Allow me to vent - people parking just to P&$% YOU OFF!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Allow me to vent - people parking just to P&$% YOU OFF!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by newgentry, Jun 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    ding ding ding

its not the spot...its the attitude that some deserve special parking privileges such as 'beat up redneck' cars not parking next to them. A spot is a spot and everyone is entitled to use them regardless of what their cars looks like or is valued at.

That IS arrogant and self important.

2. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Man this thread got hostile.

Parking lots are treacherous--tight, crowded, oblivious cell-phone yappers reversing in SUVs, old people in Buicks with reflexes like molasses. Everyone fights for the nearest spot due to laziness. If someone parks far away in a space that no one would normally want, it's a signal: stay away from me.

Respect those people.

3. Rohit

Rohit Rookie

Apr 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealan
    Full Name:
    Rohit
    A parking space is a parking space is a parking space. Unless it was in a specially reserved "no cheap cars allowed" lot, the Audi driver had just as much right to park where he did as the Ferrari owner in this case.

Again, coming from a non Ferrari owner, if it irks you so much, maybe you shouldn't park in public lots?

But to expect special privileges because you drive a car that's somewhat more expensive than others...well, to me, pretty much embodies the somewhat less than stellar reputation that Ferrari owners sometimes have. I know the vast majority of F-car owners (on this forum at least...maybe?) are different, but dude...You're ranting. At another car owner. For parking next to you. In a public car park. With spaces for people to park their car. Wherever they want. Including the spaces next to cars that cost more than their German redneck mobiles. Think about that one.

4. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    I have to admit that it drives me crazy when people park too close. I've had to climb in from the passengers side because people park too close to open the door. Three weeks ago I parked at a Wendy's. Empty parking lot chick parks right next to me. Put a ding in my door. we were the only two cars in the lot and she parks where she damages my car. There's no excuse for this behavior. It's careless behavior. You park next to me watch your door. Better yet if there are lots open spaces leave some room. To me this is just light the speed bandits that hog the left lane and match speeds with the semi next to them. Up the hill going 50 down the hill going 90 not letting anybody get by.

5. jason_1979

jason_1979 Rookie

Feb 16, 2005
    ohio
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I dont know about everyone else but when this happens to me i never think anything of it.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sometimes one gets the feeling that the car owns you as much as you own the car.

7. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    It annoys me that the original poster acted like this. If I ever see an exotic car parked a few rows away from regular cars, I will make a point to park next to the exotic (leaving considerably more room than usual) because I know I won't dent the exotic - but I don't know if someone else will. Remind me never to do that if I see a parked 328.

8. Rohit

Rohit Rookie

Apr 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealan
    Full Name:
    Rohit
    #58 Rohit, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008

Having to vent because someone dinged your car in an empty parking lot? More than justified, no matter what you drive. Hell, I'd be pissed off if that happend to my Evo. But having a rant because someone parked next to you is a bit different.

Just to clarify, what exactly do you mean by too close? Like you're in your space, and the other guy is within the lanes of space? Quite often I've come out to my car, with the cars next to me still within their spaces, and it's impossible to open the door more than a few inches. Thats just how carparks are I guess. The tighter they make the spaces, the more spaces they can fit, and spaces=more cars=more people=more money.

Being pissed at getting a ding? Somewhat unavoidable but sorta understandable.
    Being pissed off at people parking next to you without damaging your car, like the OP? Time to pull your head out.

Edit: Doug, I'm gonna try to park as close to exotics as I can without damaging either car from now on. Especially 328's. Also, GTP represent.

9. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    That signal is complete nonsense... He doesnt own the parking lot to say where people should and shouldnt park... He also doesnt pay for anyone else's car payments or insurance, so what gives anyone the right to tell you what to do with your car?

A yr ago when I drove a 250GTO on the italian coast, I remember driving through a small village where there were no other high-end cars - If anything people appreciate seeing the work of art, but this idea of "someone will damage my car" is idiotic. You want someone to stay away from you, show them respect first, then they will respect your "needs".

OR... If the guy is so macho, why not get a driver to bring him in the Maybach?

10. fenzoman

fenzoman Karting
    BANNED

Jun 19, 2008
    Really happy to see the class of Fcar owners in general. We are fortunate folks.

11. mashoutposse

mashoutposse Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2005
    People who park their cars next to mine do not bother me as long as:

1) I can enter my car comfortably.

2) My car is not damaged in any way.

The OP's reaction is justified in situations where either of those two rules are violated.

12. krasnavian

krasnavian Formula 3

Dec 24, 2003
    Los Angeles/Paris
    For years I parked my Ferraris in red zones leaving a note (out of gas--gone for gas) under the wiper blade. Never a ticket or a dent was had. Once I saw someone start to write a ticket but stopped short when he saw the note.

13. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"
    This thread has certainly made me do some thinking.

When I first got the car, I was too afraid to park it anywhere--I saw pictures of people's cars being bashed and hit in parking lots, and I just plain didn't want to spend the time and inconvenience of having the car fixed if something happened to it. Yes, it's just a car, but when I smashed the front spoiler (myself) it cost me $1000 to have it rebuilt, and several days in a body shop 50 miles away. What a pain!

Then I thought, this is stupid, I bought this car to enjoy it, I'm going to have to park it--so I bought a shift gate lock and started parking far away, and would worry about it constantly. I remember freaking out at a restaurant when I came out and a HUGE beat up pickup gardening truck was parked right next to me. There were no dents or dings, no problem. I remember feeling weird for the car being so far away in lots where people couldn't see it, or if they did, it really stuck out like a sore thumb.

