybe just comfortable and they are economically impacted by business cycles.

There are two markets for Ferraris, the mass produced models and the collector/super cars. The later are bought by people who really aren't impacted that much by business cycle swings. These values seem not to have suffered much or even gone up in some cases. The 'ultrahighnetworth' group is $30M or more in liquid assets, not including thier homes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_net_worth_individual

Owners of mass produced cars who want to know what their car is worth should put it on the market and see what offers they get, in like a 90 day period for example. That is the value, and that value is dropping faster than it was a year ago for instance, across all non-exotic, non-super Ferraris.

Lastly, Ferraris market strategy is to race F1 and produce super cars occasionally for the sole purpose to burnish the brand image. Then they "mass produce" and sell cars at good margins to pay for that marketing. They make the most on the largest production, like the F430.

This is why they are launching the California. To sell a lot of cars. And this is also why they copied the old California so heavily. They are marketing monsters and will put the Cavallino on everything down to underwear to exploit the brand.

25. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    I have the Spur and my wife has the GT.
    Traded my GT on the spur.
    Same type hit.Never seen anything like it but don't really care because i just have to have them.Never driven anything like the Bentley.
    Eric