4 qts of oil lost in 1,000 miles??!! | FerrariChat

4 qts of oil lost in 1,000 miles??!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by chairpilot, Jun 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    My '83 308 QV runs great, does not smoke (ever) and drips some oil (or trans fluid, I'm not sure) when parked. I recently checked my engine oil level again when I began noticing the pressure staying down under 3 bars most of the time and almost nothing (1 bar) at idle. Checking the engine oil level I was horrified to discover it needed over 4 qts to bring in into view on the dip stick. This after only about 1,000 miles of conservative, sometimes briefly spirited weekend driving. I'm mad at myself for not checking the level more frequently. I sure will from now on - at the start/end of every drive! I probably should pull the plugs and check them too.

A mechanic friend (NOT an F mech) told me it's possible the engine oil may be seeping into the trans section (i.e. not burning it or leaking on the ground) and to check the level there. I will do this ASAP to check on it anyway. However, is this a possible cause of loosing oil for this model car?

Are there any other possible causes of loosing this much or is this "normal" for a 25 yr old engine with 24,300 miles on it. What else should I check on?

Thanks.

Bob R.

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Are you checking the oil level per the owner's manual instructions?

3. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Check you shift shaft seal, common problem

Wade

4. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    i have an '84 QV, and would suggest the following areas to look. you may want to consider that it is a few "minor", common things, as opposed to one glaring problem (which makes sense because you're showing no symptoms).

-shift shaft seal, common leaking spot
    -distributor gasket where it meets the cam/block, a goofy 3 way seal (particularly rear bank) that can drip but be evaporated/burned while you drive so nothing makes it to the floor

-check the coolant in your overlow tank to make sure it has no oil drops (big trouble)

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    He figured out he was not checking the oil level properly. http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201751