Now I just park it up close--people really enjoy seeing the car, kids look at it, people appreciate it. It's more fun and I don't worry about it getting stolen or vandalized. To me, that is worth the chance of a door ding. If I get one, I suppose I'll fix it next time I take it in.

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I used to be anal when i got my first car, i would worry about every single noise or would want the paint to look factory new even if the car was 10 years old..until i realised i was constantly worrying about something or even trying to find something to worry about and the experience wasnt fun. I reflected on it for a while and eversince i just enjoy the car, of course i treat them with respect but mostly as a car that is there to bring me fun. I dont count the miles, i park where i find a decent place, i love driving it in the rain and i let my friends drive it.

15. fenzoman

fenzoman Karting
    BANNED

Jun 19, 2008
    Being wealthy enough to own a high end car used to mean letting your house manager worry about any problems with it. Call me conservative, but I don't want to own any car I need to sweat over.

16. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    :lol

note the OP is "new gentry" not old gentry. :)

17. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    No kidding. In the 47 years that I've been walking this planet, having done and said a lot of things, in all kinds of contexts, I have never, EVER, touched a nerve like I did with this post. And all over a vent about where I parked and who parked next to me. Its been truly amazing and enlightening to watch, some of the replies have fallen into the category of "every time I think I've seen it all." Talking about how many paragraphs I use or what my screen name implies? Come on. But, some made complete sense, so you can consider me educated, for sure. Perhaps this was my overdue "welcome to F-Chat" flaming. For those who I have so obviously offended, I will be an adult about it and offer a sincere apology - it was completely unintentional and I am not, I assure you, the sanctimonious ogre that you so clearly assume that I am. For those who have expressed sympathy and support, I thank you for it - it took some guts to get in the shrapnel zone given some of the grenades that were being lobbed my way.

18. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Hey Robert, don't sweat it. Fchat has the same cross section of people as the rest of the world.
    Kwright was in town this weekend from your neck of the woods. If you have not met him yet, you should shoot him a message. Great guy. I want to try to head over that way and see what this 421 is like, supposed to be a decent road :)
    Best,
    -J.

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I see everyone's point about it being a public lot and people can park where ever they like. All true. But sheesh, if the guy is nervous about his car being dented and parks way out where there are no other cars, that is perfectly reasonable. Anyone with a brain can see the nice car parked way out there and assume the owner is just trying to keep his car from being damaged. It's not that much to ask to just leave the guy a little space if he hasn't done something obnoxious like take 2 parking spots. We all know that many people in parking lots just don't care, and open their car doors into you. Hell, I have had it happen while I was still in the damn car!! (I leaned out the window and said "Excuse me, will you watch what you are doing please?" She looks up in surprise..."Oh sorry!" Duh!)

Anyway, imagine you go into the mens room. There are 10 empty urinals in a row. So you pick one and start to take a leak. Some other guy comes in, takes a look at the whole row of urinals and then takes the one right next to you. Total break in male protocol. Everyone knows, unless the place is packed, you leave a urinal free between you and the next guy....it's just polite. Same thing in parking lots. When there are plenty of spaces to go around, there is no need to jam your car right next to another one. (But if you park right up close to the building where all the lazy ass people want to park, you take your chances.)

Just my $.02

Birdman

P.S. I try to park on a high spot on the parking lot so the damn carts won't roll downhill into the car. I've seen that a few times.

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Maybe the guy had the same feeling about his Audi (I'll park next to the Ferrari so I won't get a dent). It happens all the time, I believe the person just wants to look at the car and hopefully is an enthusiast. Anyone ever have any damage done by these people?

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    LOL great analogy.

22. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    :D http://www.addictinggames.com/theurinalgame.html

23. fenzoman

fenzoman Karting
    BANNED

Jun 19, 2008
    It is surprising you've lived for 47 years, showed hands like the one you did in your post, and not yet heard from anyone.

It reminds me of an employee I have (he's soon to be a past employee) who made a racial slur and was amazed when people reacted with shock, he really thought all people hated blacks.

What people are reacting to is the total lack of noblesse oblige, showing the humility one shows when he knows how much more fortunate he is than most people. Having the perspective that comes with wealth and position that to whom much is given, much is expected.

Your post did not seem to be just about your worrying about dings in your car. It smacked of thinking people are so envious of a low end Farrari that they aspire to piss you off, something that is clearly easy to do.

24. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    This is probably just another one of those embellished Ferrari vs Vette stories, meant to endear the OP to FC'ers, that always results with the unexpected negative reaction.... What does this one make, 719? :)

How do you feel now?

25. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    #75 Rory J, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
    Wow... by far one of the most offensive posts I've read in a while. I can certainly understand the frustration, but you've taken things to a whole new level. What amazes me most is that you judge character on the make and condition of other cars. Just because someone drives a beat up Audi is no reason to commit such character assasination. I'm sure that most of us have all been in situations where a beat up car was the best we could do (be it when we were young students or whatever the case may be). He didn't so much as mark your car, so you need to chill out. If he had parked over the line or actually damaged your car, then I'd be upset.

I wonder what 599GTB drivers think when you park your "lowly" 328 next to them...

Get off your high horse. It's completely unwarranted and is embarassing to this community.